• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

iPod Adapter Shootout!!!

New to NSX life - picking up mine next week and need the ipod hooked up for the road trip!

Seems you like the Grom. I have looked all over and cant determine whether it connects in the trunk or behind the head unit. "Specify the 8 pin CD changer cable?" Can you do this online or only over the phone? Does that make it connect in the trunk?

I appreciate the "easy" and "semi-permanent" monikers, but you could clarify which can/do connect in the trunk on the DIN CD changer cable and which connect to the back of the head unit? I dont want to have to rip the dash apart to connect the ipod adapter on the road next week, so I need one that connects in the trunk. At least for now.

I recommend that you order the Grom iPod adapter using this link. When you pay, specify the 8-pin CD-changer cable in the remarks section for your Paypal payment. Install it behind the driver's head, underneath the horizontal panel, as outlined in post number 5, method number one. You should be able to do this in 30 minutes or less if you study method number one beforehand. It is easy to install and it will make for a permanent installation. You will NEVER have to open up the trunk, dash, or touch the door panels.

If you still want a quick trunk installation, get the USA-Spec PA11-HON and place it in the trunk up underneath the CD-Changer and plug it in. That is about all there is to it - it will take about five minutes to install it in the trunk, ten if you are distracted. If I remember correctly the unit draws power from the CD-player so you don't even need a power lead. If you choose the USA-Spec PA11-HON, you will have to create 5 playlists on your iPod so that you can access the iPod from the car stereo buttons. You are required to name these playlists HONDA1, HONDA2, HONDA3, HONDA4, and HONDA5, but you can optionally append a suffix. (Examples: HONDA1 - Showtunes, HONDA2 - This is Spinal Tap, HONDA3 - O Brother, Where Art Thou, HONDA4 - Lemmy, HONDA5 - Sling Blade Soundtrack) The USA-Spec PA11-HON could still be moved into the interior compartment later for a more permanent installation.

I personally have the USA-Spec PA11-HON installed buried in the dash and it is a great unit, has a second input for XM or something else (anything else), and is a quality unit. But after comparing them, I determined that the Grom iPod Adapter is the best choice for most people for a number of reasons and the Neo Pro Link is a fantastic adapter as well. Still, there are other compelling reasons to choose a different adapter entirely from any of these three. I tried to cover those reasons in the comparison, summary, under Best for...

Last edited:
Perfect! Thanks for the link to the install thread. Answered all my questions.

I encourage anyone else who got this far and is still confused on connections to check that out. Great install pictures.

I was most interested in the Neo (despite the expense). I am particularly curious about how it worked with the Bose stock radio system. I was wondering, once installed, does the Ipod and connection hide in the car's center console? And you stated it can be controlled with the car stereo, but I wasn't clear what functions can be controlled. I would plan to lose my car's trunk mounted cd changer, so this unit would connect directly into the back of the stock stereo, am I correct on that?

You can install the Neo Pro-Link in several different ways. You can bury it in the dash under the oem stereo, attach it up underneath the glove box above the driver's feet, locate it underneath the horizontal panel behind the driver's head, or even mount it in the trunk. The easiest way would be to locate it behind the driver's head as outlined in my response above.

Although I haven't personally examined the Neo adapter, it should be able to advance backwards and forwards through a music list and select different playlists right from the oem head unit. You can also control the iPod directly from itself, which works out perfectly well if you run the cable to somewhere in or alongside the oem center console so you can reach your iPod easily from the driver's seat. The Neo also charges the iPod.

Remove the trunk-mounted CD-changer. Just leave the cable where it is though. Plug the Neo adapter into the 8-pin CD-changer plug behind the driver's head, as outlined above.

I installed the Grom unit today. OMG!!! No more waiting for CD changes. This is the best mod yet for us “all original” owners. Anything I add to my car has to be totally reversible.

I installed it in the trunk and took all of 5 minutes. It took a lot longer to load up the iPod. I got a plastic case for the iPod and Velcro’d both units to the CD changer. If I need the iPod in the cab for some reason I’ll just add the extension. Works with the SmarTenna and the sound is great. This is my first iPod so I still have questions with my playlists but hopefully I’ll figure it out.

I got the unit from GromAudio on eBay. Sent an email stating I needed the round 8 pin CD cable and all cables must be black. I got an immediate reply stating that it would be shipped with correct cables. I received the unit 3 days later and everything was correct. It was an excellent buying experience.

I did not have the volume problem that others had in previous posts. I recommend this unit to anyone who doesn’t want to reinvent the whole audio system.

Thanks to Hapa88 for posting this find and all who posted comments.

Dave

Attachments

• IMG_1243a.JPG
    IMG_1243a.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 314
Thanks for posting your selection and installation method. These reviews are helpful to others who are considering making the switch. You might consider mounting the iPod and Grom Adapter behind the CD-player in some fashion to protect it from things sliding around in the trunk. There is probably enough room behind the trunk liner for the adapter; leave the iPod cable poking out and locate the Ipod behind the CD-changer maybe.

