• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Jeremy Lin

I love love love that he's a Harvard grad and not some street thug that was spoofed a psych degree from a Division 1 school in typical fashion. Definitely an incredible story, I'm sure the pressure is on now... The 3 last night sort of continues to solidify that this may not be a freak stoke of luck.

I love love love that he's a Harvard grad and not some street thug that was spoofed a psych degree from a Division 1 school in typical fashion. Definitely an incredible story, I'm sure the pressure is on now... The 3 last night sort of continues to solidify that this may not be a freak stoke of luck.
So you categorize every non-Harvard grad NBA player as a street thug?:rolleyes:

Never in history of NBA/ABA a rookie scored 136 points in his first six games.

The guy lives in his brother's apartment sleeping on the couch living in NY. He was a straight A student but without a Havard Scholarship, and is a Christian who goes to church every weekend.

Let's see what Bill Maher is going to say.

Even though his parents are from Taiwan, he wasn't made in Taiwan.

The guy lives in his brother's apartment sleeping on the couch living in NY. He was a straight A student but without a Havard Scholarship, and is a Christian who goes to church every weekend.

Let's see what Bill Maher is going to say.

Even though his parents are from Taiwan, he wasn't made in Taiwan.

FYI, He's not a rookie.

He was a straight A student " .

That doesn't say much, he's Asian :biggrin:. Now, if he was a straight B Asian with mad ball skills, THEN I'd be impressed at his physical abilities! :tongue:

Mad props to him for all those reasons above!!!

That doesn't say much, he's Asian :biggrin:. Now, if he was a straight B Asian with mad ball skills, THEN I'd be impressed at his physical abilities! :tongue:

Lol!

Then what did you say? Waiting to hear your attempts at back tracking on your racist remark.

I just re-read his (itrsteve) post 5 times... Couldn't for the life of me find one hint of racism. Care to be very specific on what you are calling out to be racist?

nsxotic911 said:
That doesn't say much, he's Asian . Now, if he was a straight B Asian with mad ball skills, THEN I'd be impressed at his physical abilities!

Hehe, at Harvard he was a straight B student with a 3.1 GPA.:biggrin:

Underdog, undrafted, and underrated. Heard of him but wasn't initally interested before, thought he just a had good first game or two, but he proved to be consistent. Good jumper, good drives (fast first step), and is a smart player; knowing how to create plays and exploit his team member's abilities. Best of all, as mentioned before, humble guy with good morals. Admits his faults and gives alot of credit to his teammates. Don't seem to see too many guys like this in the NBA nowadays. Hope his consistency remains throughout the season (and beyond that), because I haven't been tuned in into NBA lately until I looked up this guy. He is quite Lin-sensational to watch, and his story is just Lin-spirational. :biggrin:

A good clip on him and his first four games:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1rfhOgmbuIc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I just re-read his (itrsteve) post 5 times... Couldn't for the life of me find one hint of racism. Care to be very specific on what you are calling out to be racist?

Because there wasn't. Nor did I say that everybody that wasn't from Harvard a "street thug". Jack Sparrow is on some sort of weird quest on this topic, I feel bad for him and wish the best.

Everything about his story is made for the movies. His humbleness while on court and while being interviewed is extremely refreshing. The race part doesnt play a factor for me but I do think it accelerated the time it took for him to get noticed.

Sorry if you read it the wrong way Mr. Sparrow, I am an extremely avid NBA fan (but not a Knicks fan) and I think this is such an incredible story rather than the typical rise to the top story that has been repeated time and time over.

Last edited:
Street Thug - please elaborate on what, exactly, that is.

You know the arrogant and aggressive behavior that you see on the court constantly (forget off court behavior for now)? The type of stuff that really makes you question the word "professional", some could argue that it is just the nature of the game but I've always loved the players that were far more humble in their approach.

Something about the humbleness of how Lin conducts himself isn't obviously something that every player is devoid from (far from it), but to see somebody rise in such a manner like him and still keep his head on his shoulders is refreshing.

There's a lot more to Lin besides being Asian that is attributing to his success, or "not black" to you guys that are hellbent on really reading into the race card although it was never brought up or implied.

