• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Issues w/ spilled/residual DOT 3 & 4 brake fluid (clutch)?

Osiris_x11

Gold Member, Moderator: Marketplace
I finally sorted out my notchy-shifting & floppy clutch-pedal, as it turned out to be a failing hydraulic rubber clutchline. The clutch master/slave had been replaced less than 4-years/20k-miles ago. Meanwhile, I also did the RPS/Dali-Racing steel-braided clutchline damper replacement.

While doing the hose & damper-delete installs along w/ numerous recent clutch slave-cylinder "bleeding" procedures (via rubber hose + fluid collection container), some DOT 3/4 brake fluid was spilled/splashed down in the lower abyss region of the engine/transmission area (namely the rear beam area). By 'some' fluid, I mean very small amounts but still noticeable. It was a messy DIY, due to the limited access while working from top.

Should I be overly concerned w/ any corrosion issues down there w/ any of the materials/surfaces where brake fluid squirted/trickled onto other unseen/far-reaching areas? I know DOT 3/4 brake fluid is bad for paint & finishes (I was very cautious & used plastic bags & service mats to cover exterior body panels & other surfaces).

I can make a diluted SimpleGreen solution & hose down (below the coolant overfill reservoir / airbox / etc) if that would be beneficial. Also, I can try to clean from underneath somehow/someway. Is all this necessary?

Reason for my anxiety: years ago, I had a slightly unsecured, leaking battery in an SUV that I had at the time. I procrastinated dealing w/ it & month later, I needed a new alternator due to the premature corrosion. Also, I had to replace some other engine bay bits (mostly hardware/fasteners & some wires). So, I'd like to avoid any such stuff in the longrun.

Last edited:
I personally wouldn't use SimpleGreen on anything aluminum, although it's supposed to be OK for limited contact, or whatever. Someone else may have a better solution, but I'd probably just hose it down with water.

What I've done with such messy scenarios is flood the area from above with water. Since the brake fluid is hygroscopic, if you cover the area with water it essentially neuralizes the brake fluids nasty side effects. One note though, I DO NOT use a power washer for I do not want to spread that damaging fluid else where. I just use a bucket full of water that I gently pour over the region. If it is a component that is within reach, I will use a very wet paper towel to sop up the mess first, then flood it.

^^^
what he said

nsx2tall said:
How about just lightly hosing it down with water? I've also known people that use brake cleaner, but I'm not a fan of using that.

Last edited:
Brake fluid is non-corrosive or harmful to metal, rubber or plastic. I wouldn't worry about it unless it could foul brake pads or your clutch surfaces.
Happy motoring!

Back