• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

iRiver - Out of Biz!

I read that article several times & didn't read anywhere that they were "out of biz" although their business is obviously severely down from peak?

The President of iRiver America US operations is an NSX owner and a member of this forum.

I'm more curious about the Wibro.....how in the hell do they think they can compete?! Sony & Nintendo pretty much corner that market already...plus you can share games with the DS (both players can share one game wirelessly...in other words, the other player temporarily downloads his/her opponents game).

I've bought many iRiver products because I'm always for the underdog. That is why I disliked Microsoft (no offense John@Microsoft) and preferred Apple. But, I find it ironic that I preferred Apple to Microsoft for the exact same reasons as I prefer iRiver to Apple. I'm even tempted to say it is the same reason why I prefer the NSX to other similar cars.

Sorry to see them go...

This is bad news. So i better go upgrade the 128MB iRiver I've had for years before they disappear completely? :confused:

I've always prefered iRiver - i dont know why people buy iPods except as fashion items. Sorry to offend iPod lovers here, but i think they suck. I dont want to use iTunes. I want full control over what i copy without copyright nonsense or having to use 3rd-party software to bypass protection mechanisms. The iRivers were great because they could be used like a USB key, they weren't crap like some of the cheapy MP3 saturating the market, and they weren't in a lame white "look at me" case like iPods.

Very sorry to see iRiver go. :frown: So what happens to the iRiver H2? :D

NeoNSX said:
...and they weren't in a lame white "look at me" case like iPods...

im sorry you don't like things that are well designed. apple design is hardly "look at me".

a majority of it is simply black on white with clean, uncluttered type... or a clean uncluttered OS, or a clean, uncluttered music player.

in my opinion, the iPod is the best player on the market and there isn't a close second.

Correction: i do like things that are well designed. I love the NSX dont I? :)

I guess our opinions differ: while i usually like clean, simple, uncluttered designs, I hate that you can only get the iPod in white. I dont want white. But white is the iPod/Apple trademark.

There are many other real reasons i dislike the iPod, but I know I'm part of a minority group and in the interest of forum peace, i'll keep these reasons to myself. :) You are entitled to your opinion, and I'm sticking to mine.

I'm also sad to see iRiver go away. They made some very neat and innovative products. We didn't even get many of their cool PMP devices over here in the US. The whole WiBro focus is nutty tho. That's not going to work. Nokia and Gizmondo (who turned out to be a big fraud) attempted this and failed badly. Even Sony isn't doing all that well in the portable market.

The iPod is a well designed product, but I attribute most of its success to Apples' fantastic marketing campaign. I'm definitely not an iPod fan (I hate iTunes and i don't like closed standards), but u really have to give Apple credit for positioning the iPod the way they have through their marketing. They've convinced 99% of consumers that the iPod is the only player to consider. Realistically the vast majority of buyers are not tech savy and probably don't even read 1 mp3 player review or comparison before making a choice. So Apple only really needed to create a good product (I'll give it that) and market it fantastically well.

btw, check out the "i don't" viral marketing campaign that Sandisk recently started. www.idont.com I found it amusing, but they could have done a much better job. If I were them I would have played off the goofy ipod "shadow" ads more. Unlimited possibilities =)

Jimbo said:
http://www.engadget.com/2006/05/23/irivers-future-wibro-gaming-or-bust/

... Reigncom isn't out of biz, but the iRiver product line is gone .....
It still does not say that .........
It says "But we may not be seeing too many new models from the company."
That's not a statement of fact, that's a speculation
Now - I'm not saying it is or isn't true (I really don't know one way or other), just that you can't deduce what you are suggesting (i.e. out of biz) from the articles you linked.

and the parent company will be focused on this WiBro game thing
That, maybe ...

