• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Jaguar's resale values

Why does Jaguar have such a horrendous resale value? They seem to put out nice cars. For instance, an S-type worth over $40k only 2-3 years ago can now be had in the high $20k range. You think it's a reliability issue?

:confused:

I have a friend who is a tow truck operator for the Metro freeway service patrol and he tells me that Jags and Land Rovers are tops on his tow list due to mechanical problems..

How does the saying go? Fool me once shame on you... :wink:

well...to me the Jag sedan from that period is pretty much a Ford Taurus with Chrome. They don't have the prestige, or the looks anymore. Just another boring mass production vehicle IMO. It's just not a prestige name anymore and it shows in resale...maybe there is cool stuff coming up but they serious hurt the brand over the last 5-6 years.

Same in Europe.
Mainly due to quality (as said), and cost of running.
The newer models are holding their value even better then the older models.

04+ XJ-series is solid...

satan_srv said:

The XJ platform (XJ8, XJ8L, Vanden Plas, Super8) is original and independant of Ford Motor Company's platform-sharing scheme. However the S-Type does share the platform and many components w/ the Lincoln LS and the X-Type is based off the compact Ford Mondeo (similar to Contour, but for European market). The XK (coupe/conv) platform is rather aged, but the hallmark of it is that the Aston Martin DB7 was based off it.

The current XJ-series is all-aluminum, features highly-precise construction/assembly, and much improved reliability to it's predecessors. The 95-03 XJ-series was the first generation under Ford ownership/namely cash infusion. They were exponentially better than the previous models, but still had their issues w/ longterm quality. In 04, the newer XJ-series (all-aluminum, etc) came out, and so far quality, reliability, and satisfaction has held up rather well. Even used-car residuals are relatively good for being an higher costing premium marque.

So in a nutshell:

X-Type = Ford Mondeo
S-Type = Lincoln LS
XJ-series = N/A
XK-series = Aston Martin DB7

Pre-88 Jag's... iconic look, tank-like construction; trendy in some svelte' circles
Pre-94 Jag's... barely worth scrap; unless you're a glutton for punishment!

95-03 Jag's... either buy a new Japanese compact or used Jaguar, but make sure it has low-miles & extended warranty!

04+ Jag's... The XJ-series is of higher quality than it's high-end German counterparts!

*XK-series (coupe/conv) will be redesigned, again similar platform as Aston Martin, this time the DB9

*S-Type is due for redesign as well, platform to be shared w/ the new Ford Thunderbird as well as the Lincoln LS)

XJ-R is my favorite premium sports-sedan, particularly the redesigned ones (04+). The Super_8 is a more luxurious, personalized, long-wheelbased XJ-R... I'm keeping an eye on them, see how they do (along w/ the Phaetons by VW)

Re: 04+ XJ-series is solid...

Osiris_x11 said:
The XJ platform (XJ8, XJ8L, Vanden Plas, Super8) is original and independant of Ford Motor Company's platform-sharing scheme. However the S-Type does share the platform and many components w/ the Lincoln LS and the X-Type is based off the compact Ford Mondeo (similar to Contour, but for European market). The XK (coupe/conv) platform is rather aged, but the hallmark of it is that the Aston Martin DB7 was based off it.

The current XJ-series is all-aluminum, features highly-precise construction/assembly, and much improved reliability to it's predecessors. The 95-03 XJ-series was the first generation under Ford ownership/namely cash infusion. They were exponentially better than the previous models, but still had their issues w/ longterm quality. In 04, the newer XJ-series (all-aluminum, etc) came out, and so far quality, reliability, and satisfaction has held up rather well. Even used-car residuals are relatively good for being an higher costing premium marque.

So in a nutshell:

X-Type = Ford Mondeo
S-Type = Lincoln LS
XJ-series = N/A
XK-series = Aston Martin DB7

Pre-88 Jag's... iconic look, tank-like construction; trendy in some svelte' circles
Pre-94 Jag's... barely worth scrap; unless you're a glutton for punishment!

95-03 Jag's... either buy a new Japanese compact or used Jaguar, but make sure it has low-miles & extended warranty!

04+ Jag's... The XJ-series is of higher quality than it's high-end German counterparts!

*XK-series (coupe/conv) will be redesigned, again similar platform as Aston Martin, this time the DB9

*S-Type is due for redesign as well, platform to be shared w/ the new Ford Thunderbird as well as the Lincoln LS)

XJ-R is my favorite premium sports-sedan, particularly the redesigned ones (04+). The Super_8 is a more luxurious, personalized, long-wheelbased XJ-R... I'm keeping an eye on them, see how they do (along w/ the Phaetons by VW)

Cool info, backs up my comment. I liked the XK myself...and the new models should go a long way to improving the brand...I just thought they weren't impressive at all in the 90's anyway.

Wow. I just went on a Jaguar forum and so many people expressed their dissatisfaction with their cars. It range from minor electrical glitches to expensive tranny replacements. One even had his car die on him while driving!

Sigh....I wanted one too.

Back