• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is the NSX the least expensive (running) exotic you can buy?

...what is the least expensive NEW exotic car you can buy?

I would consider a Noble an exotic, even though it's technically a component car. One can be had for under $100K I believe.

To him. The thing is someone else might consider the Corvette an exotic, or even the Viper (I personally don't) but in the end, someone might. The exotic deffinition varries from perosn to person.

Some define it as a low slung, exclusive car that many people don't have (usually because it's expensive) that is fast

Some define it as a car that turns heads anywhere it goes, that is quick but not necessarily the fastest thing on the street, few are on the street but when you see one it's always an experience.

Some others say it must be insanely fast, but there could be a ton, depending on where you live obviously, could be large or small, must seat two

Some say it has to be fast, give you a thrill like no other, low, head turner and must have a heritage

Some say it can be slow, but should be a head tuner anywhere anytime, can be a handful

And so forth so forth.

There are SOOO many ways to define it, that it's just not clear anymore. Some say the 911 (including Turbo, GT3 and GT2) along with the Viper, NSX and Corvette are NOT exotic.

Some say the NSX and higher end Porsche's are exotic but the Viper and Corvette will never be.

Some say the NSX, 911's aren't exotics, but the Gallardo and F430 are.

Some even say that the NSX, 911, Gallardo and F430 are NOT, but the Murcielago, Enzo, McLaren F1 are.

Obviously in this case, NSX's and 911's are counting but my point lies, if someone considers a Corvette, GTR or Elise/Exige as the cheapest EXOTICS, then they will say those are the least expensive

If some consider those to be sports car, they'll say the NSX, if someone doesn't consider the NSX one, nor the 911, they'll say F430/Gallardo.

It's a good question, but i think some ground rules need to be set as to what are you considering exotic?

Is there a price?
A quality it has to meet?
A height requirement?
Seat requirement?
Feature requirement?
Brand requirement?
heritage requirement?

With all those "Some say..." I was waiting for the "Our tamed Racing driver...the Stig"

Haha, i totally forgot. I wonder what the Stig would say though.

I agree, I own an NSX but I'm sure many owners of other exotics (lambos, Bugatti, etc) would not consider it an exotic. Maybe because its Japanese, or because it was reasonably priced, not rare enough, not fast enough, etc. I think many folks would consider the new or old ZR1s more exotic than the NSX (more rare and faster).

Wikipedia equates exotic car to Supercar, this is their definition (I don't agree with it, i.e. why does it need to be mid engine?).

Supercar is a term generally used for a high-end sports car, whose performance is highly superior to that of its contemporaries. It has been defined specifically as "a very expensive, fast or powerful car with a centrally located engine"[1], and stated in more general terms: "it must be very fast, with sporting handling to match," "it should be sleek and eye-catching" and its price should be "one in a rarified atmosphere of its own."[2] but the proper application of the term is subjective and disputed, especially among enthusiasts. The use of the term can be dependent on the era; a vehicle that may have been considered a supercar in one decade may not be considered the same in another decade.[citation needed] The term supercar may refer to factory-built, street-legal sports cars.[3] Some vehicles referred to as supercars include many of the features required for race cars such as roll cages. [4]

I somewhat agree, the reason probably they say the engine to be midmounted is because otherwise it would count as being a Grand Tourer...and the fact that front engined supercars don't tend to catch the eye as well. Obviously there is at least one notable exception to that.

Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren

Others may include the Ferrari F599 GTB as well as the Ferrari 612 Scagieletti (sp?). But i believe the two Ferrari's are considered to be GT's...which is different than Exotic i suppose.

It depends though, do you consider the Nissan GTR to be an exotic? If you do, in theory, that would be the cheapest.

As to the issue of the NSX being an exotic and or a supercar...my NSX can answer that easily - its hand assembled, drops people's jaws and causes people to take a second look and even take a pic on their phone and keep it as their main page!:biggrin: Yes...mods do aid the car...especially exhaust, wheels and rims...but hell - look at the new Lamborghinis and Ferraris...they are extensions of the NSX!!

Dam:cool:

I think that the new GTR could be considered exotic... for now. I think it gets in because 1) it has an exotic level of speed right now (as does the ZR1) and 2) it is new and hard to get. But to me it's a temporary pass. Then again, the MKIV Supra was a world beater when it came out, and it was never considered exotic. The GTR is a tough call. Nissan did also make the street version of the R390 which IS an exotic car.