I personally would remove the CD-player and get rid of it. Your iPod has now become your trunk-mounted mp3-player and it holds a lot more music - I can't see you ever going back to the CD-player.

Last edited:
I installed the Grom unit today. OMG!!! No more waiting for CD changes. This is the best mod yet for us “all original” owners. Anything I add to my car has to be totally reversible.

I installed it in the trunk and took all of 5 minutes. It took a lot longer to load up the iPod. I got a plastic case for the iPod and Velcro’d both units to the CD changer. If I need the iPod in the cab for some reason I’ll just add the extension. Works with the SmarTenna and the sound is great. This is my first iPod so I still have questions with my playlists but hopefully I’ll figure it out.

I got the unit from GromAudio on eBay. Sent an email stating I needed the round 8 pin CD cable and all cables must be black. I got an immediate reply stating that it would be shipped with correct cables. I received the unit 3 days later and everything was correct. It was an excellent buying experience.

I did not have the volume problem that others had in previous posts. I recommend this unit to anyone who doesn’t want to reinvent the whole audio system.

Thanks to Hapa88 for posting this find and all who posted comments.

Dave

Clean Install. Interesting where you chose to mount the ipod and Grom unit. My concern would be there isn't any protection from something hitting it as you corner at 60m/hr!
I was thinking of mounting the iPOD just to the left of the CD player and hiding the Grom unit behind the trunk inside liner.

Clean Install. Interesting where you chose to mount the ipod and Grom unit. My concern would be there isn't any protection from something hitting it as you corner at 60m/hr!
I was thinking of mounting the iPOD just to the left of the CD player and hiding the Grom unit behind the trunk inside liner.

I usually don’t have anything in the trunk so I really didn’t think of that. I’m not sure how hot it gets in the trunk but I thought that the metal case of the CD player might act as a heat exchanger.
If I put anything in the trunk I will have to think about that.

I had to add the cable tie to hold the unit together. The first time I pulled it off the Velcro the back came off the unit. :confused: I didn’t want to glue it on.

The Grom adapters are pretty new to the market, so I don't think anyone has had them very long. I can't address the long-term reliability of the Grom iPod adapter myself, as I have the USA-Spec PA11-HON. Any Grom owners care to provide a status report?

I have been fielding some more questions from owners of other (non-iPod) mp3 players lately. I just want to point out that there is an adapter for virtually every application in the original review - one or the other of those adapters will work with virtually any mp3 player or music-enabled cell phone available. Ipod owners should choose the Ipod-specific adapters, and non-iPod owners should choose a non-Ipod-specific adapter. No single adapter will work with each and every music player, but between all of them, one of them will almost certainly work for you. None of the adapters is the "best" for every application, but one of them will almost certainly work with your specific music player! Ipod owners will enjoy head-unit control and charging, but non-iPod owners can still drop their music player in (or alongside) the center console and enjoy great-sounding music through their oem Bose stereo.

I really admire those double-din head unit installations - some of them are really loaded with features, and they are getting easier to install with the support of aftermarket companies like Science of Speed. But if you aren't ready to drop over a grand for a double-din installation, but would enjoy having a vast music selection tailored to your specific tastes at your fingertips, the adapters are a great way to go, at less than $100 in most cases.

Last edited:
Is the GROM iPod adapter completely reliable ? (please tell me how long you use it)

I have this unit in both my Mazdaspeed3 and in my NSX. I have NOT had a single problem with it in my NSX, but then again I don't drive my NSX everyday.

I've had it in my Mazdaspeed3 for about the same amount of time (~9 months). Last week I noticed I was unable to access it. I normally would switch to CD and it would start up, however it would read "No Disc". I read on the Mazda forums that all you needed to do was unplug the Grom Unit for 30 secs and plug it back in to reset it. Since mine is mounted behind the headunit, I opted to just unplug the car battery for 30 seconds. This solved the problem and I haven't had any problems since then.

Still probably one of the best and easiest mods for the NSX. I still highly recommend this unit!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys.....I will be planning on doing this mod eventually.....this is really helpful for the non ipod experts like me.

Grom now offers a USB Interface so the iPOD is no longer required.
just a USB stick up to 32GB. Works the same as the iPOD. But now you can mix an match memory sticks. (maybe different music on each stick) up to 5 play lists, CD#1 plays all from the root directory.
Now you don't need to put the iPOD in the car. Just mount this in the trunk with a cheap memory stick to replace your CD changer.
I just bought a 16G for $22.00CDN. (much less than an iPOD.

http://indashpc.org/new/usb_adapters/grom-usb-mbus.html

Does Grom have a non-iPod version? I want a general MP3 adapter since I'm not an iPod user.

Yes see:
http://www.gromaudio.com/usb.html

diagram_grom_usb.gif

Have mine for 2 or 3 weeks now, Installed behind the driver's seat/panels, pretty easy, just removing the hatch release was a NIGHTMARE, other than that WOW, best mod EVER!