Last edited:
NeoNSX said:
There are many other real reasons i dislike the iPod, but I know I'm part of a minority group and in the interest of forum peace, i'll keep these reasons to myself. :)

To hell with peace. iPods suck. They are poorly made, overpriced, you can't remove the battery, they sound like crap (well all the MP3 players sound like crap but iPods are the worst of the lot), the user interface sucks and did I mention they were poorly made? :smile:

If you *must* get one of these little things at least get a Creative Zen Micro. It has a ton of features the geniuses at Apple apparently forgot to engineer into their spartan little junk box.

Just to clear a bit of the speculation here... :D

That initial article makes a lot of assumptions on its own, and then a substantial amount of additional speculation has been applied to that, so here is the straight dope.

1) All areas of consumer electronics require constant effort to ensure that you have the right road map, from cell phones to digital cameras to game systems to digital music players, etc. As such, from time to time you have to take a look at what new technologies are available to enhance your roadmap, looking at things like WiBro/WiMax, DMB/DVB, in our space only makes sense. Especially when iriver has a dominant share in the South Korean market which also happens to be one of the first world markets to make a major investment in WiBro. WiBro is much different than sitting next to your friend and playing Tiger Woods golf on your PSP ;) It is having a broadband internet device in your hands for streaming video, audio, downloads, internet business applications and gaming.

2) While Apple certainly has a strong hold on the world market of digital music players, this is a huge business and focusing on key areas where the business is the biggest only makes sense as well, the strongest markets remain to be in South Korea, US/Canada, parts of Europe, Japan with growing markets in China and Australia.

3) This article comes on the heels of an a new product announcement alligned closely with MTV Networks (URGE) and Microsoft (WMP11) as iriver has rolled out the second generation U10, the iriver clix see:

Just to clear a bit of the speculation here... :D

That initial article makes a lot of assumptions on its own, and then a substantial amount of additional speculation has been applied to that, so here is the straight dope.

1) All areas of consumer electronics require constant effort to ensure that you have the right road map, from cell phones to digital cameras to game systems to digital music players, etc. As such, from time to time you have to take a look at what new technologies are available to enhance your roadmap, looking at things like WiBro/WiMax, DMB/DVB, in our space only makes sense. Especially when iriver has a dominant share in the South Korean market which also happens to be one of the first world markets to make a major investment in WiBro. WiBro is much different than sitting next to your friend and playing Tiger Woods golf on your PSP ;) It is having a broadband internet device in your hands for streaming video, audio, downloads, internet business applications and gaming.

2) While Apple certainly has a strong hold on the world market of digital music players, this is a huge business and focusing on key areas where the business is the biggest only makes sense as well, the strongest markets remain to be in South Korea, US/Canada, parts of Europe, Japan with growing markets in China and Australia.

3) This article comes on the heels of an a new product announcement alligned closely with MTV Networks (URGE) and Microsoft (WMP11) as iriver has rolled out the second generation U10, the iriver clix:

http://reviews.cnet.com/iRiver_Clix_2GB/4505-6490_7-31861628.html?tag=lst

And the 3 party launch review:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4321-6490_7-6455229-1.html

Clearly more than a few people have an agenda :D

Anyway, enjoy the new iriver clix, it's here to stay, and as for WiBro/WiMax, the US will likely have to wait awhile, but that's the direction our gadgets are heading so expect to see a number of companies "refocus" including our friends in Cupertino ;)

jonathan

zahntech said:
I just can't get that damn Iriver song out of my head!!....."catch the digital wave"......:eek: :tongue:

My sincerest apologies :D As retribution, check out our music page that we update monthly, free downloads featuring great artists and find a new song to replace "Catch the digital flow" which has been retired ;)

http://www.iriveramerica.com/music

NeoNSX said:
I dont want to use iTunes. I want full control over what i copy without copyright nonsense or having to use 3rd-party software to bypass protection mechanisms.
What has iTunes got to do with copyright nonsense? I have 2000+ tracks in iTunes on my computer and 99% of them are unprotected MP3 and AAC files that I ripped from my own CDs using iTunes. I have a few tracks that I bought from the iTMS that are copyprotected but no one forced me to buy them and they are a tiny part of my collection.

That said, I'm sorry to see iRiver go. Competition is good.

Back