I think mid-engine has a lot to do with it. Really, the Lamborghini Miura was the car that set the exotic car moniker. Technically, the ATS 2500GT came before it (1963), but it wasn't a true production car and the Miura usually gets the title. There were other nice cars before the Miura (Ferraris, Maserati, even the Lambo 3500 GT), but something about the Miura changed everything.

The Noble is a good call Q. I wonder how many are in the US. There is only one listed on Hemmings right now.

My gracious wife purchased a seat for me in a World Class Driving event that was held just outside Road America. I had the good fortune to drive five supercars, which were the Audi R8, Ferrari 599, Lambo Superleggera, Spyker C8, and a Callaway C16. Honestly, I was wondering if I'd get back into my NSX and feel let down.

However, I was pleasantly surprised when I realized how my 16 year-old NSX can still hold a candle and feel relevant to newer exotics that cost over ten times as much. Admittedly, there was power difference, but it didn't detract from the overall driving experience and the feel you were driving something unique and special. You hear again and again that the original NSX was ahead of its time, but the point was quite literally "driven" home for me after this experience.

The Noble is a good call Q. I wonder how many are in the US. There is only one listed on Hemmings right now.

I know for sure there are at least three in Illinois. A guy down the street from where I work has an M12 GTO-3R. I talked to him last year and he was giving me the low-down of what's out there.

So, would an MR2 Turbo or non Turbo, Porche 914-6 or even 4, fiat X19 or a Lancia Scorpion (?) be considered exotics? They are all mid engine, now rare, exotic looking to a degree, born of some sort of pedegree, perhaps. But are they worthy of being considered exotic and all definitely cost less then an NSX if you can find good examples? Now none of these cars are in any way better than the NSX but are much cheaper and harder to find so could they be the more affordable "Exotics"? :confused:

Tytus

I think it was around 250 Nobles and this includes the M400 before they were discontinued in the US. Still available in England. Now, it is being sold as the Rossion which is the Noble chassis and engine with a restyled body and interior. I think 4 Nobles in IL, 3 in MI, had been 5 in MI. 3 in Indianapolis not counting the ones at the builder.

You can get a mint condition Noble used for around 60K. A perfect stock M12 sold recently in MI for 55K. Quite a few Nobles are no longer stock, 400 hp is nothing. Currently, 460 RWHP is bolt on changes for the M12 (New muffler, new intercooler and remapped ECU. Closer to 700 RWHP has been seen for all out efforts which mean injectors, bigger turbos, intercooler, exhaust with cat delete and remapped ECU. It is pretty incredible what the lowly Duratec engine can produce.

To put it in perspective, 460 RWHP with 14 lbs boost for the Duratec, 580 RWHP for 13 lbs boost for the NSX C32 (low compression high boost):biggrin:

If anyone wants details on how to get a used quality Noble, PM me. You can also do homework at nobleforums.com.

I know for sure there are at least three in Illinois. A guy down the street from where I work has an M12 GTO-3R. I talked to him last year and he was giving me the low-down of what's out there.

I saw an M12 pulling out of the entrance to Autobahn Country Club one time when I happened to be driving by, a couple of years ago.

The Esprit was my dream car when I was younger. Since buying an NSX, I don't feel much desire for one anymore... I think the NSX is a better car in pretty much every way.

A great site for info on the car is http://www.espritfactfile.com/. In particular, if you are considering getting one, you should read this:

http://www.espritfactfile.com/whyanesprit.html#DoIWant

OK. IF you consider a Noble to be an exotic car (I do), technically it is a component car - a British one made in South Africa. Which kind of opens this whole discussion up a little.

Would a Mosler be considered exotic too - I think so. Would an Ultima GTR - I also think so.