Oscar

Meh. This is what I used. Took me all of about 30 minutes to install to the back of the HU, works beautifully with an iPod Touch and I retained use of the OEM CD changer in case I ever DO want to use it. I have this exact setup in 3 different Acuras and have never had problem one:

BLITZSAFE_HON_MLINK1_1D.jpg
BlitzSafe HON/M-Link V1.D

img1664963.jpg

PanaVise vehicle specific mount
image.asp

ProClip iPod Touch bracket with pass-thru adapter
28.jpg

Installed.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it---

Last edited:

Happily came home to my new GROM USB adapter sitting in the mailbox today.

Simple removal of CD changer, simple installation of adapter...then the trouble started. :frown:

Having all kinds of issues with the head unit/adapter.

It plays music from the USB stick, but is doesn't play the first track on a "disc" unless I go back to it. It skips tracks, it skips "discs", it won't play some "discs", it won't play some tracks...

I've put a note into GROM Tech Support. Will post results here.

Thanks for keeping us up to date, the USB option is the one I like. Hopefully tech support gets it working correctly.
John

Update!

USA Spec now supports the iPhone (both original and 3G) as well as the newest iPod devices. The new adaptor plays music, allows you to use the factory stereo buttons, and charges the devices while connected. We have these available here:

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/interior_performance_products/NSX/USASpec/

USA Spec is shipping these with the new interface adaptor and proper cable for the iPhone. The price has increased with the new cable - others sold online for less do not include the new cable require for iPhone / new iPod connectivity.

Cheers,
-- Chris

Just an update on the GROM USB adapter.

After fiddling with this and dealing with Dmitry for over two weeks, I'm about three days from calling it quits and returning it. :frown: In either case (success of failure) I will post a lengthy description of the known issues later this week.

GROM USB Adapter

Pros to this system (if they ever get it to work properly for us):
  • You don’t need an iPod
  • You can actually turn the OEM head unit into a 9 disc “CD Changer”
  • You can play MP3, M4A (AAC), and WMA

Some cons to this system:
  • You must create the “DISKS” on the USB drive in order, chronologically. If you don’t do this, for example if the Disk 5 folder is created at 7:00pm and the Disk 6 folder is created at 6:55pm, Disc 6 will play as CD5 in your head unit, and Disk 5 will play as CD6
  • You cannot copy a “playlist” per se to each Disk. As you copy files, Windows sorts them by leading number, or alphabetically if there are no numbered tracks (as would be expected). The tracks will only play in the Windows sort order.
  • You cannot have more than one track in the folder **start** with the same number. As an example:

DISK 1
1.File1.mp3
2.File2.mp3
1.File3.mp3
2.File4.mp3​
In this case 1.File3.mp3 will play as 1st and 3rd tracks, but 1.File1.mp3 will never play.

• Another thing that was recommended to me was that the following structure would work:
DISK 1

Folder 1
1. File1.mp3
2. File2.mp3

Folder 2
1. File3.mp3
2. File4.mp3​

In this case you could put a full album in “Folder 1” and another one in “Folder 2” and the duplicate track name problem goes away. Well it goes away all right…the last 4 tracks in Folder 1 didn’t play and nothing in Folder 2 played. I never received further recommendations or a solution to this issue.
  • For the small numbers of you who have a Mac, you must bring the USB drive to a Windows machine and remove all of the “hidden” files that MacOS creates in order for it to work at all.
In my specific case, in addition to the list above (which you can actually work around if you have the patience) I experienced the following showstopper behaviors:

• Tracks would randomly not play
  • Tracks would actually “skip” (i.e., stutter)

Worse, these behaviors were not entirely reproducible. For example on different passes through the “Disks” sometimes a track would play, sometimes it would not. In other cases a track would never play.

I sent two dump files to Dmitry during this process and while he was always very cordial and relatively helpful, he wasn’t all that responsive and in general did not make me feel that this problem was big deal to GROM. (As a disclaimer, I manage a technical support division for a software company, so perhaps I’m hyper sensitive to less than exemplary technical customer service).

What finally caused me to return the adapter was that after not hearing from Dmitry since the morning of Feb 10th, when on Feb 15th I emailed and informed him that I’d expect another set of “tests/instructions” to try by the 18th at noon or I’d have to just return the unit. His response surprisingly came only 18 minutes after my email.

In it he said that they couldn’t “guarantee a fix” by then and that he’d send me an RMA number on Tuesday.

As such, I bought an iPod on eBay and the GROM iPod adapter, which is what I simply should have done in the first place.

In conclusion, tonight I told them I did this last bit, and the response was that I should keep the USB adapter since they’d have a fix for me to test on Friday and I can just send them back the iPod adapter for a refund. It would have been nice for them to offer to do this in the first place two weeks ago…:frown:

I am sorry to hear that you had so much trouble with the USB adapter. It is a great idea that is so new that they apparently haven't worked out all the bugs yet. Grom or another company may get the bugs ironed out eventually.

Adapters for the iPhone 3G and later generations of iPods are showing up in the marketplace as well.

Last edited:
Will the USA Spec ipod adapter work with the Smartenna if the adapter is installed in the trunk? I have read reports that it will not.

Last edited:
Back