• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Jim Russell is available again! (And a smog tip)

Jim Russell, whom I and others have written lots of praise about for his extensive NSX knowledge, is available again! He is now Service Manager at Acura of Serramonte 650-985-1000. A little farther away than he was at Hopkins Acura in Redwood City, but I sure plan to go the extra trip. I wanted to let the community know. (He had in the interim been the Service Manager at a British Motors place, which was a shame given his extensive knowledge of NSXs).

Also, when I was talking to him today, I learned another tidbit from him which I had not heard earlier. He says you should always remind smog check places to make sure to turn off the traction control. They should be reminded to by the test machine, but if they don't, the NSX traction control will see the rear wheels turning and the front not, and starting putting on the traction control. Jim says this can result in a high-emissions situation, and could even get your car labeled a gross polluter from that faulty test, which is very hard to remove once it happens. Good warning!

Where can we find out more about who Russell is?

Nice tip on the smog check thing but about 1 month too late for me. I barely passed and I wonder how it would have went with the TCS off.

Do a forum search (using Search above) for

"jim russell" hopkins

and you'll find many threads. Several are mine, but you'll find several other people saying the same thing.

Chip

LOL He probably mentioned the smog tip because I called him the other day. I had to get my car smogged and I couldn't get the TCS turned off using the button on the dash.

If this happens to you, pull the parking brake up one click and then drive the car. I about a mile the TCS will turn off, along with the ABS.

He is a nice guy.

I'm glad that Acura Serramonte finally has someone who knows NSX. My last visit there was terrible and I had sworn never to go back there again.

Sounds like Jim Russell knows his stuff. But he's the service manager not the actual guy who would work on your car correct? Should we take our cars there just because the service manager knows his stuff?

Sounds like Jim Russell knows his stuff. But he's the service manager not the actual guy who would work on your car correct? Should we take our cars there just because the service manager knows his stuff?

Your choice. When he was at Hopkins, he often worked on my NSX himself for challenging things like tracking down and fixing little noises, and knew enough about the cars to tell a member of his staff what to do otherwise. You of course cannot guarantee he will work on your car personally. But having an NSX expert in charge, available to talk to about your problem when you bring your car in, and often working on your car himself is certainly nice.

Your choice. When he was at Hopkins, he often worked on my NSX himself for challenging things like tracking down and fixing little noises, and knew enough about the cars to tell a member of his staff what to do otherwise. You of course cannot guarantee he will work on your car personally. But having an NSX expert in charge, available to talk to about your problem when you bring your car in, and often working on your car himself is certainly nice.

OK well thats what I wanted to have clarified....whether Jim was going to do the work himself or not . Regardless its nice to have someone knowledgable to call up and ask questions to.

OK well thats what I wanted to have clarified....whether Jim was going to do the work himself or not . Regardless its nice to have someone knowledgable to call up and ask questions to.

OK, but I would of course suggest not abusing that. Solely using him for repeated free advice would give a bad rep to all of us. I'm sure that's not what you mean you would do, though.

Chip

Last edited:
Back