• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is TWM the best shift knob on the market?

After reading reports of nasty bacteria on leather shift knobs ( and steering wheels) I started searching around for after market knobs for both the NSX and GTO.

Back in the day I used nothing but Momo since it was the "best" knob maker.

But there was something about the after market knobs that I felt was missing. I remember all of the ones that I have used were lighter than the factory knob.

So I after searching around I came across TWM shift knobs.

Here's an excerpt from their site:

A TWM shift knob is made of the most dense material readily available, stainless steel. More dense materials exist on earth, however for this application stainless steel is ideal since it is very hard, unlike lead, and not absurdly expensive like platinum, gold, or depleted Uranium. A material's density is a measure of it's mass per unit volume, the more dense, the more a given volume of the material weighs. This allows a TWM shift knob to retain stock, comfortable dimensions but weigh a great deal more than a stock shift knob. Many other aftermarket companies produce shift knobs as well, however they are often made of very light plastic or aluminum which offer no benefit of added weight.

Why is a heavier shift knob better you may ask yourself? The answer is simple and relates to basic physics. A heavy shift knob carries with it more kinetic energy and has greater momentum than a less massive (lighter) shift knob travelling at the same speed. Kinetic energy is defined as the energy possessed by a body because of its motion, equal to one half the mass of the body times the square of its speed. Momentum is defined as the product of the mass times the velocity of an object. Since kinetic energy and momentum are directly proportional to an objects mass, the more massive (heavy) an object is the more kinetic energy it carries with it through it's movement, and it has a greater momentum than a less massive object travelling at the same speed.

This theory applies to a shift knob in the following manner. While shifting, the shift knob is set in motion by the driver. While the shift knob is travelling between gears, it has a certain velocity and carries with it kinetic energy. The additional kinetic energy the heavy shift knob carries with it helps it to engage in to the next gear. Essentially, the shifter with a heavier shift knob is more "difficult" to stop because of the added kinetic energy, which actually helps it engage in to the next gear with less direct effort from the driver. The net result is a smoother engagement in to the next gear with less effort put in from the driver on the shift knob to get it in to gear. It is for this reason that a heavier shift knob feels much smoother to shift than a shifter with a stock shift knob.

Once you try driving with a weighted TWM shift knob, you will never want to go back to stock. The difference is quite simply amazing.

I'm torn between these 2 knobs:

bombshellshiftknob.jpg

http://www.twmshiftknobs.com/shiftknobs/bombshellshiftknobs.html

or this style that is used in Ferrari's, Lambos, Carrera GT, etc.:

a6-leopard-shiftknob.jpg

http://www.twmshiftknobs.com/shiftknobs/a6-leopard-shiftknobs.html

Do most of you grab the knob from the top or the side?

Why not use a knob that was made for the NSX? The rapid knob we offer has the clip for the factory boot. Other knobs will result in the boot falling down exposing the gear selector:
http://scienceofspeed.com/products/...X/ScienceofSpeed/shift_knobs/Rapid/tear_drop/

Otherwise, if you're using a boot like the Zanardi or NSX-R which does not have the clip, consider the Type-S / Zanardi knob we also manufacture which has a retaining lip for the band in these style boots:
http://scienceofspeed.com/products/interior_performance_products/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/Zanardi_knob/

Both are manufactured from 304 stainless steel, are very durable, and weighted nicely for that "positive engagement" feel.

Cheers,
-- Chris

rapid_tear_800.jpg

zanardi_800.jpg

I 2nd Chris on the Rapid knob. I have it and it fits and feels perfect. The quality is top notch and the retaining clip seals the deal. I have looked at others, but they all lack the essential retaining clip. It was suggested to me by Ravi and, IMO, it is the perfect knob.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

After reading reports of nasty bacteria on leather shift knobs ( and steering wheels) I started searching around for after market knobs for both the NSX and GTO.

I went with Arc titanium since I believe it's antibacterial properties are better than stainless:
IMG_6430.JPG

Do most of you grab the knob from the top or the side?

Isn't it better to get the more flexible design that allows either method to be used?

