• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is the $30k down payment assistance over?

Happy new year everyone!

i got into looking for a 2nd gen nsx a little late in the game here and I’ve been reading about this $30k off. Is it officially gone for 2018 or is it up to the dealers if they haven’t spent it all on other deals?

anyone know for sure?

It only applies to MY2017 cars - so since they are done building those, just to ones already sitting at dealers. If you custom order a car today it will be a MY2018 at or around MSRP.

Unless a dealer is going to give $30k off them self, it looks like our vehicles just retained $30k in value.

Just bite the bullet and buy a used 17
you can find deals in the 120's with a little negotiating on some hi spec/lo mile cars

Guys,

Is there any way to get the $30k rebate again? I am looking to purchase one but the best deals I can find are around $130K range for a used one.

With the $30k rebate I can get a brand new one for that price if not slightly better. Most of the used ones don't have the exact options I want either (which is only ELS/tech package really). Don't want to pay extra for alcanatra when I prefer leather..

Guys,

Is there any way to get the $30k rebate again? I am looking to purchase one but the best deals I can find are around $130K range for a used one.

With the $30k rebate I can get a brand new one for that price if not slightly better. Most of the used ones don't have the exact options I want either (which is only ELS/tech package really). Don't want to pay extra for alcanatra when I prefer leather..

The $30K is gone and it's probably not coming back according to sources I know.

From what I know, the $30K is gone ... but what it means, Acura dealership already kept the $30K, and RDR their NSX ..

So, still got the $30K discount, but warranty starts end of March .. (RDR their car) so dealers may sell them as demo etc....

I'm sure deals will return
they only sold 5 cars in April :eek:
such a great car but just wasn't priced properly from the beginning

Last edited:
I'm sure deals will return
they only sold 5 cars in April :eek:
such a great car but just wasn't priced properly from the beginning

I agree that it was not priced properly. When I put my deposit down in 2012 after the Detroit Auto Show unveiling, the price that the Acura guys at the show were talking about was "...in the $120k range for a car with a few options...", which would have been perfect. Obviously, that quickly swelled, and a car with "a few options" was $175k - $185K. If they could have made a fully loaded NSX be $150k tops, they would have sold the heck out of them. But at a fully loaded price of $209k, and for a car that is not as industry leading / ground breaking as the one before it, that is a tough road to travel. The amount of inventory they moved when they had the $30k rebate supports this. At a price point $30k - $40k less than where it was, the car sold well.

I'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere but do we know how much it costs Honda to produce an NSX? Maybe they should have tried a little less to profit like Porsche does on every car sold and aimed a little closer to what they make on every other vehicle in the Honda/Acura lineup

My understanding is Acura essentially paid the $30K out to the dealers (so no more requirements about financing, etc.). So it is up to the dealers to pass along those savings to a buyer. I was looking at two fully optioned 2017s (one in Nouvelle Blue and the other in Valencia Red) that had $206,500 MSRP - I got both offers down to $43K-$44 off MSRP and ended up taking the blue. For the remaining new 2017s, it looks like dealerships aren't willing to much below ~$165K (I had heard $50K+ off MSRP but could not find any sellers at that level).

I'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere but do we know how much it costs Honda to produce an NSX? Maybe they should have tried a little less to profit like Porsche does on every car sold and aimed a little closer to what they make on every other vehicle in the Honda/Acura lineup

I do not know what the actual cost to build an NSX is, but consider that Honda spent a reported $70 million to build the PMC in Marysville OH...... They assemble and paint the car there. I do not know if they stamp body pieces, pour metal castings, etc..... Then figure the $10's of millions of dollars in R & D, and you have to be at least $150 million just to bring the car to market. But this does not include the actual cost of the parts and pieces to put the car together. Maybe $75K???? Just a guess.... So, figuring 1000 cars built and adding up these costs you have to be in the $150-200million range? At the upper end, that would be $200K per car.......

I doubt the car was ever meant to make a profit, and was intended as a halo car that was to show the world what Honda was capable of......

Other than the cost to build the Marysville plant, the rest is a guess on my part. If someone has actual data, please feel free to correct me......

I do not think that we will see the Acura $30K rebate again. With less than 10 car sales per month, and the majority of those being customer special orders, there will be no backlog to incentivize the sale of cars left on the lot at year's end..... The real test for the car will be the first wave of lease returns beginning sometime in mid 2019? The cars will be 3 years old and most that were leased will likely have 20-30K miles on them. Guys who bought early and have high buy out numbers will have to let them go back to the dealers. Most of the buy backs will be in the $110-130K range. Hard to know where the values will be, but the low volume will help. I would guess that there will be lots of dealers who will buy those lease returns and add a profit on top, which could help prop up values a bit. Time will tell......

Last edited:
Its proportional to other Acura vehicles.

I was skeptical that the heavy discounts were over, but they have now cut production to 23 cars last month. I think they will let that continue for 12-24 months and then quietly stop. That should keep 2nd hand values very high...similar to 2005 Ford GT.

I don't think they will stop.....plus now that the ice is turbo , incremental power increases are much easier...:cool:.....

Back