• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is Audi beating Honda to the punch

I posted this in the Frankfurt but figured this really does deserve it's own thread as the similarities to what has been leaking about them using from the Dualnote. Weight you'll see is still very much an issue. Also check the full article as it will as it will probably be priced in full competition with Honda is talking.

"One of these ideas is demonstrated by the powertrain: The e-tron Spyder drives its rear wheels with a midship-mounted, twin-turbocharged diesel V-6 good for 300 hp and 480 lb-ft of torque. The front wheels are powered by a pair of electric motors that combine for 88 hp and 260 lb-ft. Audi is hopeful that, despite their extra weight, electric motors employed in this manner will make cars more agile, as they can apply torque with extreme precision and celerity.

We also tried out electric operation, which was by no means sluggish but not nearly as impressive as diesel mode. Combined diesel and electric propulsion wasn’t an option—it’s a concept car; that we were allowed to drive it at all is unusual. We loved it with the diesel alone, and can only guess how this car would scoot in theoretical production trim—more than 400 pounds lighter, with the diesel at full power and the extra assistance of the torquey electric motors. Audi says it could do 0 to 62 mph in 4.4 seconds and reach a governed top speed of 155 mph. Why not?
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/audi-e-tron-spyder-prototype-drive-review

I like the specs, but it looks like a boat just like the R8. Also the rubberband CVT is lame. I hope Honda does not follow that tradition and go bloated style... I still have my fingers crossed for the original NSX platform having major influence on the "new" vehicle. Something like the "Avenger NSX" would be great.

Honda has about 2 months still to prepare for the TAS. Let's hope they show something elegant/sleek and not bloated like 95% the current offerings right now.

Last edited:
I swear sometimes I think the car companies come in here and read my posts! Honda can do it better, cheaper and more reliable than Audi. The big question mark is will they?

I agree it looks like a boat

can you imagine if you flipped it? your dead on impact.

I hope honda hears our voices

they did it before and they CAN do it again. build a super car that they will use as a base platform/compare for any of their designs for 20+ years

build something that makes the other non-reliable car companies
think twice.

I think that Honda is Going to release a new super car But, i believe it is going to be a surprise.

I swear sometimes I think the car companies come in here and read my posts! Honda can do it better, cheaper and more reliable than Audi. The big question mark is will they?

Well someone actually started a thread based on one of your posts:biggrin:
http://vtec.net/forums/one-message?message_id=1011696

Audi is targeting the same price range as Honda on this one and it will be interesting to see how they will stack up in a VS competition.

Guess we still have to wait and see if Honda will actually deliver on what we've been hearing "leaked" so far.

Back