• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is the NSX actually manufactured in the US?

Or is it just sold locally and still fully imported and manufactured in Japan, Im just trying to figure out why the NSX's are so dirt cheap in the US, I thought that all NSX's were built in Japan.

The search for an NSX is getting me down, they can't be imported and there are less than 100 in the whole country, with currently 5 for sale Australia wide, a new one isn't worth it in, your dollars a basic model starts at $188,033 USD here.

Dude, MADE IN JAPAN, like all the best Hondas!

Maybe it's down to your luxury car tax. I remember when living there, all imported cars like BMWs, Jags etc all seemed very expensive. Mostly to protect the domestic market. How many European car do you see on the road? Every other car here is a BMW, and Porsches are just everywhere.

Everything is cheaper in America, that's the way it is.

Hi

The NSX is manufactured in Tochigi, Japan.

Read more in the General info in the Faq

Regards

blade83 said:
Im just trying to figure out why the NSX's are so dirt cheap in the US
Last one I looked at was MSRP $89,900 and that was before destination charges, dealer markup, etc...!!! Dirt cheap?!? I wish.

Maybe cheaper than in Aus, but still far from dirt cheap.

Maybe it's supply/demand. The US gets a lot more than 100. :)

Heheh $89,900 USD is dirt cheap for a brand new one, when you consider that price here will barely buy a good condition 95 model, Im looking for a decent 93-94 model, manual and I expect to pay $80,000 AUD, which is $60,000 USD.

I knew the NSX was built in Japan, but I figured that it might possibly be manufactured in USA as well that I was un-aware of, sure there is luxury tax, but $100,000 USD of it??? you can see why the car is ULTRA rare here, and basically never sells, when the retail is $255,100 AUD, there is only one type-R that I am aware of in the country.

Yeah there are loads of BMW's and porsches its only the NSX's that seem to command such a premium, American cars are over the top too, for example a 94 Viper costs $110,564 USD and a Z06 corvette costs $202,702 USD second hand.

Does anyone want to swap me countries? :confused:

Hi

If you want to swap country with me you are welcome. :rolleyes:

My 1991 NSX set me back about $60.000 and I am not kidding.

Bought for a fair price, but with the added tax that Customs want the price was approx $60.000.

Let me know if you still want to swap :D

Regards

I know the prices of american cars is crazy ibdursty, very over the top, its a shame because I am a massive fan of corvettes and vipers, but at those prices as you can imagine (like the NSX) you dont see them here often/ever.

Its funny that the NSX should cost so much, when I can get an R32 Skyline GTR for $8,845 USD landed, so you can see why they are so common here

Because despite the car coming from the US, it is still manufactured in Japan, and as the car has been sold in showrooms here since new, it isn't allowed in, so you have the same problem.

Importing your american cars are so costly because you drive on the wrong side of the road :p so it costs about $25,000 for a conversion and even more for the compliance to AUS standards (ours are higher than yours).

Aus is also very strict on mods for example:

- Pod filters are illegal
- Blow off valves are illegal
- rims 2 inches bigger than stock are illegal
- steering wheels smaller than 350mm are illegal
- cars lower than 3 inches are illegal
- its illegal not to have a child saftey seat anchorage point
- although not enforced, its illegal to have power exceeding 10% over stock
- Nos is VERY illegal

Anything mounted on the dash is very illegal too, you will get a defect even for fluffy dice hanging on your rear view mirror FFS, and people are getting defects for having those air freshioners that go over the air-con vents.

AndyH said:
I heard any car with the VIN starts with a "J" is build in Japan, is this true?

Yes.

Not a particularly complete explanation: but it's a start ~. You'll notice most older Acura and Honda being with "JH" indicating it was built in Japan, by Honda. Other parts of the code will tell you what plant it was actually produced at, what kind of accessories were installed, trim level, serial number, etc.

Spinner said:
Lately, alot of the Hondas in the U.S. are assembled in the U.S....I think the NSX, S2000 and Insight might be the only exceptions...
Nope.

Last year, American Honda sold 1,349,847 vehicles in the United States, of which 314,578 were imported and the remainder produced in North America, as noted here.

Of all Honda and Acura vehicles sold in the United States, the following are...

...produced only in the United States: Element, CL, TL.

...produced only in Canada: Pilot, MDX.

...produced only in Japan: S2000, Insight, CR-V, RSX, TSX, RL, NSX

...produced in both the United States and Canada: Odyssey

...produced in both the United States and Japan: Accord

...produced in the United States, Canada, and Japan: Civic

Aus is also very strict on mods for example:
Pod filters are illegal
- Blow off valves are illegal
- rims 2 inches bigger than stock are illegal
- steering wheels smaller than 350mm are illegal
- cars lower than 3 inches are illegal
- its illegal not to have a child saftey seat anchorage point
- although not enforced, its illegal to have power exceeding 10% over stock
- Nos is VERY illegal

If you have an engineers certificate you can do some of the above, but it will cost and there is no real set concrete rule book. So the police can defect anything. I was defected for my seatbelts not being in their original position! (never been moved)

Steering wheels are illeagal unless it cam e out on that particular model standard (Xu1 torana for example)

Nos is illeagal on the road, but you can have the set up as long as the bottle is not in the car, during street use.

Private import is a little more lax regarding these points.

The other problem is the laws vary wildly from state to state. One of the yelow nsx's from Adelaide has to be registered in Victoria for some reason.

Back