• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

is everyone here an iPhone lover?

...when we were first developing this phone...

Does this satisfy the FTC requirement for disclosure? :wink:

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2009/10/endortest.shtm

I like underdogs, so I bought my wife a Palm Treo Pro and I'm looking at the Droid instead of the iPhone. The same principle is also why I have an NSX and not a Porsche and an STI and not an EVO and a Tundra and not a F150 and an iRiver and not an iPod...

I have really gotten to like my Droid. It does almost everything and, in my opinion, is a better piece of equipment than the iPhone with a very competent OS. That said, there are some quirks that require a little more thought than operating an iphone.

I'm loading a movie right now on my droid. It's as easy as transferring something to a thumb drive.

You won't be disappointed. There are some bugs, but overall it is an incredible device with a very solid OS and tons of apps that Apple wouldn't even give the time of day.

I love the iPhone / iPod Touch, but I got an Android phone - the Samsung Moment, with full slide out keyboard.

Android OS is amazing, and having data sync with the cloud (eg gmail / gvoice) is truly awesome.

It's really a shift from a traditional phone to a mini-computer that can run cloud services in your pocket.

And the scary part is this is only the 1st / 2nd gen devices / OS. The platform and hardware is only going to get better from here on out. It's going to be an amazing ride with Android!!

PS - it's great to have competition, so long live the iPhone / webOS as well. Microsoft mobile too maybe if it doesn't die of neglect.

android's still in early stages of development... give it a few years and it'll be quite the os / stack.

that said, i've got a 3gs and i like it... although i rarely use the phone capabilities.

My first Droid suffered from a wierd glitch that turned out to be pretty common, causing the phone to randomly reboot. Hundreds of times a day!

Took it back, got another one and couldn't be happier. This phone is simply amazing. It is far superior in quality to the iPhone, but laggs significantly in the app department. Once the apps catch up, this phone will be superior. The camera quality and the GPS services alone push this unit ahead of the iPhoned-it-in.

I've had my Droid for about two weeks now, so here is my impression comparred to the iPhone I had.

First, the battery life of the new Droid is less than a new iPhone. I need to charge it every other day, whereas the iPhone could go four or five days without a charge.

Second, navigating the Droid isn't as instinctive as the iPhone. It's easy to navigate the iPhone. It has better shortcuts and it's easier to make a call from the Favorites list.

Third, the droid forces you to delete the entire text thread. The iPhone lets you delete individual entries and it keeps the name active.

Fourth, I liked downloading the Apps into iTunes and then onto the phone. The Droid forces you to download them directly with the phone which can eat up battery life.

Fifth, I liked having a seperate headphone and charging jack with the iPhone. The Droid only has one jack so you can't charge and talk handsfree at the same time if you use headphones.

Sixth, if you want to lock the phone the mechanism to unlock is goofy. Instead of entering in a number combination like the iPhone, you have to drag your finger over the screen and connect the dots. It's awkward to do while driving.

Seventh, enlarging the screen isn't as easy as the iPhone. Tap twice and it's bigger with the iPhone. With the droid you have to use the magnifier. PITA.

Now for the good stuff. The Droid has as many good Apps as Apple, and some are better. There are "widgets" that you can put on your screen that give you live, up to the minute, updates. Pretty cool if you are out doing errands and want to keep an eye on NFL and NHL scores. The Google Map App is awesome with the free built in GPS. The best part of the Droid is the price of the phone and my service plan. I paid $98 at Walmart and my monthly service for unlimited everything is $82.00 including all bull$hit fees and taxes with T-Mobile.

So there it is. If you had an iPhone, the Droid is almost as good. If you never had an iPhone, then you don't know any better. I myself liked the iPhone better but I didn't want to spend $600 for an unlocked 3GS this time around.

My wife loves her iPhone....
and for some weird reason, she also loves this comic strip.

help.png

:biggrin:

I like the cartoon...lolz very funny..A long that note...........

benz.jpg

Mercedes-Benz announced its new telematics platform - called mbrace - on Monday, featuring an improved navigation system that provides directions, access to up-to-date location-based traffic and weather and information about points of interest along your route. The new service also integrates with car owners' iPhones, allowing them to find their Benzes and unlock them with a single tap.

The new Mercedes system replaces its 10-year-old Tele Aid service and comes standard on most models. There is built-in GPS capability and two-way data communications using Verizon in the US. If you're in an accident, the system will detect it by sensing if the airbags have deployed or if the Automatic Tensioning System on the seat-belts is triggered. An alert is sent to the Mercedes-Benz "Emergency Response Center," where an operator will attempt to call your iPhone. If they're unable to get through or if the user requests assistance, emergency services are immediately dispatched.

