• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Production complete. Preparing for shipment. Now what???

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
19 April 2001
Messages
492
I've owned eight NSXs since 1997 and it is has been one of my favorite cars to own (both generations). That being said, I didn't seriously consider the 2nd gen until the rebate brought the prices down below $140k. Even though I've owned several cars around $100k, it was still a mental stretch to get to $140k. I bought a 2018 and later traded it in for a 2020 because i) I wanted yellow ii) the 2019 updates iii) it didn't cost that much to upgrade and iv) like the 2018, I thought it would hold its value and possibly appreciate if/when Acura discontinued the NSX (which came true).

When prices shot up for the gen 2, the cost to upgrade to the Type S seemed to make sense. For another $10k-20k, I'd get a newer car, more updates, and a limited edition model.

So here's the dilemma.
1. The exotic market has dropped a lot but if the Type S is still worth $250k, I don't know if I want to drive around in a $250k car. I can afford it but given how rarely I drive it, I don't know if it's worth it to me. On most days, I drive a "regular" car because I deal with tenants on a daily basis and don't want to be seen in a yellow NSX
2. My son is getting his DL next week and my insurance will more than double.
3. Interest rates have skyrocketed so the opportunity cost of tying up $200k is now real....$10k-12k per year or $1k per month. Add $400/month for insurance and my cost is $1400 before depreciation.
4. I have a 2 car garage and 4 car driveway. I already have 3 cars and 4 is a pain because I'm constantly shuffling cars.

I already sold my 2020 a few months ago and kind of regret selling it. It might have made more sense for me to keep that car rather than the Type S. In any case, I'm debating whether I should sell the Type S and get a cheaper fun car (911, M4, etc). Or whether I should keep the Type S because i) my insurance will only be sky high for 2 years (I can get my son separate insurance when he turns 18) and ii) it will hold its value and possibly increase over time offsetting the opportunity cost of the tied up cash.

I know there is a obvious bias in an NSX forum but I also think other members might relate to this dilemma. Thoughts?

Note: if anyone is interested in a Type S, now would be a good time to PM me 😢😎😁 (mixed emotions)
 
Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
30 January 2001
Messages
22,488
Location
Pa
I seem to think type S are still trading in the low 3's....that said you should hold onto it for a year to decrease your tax burden on the sale....that said that amount of appreciation is attractive compared to what the stock market may do next year..
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
19 April 2001
Messages
492
I seem to think type S are still trading in the low 3's....that said you should hold onto it for a year to decrease your tax burden on the sale....that said that amount of appreciation is attractive compared to what the stock market may do next year..
It's hard to say. Several sold in a period of 1-2 weeks as the selling dealers dropped from $330k-$350k down to $300k-$310k. There is one blue one that has dropped from $310k down to $270k...not sure if there is anything unusual about that car but that's not a great sign.

I'm not worried about any tax burden on the gain. If they want to view my vehicle purchases as investments, then I have tons of carry over losses to offset the gain. 😎

I could take my friend's approach to these decisions and just say....F#&* it...what else am I going to do with my money?
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
30 January 2001
Messages
22,488
Location
Pa
right its just a thing.....If looking at It, driving it, gives you pee shivers then keep it...since you have had the experience before with other NC1's them maybe time for a diva like a STO..
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
17 November 2002
Messages
1,543
Location
Santa Barbara, CA, USA
It is true that the used car market is losing some of the big increases that were present at the beginning of this year. Having said that most desirable cars are still in the positive. As for the NC1s it would appear that prices have stabilized. I have watched a number of NC1s hit the Bring a Trailer auction block at $135k to $165k depending on color and mileage.

The Type S NSXs are few in comparison. I suspect they will hold prices for some time, but eventually drop somewhat. A lot depends on what happens in the market, whether or not we go into a recession, and if so, how deep. Most people will probably finance a $200k price tag. If you can afford to buy the car and pay cash, then you are saving the finance side which is getting close to 5% Or $10k for the first year and so on. Very few cars appreciate significantly, making them investment grade vehicles. I would buy the car and enjoy driving it for the next five years, then go for the next NSX.
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
11 March 2019
Messages
75
Location
Honolulu HI
I don't think the Type S is going to drop much in value from current market. Even if it did in the long term it would hold value due to limited #'s. 5 for the rest of world means some wealthy foreigners will buy one if they can get the chance. I kept my NA1 NSX and BMW M2 b/c they are two complete opposites even to my Type S. Yes, the expense of owning can seem like a lot but to me it's worth it everytime I drive. I only have 40 miles on my Type S (waiting for PPF install) and my smile is from ear to ear. 😬😎
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
30 January 2001
Messages
22,488
Location
Pa
with only 300 in the US it will always be a sellers market...
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
19 April 2001
Messages
492
Once the market corrects, I think these will settle right around 200 with Gotham on the high end.
I agree with this which is part of the dilemma. If I have an asset currently worth $250-$300k that I believe will drop down to $180k-200k, it makes financial sense to sell it. OTOH, as @docjohn mentioned, there are only 300 made so it's not an easily replaceable asset. I guess I'll get the car in the garage and then decide.
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
17 November 2002
Messages
1,543
Location
Santa Barbara, CA, USA
In the end it is a car. Whether it is one of 300, or one of the 1400 sold in the US from 2017-2021 you know you will enjoy driving it. You can keep it for 5 years and get back most of what you pay. Not a bad deal. I would not pay a premium over MSRP, but that is my take. Congratulations!
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
30 January 2001
Messages
22,488
Location
Pa
since we are discussing....I see the near term future of the hybrid as strong...demand for the ice is also strong because so many majors are phasing them out...I see this in the many car forums I visit....guys hot for the last ice....
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
19 April 2001
Messages
492
I would sell the Type S for a little over 300 and then buy a 2019 for $150 - 175,000.
Yeah, I should have just kept my 2020. I don't think I can get $300k anymore for the Type S. I'll still look into this option but as the margin between the 2 narrows, I may just keep the S.