Dave

Why not use a knob that was made for the NSX? The rapid knob we offer has the clip for the factory boot. Other knobs will result in the boot falling down exposing the gear selector:
http://scienceofspeed.com/products/...X/ScienceofSpeed/shift_knobs/Rapid/tear_drop/

Otherwise, if you're using a boot like the Zanardi or NSX-R which does not have the clip, consider the Type-S / Zanardi knob we also manufacture which has a retaining lip for the band in these style boots:
http://scienceofspeed.com/products/interior_performance_products/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/Zanardi_knob/

Both are manufactured from 304 stainless steel, are very durable, and weighted nicely for that "positive engagement" feel.

Cheers,
-- Chris

rapid_tear_800.jpg

zanardi_800.jpg

Chris,

Is this knob heavier or lighter than the factory knob?

My friend has one and somehow it feels too skinny and tall.

I'm looking more for the top of the knob to be equal height or slightly lower.

I went with Arc titanium since I believe it's antibacterial properties are better than stainless:
IMG_6430.JPG

Isn't it better to get the more flexible design that allows either method to be used?

Dave

Never heard that. I was under the impression that SS has better antibacterial properties (hence surgical equipment like scapels, etc.) than Ti.

I thought about the Arc, but I was in 2 S2k cars where one had stock knob and the other had an Arc Ti knob. The Ti knob felt notchier and the owner did confirm that it was a lighter knob.

Shoot - you edited yours Mickey and I didn't quote it beforehand

Dave

Dave,

It was "your hands probably already have more bacteria on them when you get in the car than the shiftknob does". also "amazing the things people worry about these days". But I revised it since a simple "wash your hands" was more polite :biggrin:

Here's a wacky idea:

Why not fashion a magnetic shift knob? You could patent it and make a killing :biggrin:

It would be hard (easy to clean for viral and bacterial protection)
It would be heavy (for that weighted shifting feel)
It would make you a better driver (heck, if it works like the bands below it must be true):

151.jpg

Dave

^ - that is hilarious....if there was anyone in my office they would have heard me laughing....your killing me.

Seriously - about bacteria - did you know that staff germs can live on SS for days.....bet not. Get in the car and "wax your knob with antibacterial and your hands too and quit worrying about it and get the knob you like.

I'll say one thing - if you leave your car in the summer heat for any time then that SS knob is going to be so hot you can hardly shift - guess why they wrap the Honda Civic SI SS knob with leather??? I'd look for one that would had some leather around it - but then you'd be worried about the bacteria again - so it's getting the "hot hand" or bacteria - I guess what is really something to think about is quit messing with your babe in the silly NSX when you can't work around that console anyhow. It's not like you have a back seat.....geez - wait till you get to the "room".

I'm laughing while I'm writing - maybe a box of surgical gloves in the car
:rolleyes::biggrin::wink:

^ - that is hilarious....if there was anyone in my office they would have heard me laughing....your killing me.

Seriously - about bacteria - did you know that staff germs can live on SS for days.....bet not. Get in the car and "wax your knob with antibacterial and your hands too and quit worrying about it and get the knob you like.

I'll say one thing - if you leave your car in the summer heat for any time then that SS knob is going to be so hot you can hardly shift - guess why they wrap the Honda Civic SI SS knob with leather??? I'd look for one that would had some leather around it - but then you'd be worried about the bacteria again - so it's getting the "hot hand" or bacteria - I guess what is really something to think about is quit messing with your babe in the silly NSX when you can't work around that console anyhow. It's not like you have a back seat.....geez - wait till you get to the "room".

I'm laughing while I'm writing - maybe a box of surgical gloves in the car
:rolleyes::biggrin::wink:

I may have to ceramic coat the knob for heat.

here is a good accessory to cool the shift knob of the stainless steel

Last edited:
IMG_6430.JPG

Dave

Never seen your interior. That's pretty cool. Very simple!

Never seen your interior. That's pretty cool. Very simple!

I thought the same thing but then I said - where's the AC/heat? What happened to all the stuff? And the shifter - how does that work? Almost looks like a model. Pretty cool.

If anti-bacterial properties are a large part of your goal, I would do some research on copper. Copper naturally kills bacteria and germs, and is being used in hospitals on door knobs and plates. Here is a wiki for you http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antimicrobial_properties_of_copper

I'm not sure if anyone offers a copper plated shift knob (though it would look cool as the copper oxidized), but figured I through that bit of info your way.

Back