For normal use, the iPhone app will will lock or unlock a Benz remotely: literally remotely. Because the app sends commands to the car through its the 3G or WiFi connection, even if the phone is on one coast and the Benz on the other, it will still lock your car. The app will also locate your car and tell you how to get to it, and unlike some other apps will pinpoint the vehicle through its GPS transponder, rather than making the user remember to tag the car’s location when it's parked.

And of course, if you want to find your nearest Mercedes dealer, the app will help you do that, too.

The iPhone app is free. The Mercedes C-class starts at $33,600 US.

I've had my Droid for about two weeks now, so here is my impression comparred to the iPhone I had.

First, the battery life of the new Droid is less than a new iPhone. I need to charge it every other day, whereas the iPhone could go four or five days without a charge.

Second, navigating the Droid isn't as instinctive as the iPhone. It's easy to navigate the iPhone. It has better shortcuts and it's easier to make a call from the Favorites list.

Third, the droid forces you to delete the entire text thread. The iPhone lets you delete individual entries and it keeps the name active.

Fourth, I liked downloading the Apps into iTunes and then onto the phone. The Droid forces you to download them directly with the phone which can eat up battery life.

Fifth, I liked having a seperate headphone and charging jack with the iPhone. The Droid only has one jack so you can't charge and talk handsfree at the same time if you use headphones.

Sixth, if you want to lock the phone the mechanism to unlock is goofy. Instead of entering in a number combination like the iPhone, you have to drag your finger over the screen and connect the dots. It's awkward to do while driving.

Seventh, enlarging the screen isn't as easy as the iPhone. Tap twice and it's bigger with the iPhone. With the droid you have to use the magnifier. PITA.

Now for the good stuff. The Droid has as many good Apps as Apple, and some are better. There are "widgets" that you can put on your screen that give you live, up to the minute, updates. Pretty cool if you are out doing errands and want to keep an eye on NFL and NHL scores. The Google Map App is awesome with the free built in GPS. The best part of the Droid is the price of the phone and my service plan. I paid $98 at Walmart and my monthly service for unlimited everything is $82.00 including all bull$hit fees and taxes with T-Mobile.

So there it is. If you had an iPhone, the Droid is almost as good. If you never had an iPhone, then you don't know any better. I myself liked the iPhone better but I didn't want to spend $600 for an unlocked 3GS this time around.

DocL

I have TMobile and have been contemplating just getting an iPhone and unlocking/jailbreaking it for TMobile. I am not so sure how it would work after doing that but from what I read, it seems to run fine except a bit slower as ATT 3G uses a different system than TMobile 3G. (2G would work as well as the slower edge I think)

I REFUSE to go to ATT and pay double for a crappy network. (all my friends/coworkers with ATT constantly drop calls or cut out) What droid phone do you have and/or recommend? I didn't like the clunkiness of the G1 and not sure I am buying into the hype of the mytouch. The motorolla cliq is another one I believe and there are some others. Any recommendations or should I just get a used iphone and unlock it? FYI, people are getting a crazy amount of money for used iphones on ebay/craigslist so looking for a better option if they even exist.

DocL

I have TMobile and have been contemplating just getting an iPhone and unlocking/jailbreaking it for TMobile. I am not so sure how it would work after doing that but from what I read, it seems to run fine except a bit slower as ATT 3G uses a different system than TMobile 3G. (2G would work as well as the slower edge I think)

I REFUSE to go to ATT and pay double for a crappy network. (all my friends/coworkers with ATT constantly drop calls or cut out) What droid phone do you have and/or recommend? I didn't like the clunkiness of the G1 and not sure I am buying into the hype of the mytouch. The motorolla cliq is another one I believe and there are some others. Any recommendations or should I just get a used iphone and unlock it? FYI, people are getting a crazy amount of money for used iphones on ebay/craigslist so looking for a better option if they even exist.

On the ATT network thing, I have to say in San Diego, my experience has been very good. ATT has good coverage at my address, unlike TMobile which has a very weak signal. It must be a regional thing, how good your coverage is.

Last edited:

I have T-mobile also and they have no phones I am really interested in. I like the new bold9700, but it is too similar to my curve.

The MyTouch is their latest android phone, but it is still running android 1.6 and not 2.0 like the motorola Droid. That being said, I think you will be able to upgrade to 2.0 on the Mytouch in the near future.

Within a few months there will be android 2.0 phones all over and 1Ghz phones are not far away.

As for the iPhone, you can run it on Tmobile on edge, but it would be really slow. You just have to call Tmobile and they will tell you how to configure the iPhone for their network.