Going back to the price discussion, could you also consider the Factory Five GTM? Supposedly, you can pick up this kit for $20K and then add donor parts from a C5 Corvette - engine, suspension, plus a Porsche transaxle. They estimate the finished cost to be somewhere around $40K, for which you get a vehicle that weighs 2300lbs, with 500hp (or more) and basically unlimited tuning potential (there are a TON of Vette hop ups out there). It's like a lightweight, mid-engine Corvette basically. Looking at the specs, I don't know how you could go faster for less money. I think for $50 grand, you could build a car that could (reasonably, safely) top 200mph, which is bang for the buck AND exotic, by any stretch of the imagination. There are tons of videos on YouTube, check it out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4uAo5RLM6I

Now granted, there is kind of an icky stigma that surrounds a kit car, mostly because of the level of finish associated with those types of cars, and just plain bad ideas like the Fieroborghini. But something about this car has my interest piqued. From that video though, it does seem like squeaks and rattles will be an issue. BUT it is about half the price of an Ultima, with similar running gear. Thoughts on this one?

Thoughts on this one?

I think it is an excellent idea for someone who is mechanically inclined who can build it themselves. The only problem is, if you do not have the mechanical skills to build it yourself and have to get a turnkey; you are going to be paying between 87-130K. I don't remember seeing a turnkey GTM available for sale for less then 80K.

Another cool concept is the K1 attack kit. Which has endless options like using a honda engine(for reliability) or even having it run on electricity. I think at this point you can even get it factory built rather then getting the kit. Not even sure if the kit is still available.

As far as whether or not it is considered exotic, it is really opinion based. I would consider both these cars as exotic but of course everyone has their opinion on what it takes to be an exotic car. So these days unless your car has a 200K price tag or has the name Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, ETC; then there is always going to be someone out there that says it is not exotic.

I have even heard some people say that they don't consider the R8 as exotic which is kind of surprising to me.

Wow, some harsh comments about the Lotus. I wonder how many of you actually own one of them or owned one. How bout how many CURRENTLY OWN BOTH. 89 thru S4S's (96?) was a well sorted out car from the factory. Very dependable and no harder to work on than an NSX. Most parts can be purchased from other manufactures so cost of parts is not bad. I've recently debating this on this Forum but my opinion is that EVERYONE considers the Esprit an exotic and a really whole lot of people(meaning some don't) considers the NSX a exotic.
I personally think it is but barely.
But back on topic, the NSX and the Esprit are the only ones that I think can be considered an exotic for around 25K.

My only car that I can think of that may be worthy is a 93-95 Porsche 928 GTS 5sp.
again I would have to use the term exotic loosly but its close

Last edited:
what about that bradley GT? :biggrin:

Didn't the "Greatest American Hero" drive a Bradley GT?! :tongue:

greatest-american-hero.jpg

Sorry, the NSX is not an exotic, at least not by my definition. It's a great innovative F1 sports car, perhaps the greatest engineered and built sportscar in history. But probably not an exotic.

Exotic= Extremely low volume or rare "beautiful" sports car with lots of power. How much power? At least 2-3x as much the average car of its time.

Honda produced tens of thousands of NSXs, although low volume but not in the rare category. Don't get me wrong, I love my NSX gem and will keep her forever but objectively it's not an exotic.

I'm not a Lambo or Ferrari nut but I give credit to these guys for limiting the production volume of their mega powered beauties thus preserving the true meaning of the word exotic and artificially keeping demand high to protect past, current and future owners.

The NSX is the least expensive Formula One inspired sportscar you can buy.

Sorry, the NSX is not an exotic, at least not by my definition. It's a great innovative F1 sports car, perhaps the greatest engineered and built sportscar in history. But probably not an exotic.

So if it were horribly engineered it would have a better chance or being exotic?

Exotic= Extremely low volume or rare "beautiful" sports car with lots of power. How much power? At least 2-3x as much the average car of its time.

Honda produced tens of thousands of NSXs, although low volume but not in the rare category. Don't get me wrong, I love my NSX gem and will keep her forever but objectively it's not an exotic.

Really? Not by my calculations.

I'm not a Lambo or Ferrari nut but I give credit to these guys for limiting the production volume of their mega powered beauties thus preserving the true meaning of the word exotic and artificially keeping demand high to protect past, current and future owners.

Is a 911 an exotic? Back in the 993 days production was limited. Today, however, is a different story. :rolleyes:

You are not going to win any arguments using Formula One & NSX in the same sentence. :biggrin:

I will go to the mat defending the NSX as an exotic car. It is.

The production volume argument doesn't really hold water.

There were 9,XXX NSXs in the US. 18,XXX worldwide. Most of those were built in the first two years. After that, you are talking less than 300 per year produced, OBO.