In the meantime, the S just arrived at the dealer. I will go after Thanksgiving to sign the papers and have it shipped to Atlanta.

Thanks for everyone's feedback.
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
19 April 2001
Messages
492
Maybe I was wrong about the market. Prior to this week, only one Type S had gone through Manheim. To my pleasant surprise, another one just sold 3 days ago for $290k.

11/14/22$290,000*4- -NON/- -- -RegularNortheastmyCentralAuction
6/30/22$295,000*645.06H/AWhiteRegularNortheastPennsylvania
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
30 January 2001
Messages
22,488
Location
Pa
yes so retail that at over 300K
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
27 July 2007
Messages
6,249
Location
Denver, CO
since we are discussing....I see the near term future of the hybrid as strong...demand for the ice is also strong because so many majors are phasing them out...I see this in the many car forums I visit....guys hot for the last ice....
I would buy the car and enjoy driving it for the next five years, then go for the next NSX.
Wise advice.
Once the market corrects, I think these will settle right around 200 with Gotham on the high end.
I agree.
I agree with this which is part of the dilemma. If I have an asset currently worth $250-$300k that I believe will drop down to $180k-200k, it makes financial sense to sell it. OTOH, as @docjohn mentioned, there are only 300 made so it's not an easily replaceable asset. I guess I'll get the car in the garage and then decide.
Are you really looking at the car as an asset? As @drmanny3 mentioned, most cars depreciate at some level. I always treat cars as a consumption item for my enjoyment. With exotics like the NSX we are lucky that sometimes we make money, but other times we might lose a little depending on market timing. I treat any gain as a windfall and any loss as the price of the ticket to the roller coaster. :) I think it makes the decision easier if you don't look at it like an investment vehicle.
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
30 January 2001
Messages
22,488
Location
Pa
with anything based on humans wants timing is everything....so do you feel lucky....punk....:p
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
23 July 2003
Messages
522
Location
NotCal
Or put another way by another great author:

There is a tide in the affairs of men which taken at the flood leads on to fortune. Omitted all the voyage of their life is bound in shallows and in miseries.
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
19 April 2001
Messages
492
Wise advice.

I agree.

Are you really looking at the car as an asset? As @drmanny3 mentioned, most cars depreciate at some level. I always treat cars as a consumption item for my enjoyment. With exotics like the NSX we are lucky that sometimes we make money, but other times we might lose a little depending on market timing. I treat any gain as a windfall and any loss as the price of the ticket to the roller coaster. :) I think it makes the decision easier if you don't look at it like an investment vehicle.
I don't view a car as an investment vehicle but I definitely consider it to be an asset...albeit a depreciating asset. I will always consider expected depreciation when deciding whether or not to buy a car. What can I say...I'm wired the way I'm wired. 😎
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
19 April 2001
Messages
492
SMH. I was getting ready to wire the funds over to the dealer and I discovered that they got the order wrong. SMH SMH SMH. I originally ordered the Tech Pkg with XM but later deleted it because I didn't want the fin. And they added the carbon fiber cover for the engine...which isn't a big deal. The worst part is through the whole process, the original order and the revision was documented in email with build sheets (which they required). And yet here we are. I guess I have to live with the shark fin.
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
25 October 2005
Messages
540
Location
Hanover Township, NJ
SMH. I was getting ready to wire the funds over to the dealer and I discovered that they got the order wrong. SMH SMH SMH. I originally ordered the Tech Pkg with XM but later deleted it because I didn't want the fin. And they added the carbon fiber cover for the engine...which isn't a big deal. The worst part is through the whole process, the original order and the revision was documented in email with build sheets (which they required). And yet here we are. I guess I have to live with the shark fin.
At least you don't see the fin while you're driving : )
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
2 October 2021
Messages
44
Location
Delray Beach Fl
Mine came in with about 16k worth of upgrades , lightweight package, upgraded wheels etc, what was one to do? walk away, which the dealer probably would have liked or take it......I took it.
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
19 April 2001
Messages
492
Mine came in with about 16k worth of upgrades , lightweight package, upgraded wheels etc, what was one to do? walk away, which the dealer probably would have liked or take it......I took it.
You didn't order the $16k in upgrades and the dealer just added them on? I had to submit a build sheet, sign it, sign the invoice with the same MSRP as the build sheet and wire $10k before they would accept the order. When I wanted to change the options, I had to resubmit a new build sheet, sign it, and wait 2 weeks for Acura to approve the change. After that process, I would've expected them to get the order right. It's not that big of a deal but it's definitely a smh.
 
Top