You know the arrogant and aggressive behavior that you see on the court constantly (forget off court behavior for now)? The type of stuff that really makes you question the word "professional", some could argue that it is just the nature of the game but I've always loved the players that were far more humble in their approach.

Something about the humbleness of how Lin conducts himself isn't obviously something that every player is devoid from (far from it), but to see somebody rise in such a manner like him and still keep his head on his shoulders is refreshing.

There's a lot more to Lin besides being Asian that is attributing to his success, or "not black" to you guys that are hellbent on really reading into the race card although it was never brought up or implied.

OK, I'm gonna chime in here as someone that watches more basketball and plays more basketball then most people on here. As a Jeremy Lin fan, I think it's great what he's doing. America has been captivated due to him being an underdog, Asian-American, undrafted, etc. However, I disagree with you about seeing "arrogant and aggressive" behavior you're seeing "constantly" in the NBA. For the most part, most NBA players in today's game are fairly tame. There are tons of players that are humble and great sports role models (Derrick Rose, Durant, etc). There is a difference between arrogance and confidence. In fact, some people may say that Lim is "arrogant" with his head nods and leaving his arm up after making a jumper. Just playing devil's advocate here. I just think it's part of the swagger. Alot of ppl are jumping on his bandwagon simply because he's Asian. Again, I'm a fan and I've gone LINSANE.... but keeping it real.

Last edited:
Nothing against Lin, because he has put up some impressive numbers, but lets take a look at who he's played against:

• New Jersey: 8-22
  • Utah: 14-14
  • Washington: 7-23
  • LA: 17-12 (played the day after LA's OT win against BOS)
  • Minnesota: 14-16
  • Toronto: 9-22
  • Sacramento: 10-19
Only one team, LA, has a record over .500 and what you could consider elite players (D. Williams is debatable). Is he playing off the luck of starting his run against a bunch of bad teams (and a tired good team)? Yes. Ignoring the hype, this doesn't make NY a championship contender yet.

Next up: the second worst team in the NBA, New Orleans.

Nothing against Lin, because he has put up some impressive numbers, but lets take a look at who he's played against:

• New Jersey: 8-22
  • Utah: 14-14
  • Washington: 7-23
  • LA: 17-12 (played the day after LA's OT win against BOS)
  • Minnesota: 14-16
  • Toronto: 9-22
  • Sacramento: 10-19
Only one team, LA, has a record over .500 and what you could consider elite players (D. Williams is debatable). Is he playing off the luck of starting his run against a bunch of bad teams (and a tired good team)? Yes. Ignoring the hype, this doesn't make NY a championship contender yet.

Next up: the second worst team in the NBA, New Orleans.

New York is gonna have the toughest stretch yet in a few weeks. Chicago, Philadelphia, Miami, etc. I want to see how he does against the defensive powerhouses.

Only one team, LA, has a record over .500 and what you could consider elite players (D. Williams is debatable). I

I think we need to keep in mind that most of the "elite" PG's that go head-to-head against Lin are elite from an offensive standpoint, not defensive. We need to see how Lin does against the good defensive teams, or how he matches up against solid defensive guards. How Lin does vs. D.Williams (for example) doesn't really make any sense.

OK, I'm gonna chime in here as someone that watches more basketball and plays more basketball then most people on here. As a Jeremy Lin fan, I think it's great what he's doing. America has been captivated due to him being an underdog, Asian-American, undrafted, etc. However, I disagree with you about seeing "arrogant and aggressive" behavior you're seeing "constantly" in the NBA. For the most part, most NBA players in today's game are fairly tame. There are tons of players that are humble and great sports role models (Derrick Rose, Durant, etc). There is a difference between arrogance and confidence. In fact, some people may say that Lim is "arrogant" with his head nods and leaving his arm up after making a jumper. Just playing devil's advocate here. Alot of ppl are jumping on his bandwagon simply because he's Asian. Again, I'm a fan and I've gone LINSANE.... but keeping it real.

I do agree with you and a matter of a fact I said this above.