Lotus built 10,675 Esprits during the entire production run.

Ferrari built 11,273 355s over a span of what, 6 years?

The NSX was also handmade in a special factory, etc.

If the 348 or 355 is an exotic ride by acceleration numbers or production numbers, so is the NSX.

Took these tonight. It was dark and rainy but I happen to have all the doors open and the camera, so, what the hell.
This is my interpatation of 25k and under exotics LOL
13533_.jpg

13536_.jpg

LOL sorry for being a pic hog

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_NSX
Honda's breakthrough engineering in the NSX was a major contributor to the design of the McLaren F1 as mentioned in an interview with McLaren designer Gordon Murray. [4] "The moment I drove the NSX, all the benchmark cars--Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini--I had been using as references in the development of my car vanished from my mind. Of course the car we would create, the McLaren F1, needed to be faster than the NSX, but the NSX's ride quality and handling would become our new design target." The NSX was also the world's first all-aluminum and aluminum monocoque chassis production car, and was also marketed as the "Everyday Supercar" thanks in part to its ease of use, quality and reliability, traits that were unheard of in the supercar segment at the time.

[edit] Manufacture and release

1997 Acura NSX
Japanese NSX Police Car (Tochigi Prefectural Police)Upon its release in 1990, the NSX was a design ahead of its time, at only 1170 mm (46.1 in) in height only 141.3 mm (6 in) taller than the legendary Ford GT40. The car showcased Honda's racing technology, exemplified by the NSX's ultra-rigid, ultra-light aluminium monocoque chassis, aluminium suspension, titanium connecting rods, forged pistons and high-revving capabilities — the redline was at a lofty 8,000 rpm. Today it is still known by many as the most reliable EXOTIC CAR with many examples exceeding 100,000 miles without any reliability issues. The car's strong chassis rigidity and cornering/handling capabilities were the results of Ayrton Senna's direct input with NSX's chief engineers while testing at the Honda owned Suzuka Circuit during its final development stages.[3] The NSX was initially assembled at the purpose-built Takanezawa R&D Plant in Tochigi from 1989 to early 2004, when it was moved to Suzuka Plant for the remainder of its production life. The cars were assembled by approximately 200 experienced, hand-picked staff from various Honda factories. Honda designed the NSX in search of the perfect balance between power and reliability and thus produced a powerful naturally aspirated engine suitable for the abuse of road racing.

This Ferrari level performance made the NSX known as the "First Japanese Exotic Super car".

Last edited:
DeLorean.

I know, I know, I'm several weeks behind on this, but: The car turned heads. Everywhere. You just have to get used to being stared at, because 9 in 10 people will look twice, if not flat out let their jaw drop and stare to the point of rear-ending the guy in front of them.

Respect: Everyone loves the DeLorean. I got VIP treatment virtually everywhere I went. I walked into a sandwich shop once and saw some of my old coworkers from a previous employer - one of them was just finishing telling the other, "He must be loaded now" as I walked in and heard every word. I've been pulled over specifically so the cop could check the car out. When I contested a ticket, the prosector brought the car up in court and used it against me, asking the cop who he had on the stand, "So the defendent was driving a DeLorean? (yeah) .. How often do you pull those over? (never) ... So it's fair to say you remember the circumstances of this event quite well? (yes)."

Point is, people have no idea how much the car is worth. The people I ran into more often than not ID'd it as a 6 figure car and flat assumed I was loaded.

Average price these days for a good running, well maintained DeLorean: $18k-$26k.

Nope, it's not a supercar, just an average car underneath (with the exception of the double-Y frame taken off the Lotus Elan) with a wicked body on top. But it's certainly an exotic, head turning son of a gun, and cheaper than an NSX of comparible quality.

here i go with my first post :)

Since i own a 95 Esprit, and i am a mechanic, i will throw my 2c in on this.

Buy an 89SE or 90-95 (4 cyl) esprit and you will be happy at how dependable they are. GM owned them in 89 and the fuel injection, abs and other electronics went to DELCO-REMY (GM) at that time. i have had zero issues with my car in 7 years. if you can change your own timing belt, then mainenance costs will also be very low for you.

So, why am i a now member here? when i bought it i was also looking at NSX's and am considering selling my s4 to buy an NSX, just ready for a change. a 97 would be just right :)

Back