PS. Anyone sick of these new AT&T Map commercials yet... they are LAME... Verizon Owns them on 3G no matter what way you look at it.

how about tmobile with iphone?:biggrin:

I have T-mobile also and they have no phones I am really interested in. I like the new bold9700, but it is too similar to my curve.

The MyTouch is their latest android phone, but it is still running android 1.6 and not 2.0 like the motorola Droid. That being said, I think you will be able to upgrade to 2.0 on the Mytouch in the near future.

Within a few months there will be android 2.0 phones all over and 1Ghz phones are not far away.

As for the iPhone, you can run it on Tmobile on edge, but it would be really slow. You just have to call Tmobile and they will tell you how to configure the iPhone for their network.

PS. Anyone sick of these new AT&T Map commercials yet... they are LAME... Verizon Owns them on 3G no matter what way you look at it.

The T-Mobile 3G network runs on different frequencies than the hardware for the iPhone runs.

Honestly, I have been very happy with Tmobile in terms of service. I travel with my job and have never had coverage issue where my boss has iphone withh ATT and he is always cutting out. Also he pays more than double what I pay for the same service. ATT needs to readdress their pricing model. As others have said, nothing really compares to the iphone and a shame they haven't opened it up yet. I am intrigued by the droid but that is verizon right?

Honestly, I have been very happy with Tmobile in terms of service. I travel with my job and have never had coverage issue where my boss has iphone withh ATT and he is always cutting out. Also he pays more than double what I pay for the same service. ATT needs to readdress their pricing model. As others have said, nothing really compares to the iphone and a shame they haven't opened it up yet. I am intrigued by the droid but that is verizon right?

"DROID" is verizon, but it is simply their name for a phone with the Android OS. It is currently the only phone on the market running Android 2.0. It also has very nice hardware that makes it better than other Android Phones. (though I think CLIQ might have the same hardware, but running Android 1.6).

You obviously cannot run the "Droid" on Tmobile as it is a CDMA phone.

If you like the Droid though, give it 6 months and there will be plenty more to choose from.

I am a hard core windows guy. Been using Windows Mobile based phones for 6 years or so. There were so many negatives about the iPhone I did not want to give it a chance. No hardware keyboard, locked to getting apps from their store (unless you jailbreak), very little tweaking available, no removable battery or SDHC slot.

Two weeks ago the touchscreen on my windows mobile phone (AT&T Tilt/8925/KTC Kaiser) stopped working and it was either $400 for a Tilt 2 or $200 for a 16GB iPhone.

I went with the iPhone and figured I'd give it a shot. I REALLY did NOT want to like it, but despite its shortcomings, it's 100x more usable than my Windows Mobile based phones. It's FAST. REALLY FAST. I can hop on the internet and quickly check anything. With the WM phones, I basically had to devote 10-15 minutes to do the simplest thing, internet was so slow and the browser (based on IE4) was such junk. Even all 3rd party browsers (opera mini/micro, Skyfire) were also junk.

I'm a convert. Maybe Windows Mobile 7 will get it right in 2010, we'll see..........

BTW, this is the FIRST Apple device I've ever owned. I've avoided their products for 30 years, but I just got sucked in.

I got a refurbished 16GB one a week ago ($150 on AT&T website) and am very pleased. Very fast & intuitive. Also gets all my emails, something my Samsung Blackjack w/ Windows Mobile 5 could not do. Much better interface and functionality. Can even type fairly well with my big fingers which I thought would not work out.

I was set to get an iPhone for xmas because I have always wanted one even though it has some things I don't like. Lately though I have become more impressed with the newer lines of phones coming out. Droid might not be as easy to use, but the screen kills the iPhone and the browser is about as good, just as fast and it can multitask. That said it has its limitations also.

At the end of the day, I have decided I use BlackBerry Messenger more than I do any other part of my phone, so it looks like I will stick with bb. The browsing experience is sure lacking, but the rest of the phone is as good as anything else. I chat with friends all over the usa and canada and it never costs a dime, unlike text messaging, which gets expensive fast and international text messaging is RIDICULOUS.

So, no iPhone for me. Not sure what I will get at this point. I do like the new Bold 9700. We'll see. Of course there is always the 4th Gen iPhone, which better be a lot more of an improvement than the 3gs was over the 3g.

Just found out my sister threw away her iPhone. The touch screen failed and she could no longer dial phone numbers with 4,5 or 6. Her comment was that it was a really cool device-- and a lousy phone.

Just found out my sister threw away her iPhone. The touch screen failed and she could no longer dial phone numbers with 4,5 or 6. Her comment was that it was a really cool device-- and a lousy phone.

if you can dig for it in the trash, send it to me. I'll pay s&h. :biggrin:

Back