• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is tire wear issues the same on later model NSX's (02-05)?

Joined
21 January 2005
Messages
1,384
I did a search but couldn't find a clear answer. I've got an '05 NSX with the OEM tires (Bridgestone Potenza RE040 215/40ZR17 fronts and 255/40ZR17 rears). How do these tires wear on the later models (2002-2005) as compared to other OEM tires on the earlier models. I've heard that there isn't an alignment issue with the later models. How many miles might I expect to get out of these OEM tires; front/rear, min/max?

Please advise... thx...
 
NSX-Tuner said:
How do these tires wear on the later models (2002-2005) as compared to other OEM tires on the earlier models.
The '91-93 15"/16" OEM tires typically last 4-7K miles in the rear, 10-15K in the front. The '94-01 16"/17" OEM tires typically last slightly longer - 6-10K in the rear, 12-20K in front. You can use these figures for comparison purposes.

NSX-Tuner said:
I've heard that there isn't an alignment issue with the later models.
There isn't an alignment issue on the earlier models, either. The suspension for all years of NSX is basically the same - a few settings slightly different here and there (such as the NSX-T having a slightly softer suspension than the NSX Coupe) but it's still the same design and engineering. And all NSXs are aligned exactly the same way.

When the NSX was originally introduced, there was a recommended set of alignment settings, including 6 mm of rear toe. After two years, which included a class action lawsuit regarding rapid tire wear, the alignment settings were changed slightly to 4 mm of rear toe, in order to improve tire longevity at the expense of a very slight degradation in handling precision. That change was made retroactively to all years.

You can set the alignment of any year NSX to any settings you like. The recommended settings for all years are the same (including the 4 mm of rear toe). If you have an NSX - a 2005 or a 1991 or any other year - and you prefer to align it to the original specs with their 6 mm of rear toe for the handling, or to the recommended specs, or to align it to reduce toe even more, to 2 mm or even 0 mm for tire life, you can. There is no "issue".

NSX-Tuner said:
How many miles might I expect to get out of these OEM tires; front/rear, min/max?
Those using the OEM RE040 in the 17"/17" sizes, please chime in!
 
NSX-Tuner said:
I did a search but couldn't find a clear answer. I've got an '05 NSX with the OEM tires (Bridgestone Potenza RE040 215/40ZR17 fronts and 255/40ZR17 rears). How do these tires wear on the later models (2002-2005) as compared to other OEM tires on the earlier models. I've heard that there isn't an alignment issue with the later models. How many miles might I expect to get out of these OEM tires; front/rear, min/max?

Please advise... thx...

On my first set of rear tires, barely got 4,000 miles, fronts I got almost 10,000 miles. I'm now on my 3rd set of rears, and still on my 2nd fronts and have 16,800 miles currently. I don't track the car, but do enjoy driving with spirit!!!!! :biggrin:
 
RPM217 said:
On my first set of rear tires, barely got 4,000 miles, fronts I got almost 10,000 miles. I'm now on my 3rd set of rears, and still on my 2nd fronts and have 16,800 miles currently.
Roger, do you know how many miles you got on your second set of rear tires before you replaced them?
 
nsxtasy said:
Roger, do you know how many miles you got on your second set of rear tires before you replaced them?

Ken, perhaps you recall my "incident" on the way up to Kid's Day at the Glen last year, the tires had almost 8,500 miles on them when I replaced them both. I had the OEM Bridgestones and was amazed at how much more miles I got on set #2. They hadn't gotten down to the wear bars yet, were wearing evenly when the right rear disintegrated, the left was fine. I now have about 4,000 miles on the Fuzions and they're not showing any wear. :biggrin:
 
RPM217 said:
Ken, perhaps you recall my "incident" on the way up to Kid's Day at the Glen last year, the tires had almost 8,500 miles on them when I replaced them both. I had the OEM Bridgestones and was amazed at how much more miles I got on set #2. They hadn't gotten down to the wear bars yet, were wearing evenly when the right rear disintegrated, the left was fine. I now have about 4,000 miles on the Fuzions and they're not showing any wear. :biggrin:

"... right rear disintegrated..." ouch...

Which OEM Bridgestones had you been running? I've got the Bridgestones Potenza RE040's. Should I expect the same if I'm pushing the car a lot. Also, how did your rim fare?
 
NSX-Tuner said:
"... right rear disintegrated..." ouch...

Which OEM Bridgestones had you been running? I've got the Bridgestones Potenza RE040's. Should I expect the same if I'm pushing the car a lot. Also, how did your rim fare?
Maybe Bob O can be so kind as to post the picture of my tire and rim that he took last year. Yes, I was running the RE040's and unbelievabley (sp?) the rim survived with very minor curb rash. The set that came on the car only lasted (barely) 4,000 miles, the replacements about 8,500, can't figure out why, but that's the story, and I'm sticking with it! :biggrin:
 
RPM217 said:
On my first set of rear tires, barely got 4,000 miles, fronts I got almost 10,000 miles. I'm now on my 3rd set of rears, and still on my 2nd fronts and have 16,800 miles currently. I don't track the car, but do enjoy driving with spirit!!!!! :biggrin:
Wow, my experience with is completely opposite - my fronts only got around 6700 miles. They could have gone another couple hundred miles more. Didn't want to take a chance though. They were extramely worn on the inner portion far more than the outer edges. Everyone tells me my fronts wore out on the inside due to the amount of straight line driving I do. The inner 3 inches portion of the front Lt and Rt sides were below the wear bars and the outer 3/4 had about 5/32" of depth maybe more. The tires looked as though the alignment has way too much toe-out, off camber or both. On my rears I have 8650 miles and they are ready to be changed, just getting to the wear bars on both the LT and Rt sides. The tires seem to stick like there is glue on the road during spirited drives, on Auto-X courses and the one time at NSXPO '03.
 
Quote from 05 sticker ...


The unique high performance tires on this vehicle will wear more rapidly than normal passenger car tires. Tire life for rear tires may be substantially less than 10,000 miles depending upon driving conditions.
 
Back
Top