Something about the humbleness of how Lin conducts himself isn't obviously something that every player is devoid from (far from it)

I think the Asian part does accelerate things. Personally I was more shocked when I was watching the Jazz game where I first remembered seeing him and I said to myself "whoa, who is this guy?" then when they said he was a Harvard Economics grad I just thought that was the coolest thing. Such an odd circumstance not coming from a typical D1 school and especially coming off the bench and playing in the manner that he did (and has continued to do) was nothing short of awe inspiring. It is the stuff they make movies of.

I think we need to keep in mind that most of the "elite" PG's that go head-to-head against Lin are elite from an offensive standpoint, not defensive. We need to see how Lin does against the good defensive teams, or how he matches up against solid defensive guards. How Lin does vs. D.Williams (for example) doesn't really make any sense.

Agreed. I was thinking more along the lines of teams with a game changer at any position, not just PG, someone who will go blow for blow when the Knicks go on a run. Fisher is terrible defensively, but Kobe can trade baskets with anyone. Same with Rose, Lebron/Wade, Durant, etc.

I find it interesting that NBA players are characterized as street thugs, when every team sport has the same arrogant and aggressive behavior, on and off the court. It is part of being an elite player at the top of your game, ego goes with it in most cases and fosters driven behavior to excel. Yet, of all sports, the NBA is the most denigrated. I wonder why.

Really? As of 2011:

In the NBA, 83 percent of the players were people of color, an increase of one percentage point from last year’s totals. The percentage of African-American players increased by one percentage point to 78 percent, equaling the highest since 2001-02. The percentage of Asians remained constant at 1 percent. The percentage of Latinos increased by one percentage point to 4 percent. The percentage of people of color classified as other was slightly under 1 percent. The percentage of international players decreased by one percentage point to 17 percent, the lowest percentage since the 2003-04 season.

–At 17 percent, this was the lowest percentage of white players since the Racial and Gender Report Card began reporting the composition of the NBA teams.

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2011/06/study-2011-nba-racial-and-gender-report-card/

78% of the NBA is African American, who is he referring to as street thugs? the 1% that are Asian? Maybe the 4% that are Latino?
Because there wasn't. Nor did I say that everybody that wasn't from Harvard a "street thug". Jack Sparrow is on some sort of weird quest on this topic, I feel bad for him and wish the best.

Everything about his story is made for the movies. His humbleness while on court and while being interviewed is extremely refreshing. The race part doesnt play a factor for me but I do think it accelerated the time it took for him to get noticed.
Why not just mention the above? What purpose did it serve you to classify all non-Harvard NBA players as street thugs?

Prior to Lin, there were only 3 other players who made it to the NBA from Harvard:
Gray, Wyndol 1946-1947
Mariaschin, Saul 1947-1947
Smith, Ed 1953-1953

So only the three above and Lin are non-street thugs. Do you see how what you said is extremely racist? I couldn't care less how avid of a fan you may think you are but what you said was ignorant & bigoted. I'm not even African American, but I could see how any African American could be offended by your comments.

What you perceive to be "arrogant & aggressive" behavior is purely emotion & adrenaline that stem from competition and a love for the game. Lin himself get's caught up in this as any other player does.

Out of curiosity, what ethnicity are you?
Pretty much. That and by counting the number of neck tats.:wink:
Tattoo's = street thugs? How old are you?

Kevin Durant is probably one of the best ambassadors for the NBA there is, the guy is squeaky clean...
kevin-durant.jpg

but OH NO, what's this? He has tattoo's, must be a street thug, right?
118588686.jpg

However, I disagree with you about seeing "arrogant and aggressive" behavior you're seeing "constantly" in the NBA. For the most part, most NBA players in today's game are fairly tame. There are tons of players that are humble and great sports role models (Derrick Rose, Durant, etc). There is a difference between arrogance and confidence. In fact, some people may say that Lim is "arrogant" with his head nods and leaving his arm up after making a jumper.
BINGO!
I find it interesting that NBA players are characterized as street thugs, when every team sport has the same arrogant and aggressive behavior, on and off the court. It is part of being an elite player at the top of your game, ego goes with it in most cases and fosters driven behavior to excel. Yet, of all sports, the NBA is the most denigrated. I wonder why.
100% agreement. It's pretty sad to see ignorant members like itrsteve spout nonsense and have others back them. I thought this country got past the racism.

Back