• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Jim Russell is BACK!!

Just got a text from him - looks like he is now operating out of Santa Cruz:

http://docauto.biz

He was a great asset to the local NSX community for many years and it is great to hear he is back in action. I am looking forward to checking it out soon.

Great to hear but Santa Cruz is a long way.................need to get a TB job done soon and was thinking to take it to Foreign Affair.

I stopped by Jim's place today. Just to say hi. I think I'll be creating an event on NorCal NSX Owners Facebook page to drive to the next c&c at Canepa. Jim promised to join as well. He also mentioned about discount on labor and parts (pretty significant number actually) for local NSX crew. So you better show up and meet this great man ;)

I stopped by Jim's place today. Just to say hi. I think I'll be creating an event on NorCal NSX Owners Facebook page to drive to the next c&c at Canepa. Jim promised to join as well. He also mentioned about discount on labor and parts (pretty significant number actually) for local NSX crew. So you better show up and meet this great man ;)

Cool idea.........I hope I can make it. I will be needing some service soon and would like to meet Jim.

Great to hear but Santa Cruz is a long way.................need to get a TB job done soon and was thinking to take it to Foreign Affair.

Fremont Acura is very capable of doing TB and provides a loaner car too. Justin Winn is the service manager that you should ask for since he was a Turbo'd NSX owner and managed my engine build very professionally when he was at Sunnyvale Acura before Tesla took over.

Fremont Acura is very capable of doing TB and provides a loaner car too. Justin Winn is the service manager that you should ask for since he was a Turbo'd NSX owner and managed my engine build very professionally when he was at Sunnyvale Acura before Tesla took over.

Justin is a good guy. He helped schedule the PPI for my widebody NSX when I sold it to the buyer. You can't go wrong taking your car to either Justin, or to Jim Russell.
I was at Canepa a couple of months back. What a fun time going through their collection. I would be interested in going again, as well as meeting Jim.

Awesome! Hope to do the same shortly!!

Justin is a good guy. He helped schedule the PPI for my widebody NSX when I sold it to the buyer. You can't go wrong taking your car to either Justin, or to Jim Russell.
I was at Canepa a couple of months back. What a fun time going through their collection. I would be interested in going again, as well as meeting Jim.

Yes, I know of Justin as I took my car to him to have the AC fixed right before NSXPO. However I think it should be clarified that Justin is the service manager at Fremont Acura and not the mechanic. Jim Russell is a mechanic. I'm not sure who the mechanic is at Fremont Acura or his qualifications for doing a job like the TB but I understand Jim is an excellent choice for this.

Good clarification Dhalsim.
I should have mentioned that as well. Justin is the service manager for an Acura dealership. Jim is an independent mechanic and proprietor of his own business.

Yes, I know of Justin as I took my car to him to have the AC fixed right before NSXPO. However I think it should be clarified that Justin is the service manager at Fremont Acura and not the mechanic. Jim Russell is a mechanic. I'm not sure who the mechanic is at Fremont Acura or his qualifications for doing a job like the TB but I understand Jim is an excellent choice for this.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/choice-auto-repair-sunnyvale

For TB and WP I used my family mechanic prior to my engine build and SOS SC. Charly did a great job and at $90/hr shop rate he is really cheap.

I've seen 2 other NSXs there getting the same TB/WP work as well.

Jim was the Manager at Sunnyvale Acura when I had my NSX there for the engine project.

He knows Justin as well.

Last edited:
I had TB, WP, valve adjustment, all coolant hoses and other services done by "Shady mechanic" from SoCal. After I read the thread on Prime about him, I decided to have Jim look everything over. I hadn't driven the car much since the service was done but want to be sure.

Jim found out that cam timing was off by 1 tooth. Timing belt was very loose and tensioner was jammed. Valves were not adjusted properly. Jim (shop mechanic) fixed all of those plus installed new vtec solenoid gaskets, all 4 cam plugs, left axle shaft boot and main relay. So glad I took it to Jim when I did. I think he saved my motor.

I had TB, WP, valve adjustment, all coolant hoses and other services done by "Shady mechanic" from SoCal. After I read the thread on Prime about him, I decided to have Jim look everything over. I hadn't driven the car much since the service was done but want to be sure.

Jim found out that cam timing was off by 1 tooth. Timing belt was very loose and tensioner was jammed. Valves were not adjusted properly. Jim (shop mechanic) fixed all of those plus installed new vtec solenoid gaskets, all 4 cam plugs, left axle shaft boot and main relay. So glad I took it to Jim when I did. I think he saved my motor.

Wow, a true savior! I actually went down by Jim's new shop a couple weeks ago and I saw your car. That car is in fantastic shape, real shame that the shady mechanic almost destroyed it! Glad to hear you got her into good hands before it was too late. :) What exhaust were you running on that btw?

Wow, a true savior! I actually went down by Jim's new shop a couple weeks ago and I saw your car. That car is in fantastic shape, real shame that the shady mechanic almost destroyed it! Glad to hear you got her into good hands before it was too late. :) What exhaust were you running on that btw?

Thanks. Exhaust is RM Racing aka Billy Boat.

Jim is great. I try to stop by and say hi every time I'm in the area. Kinda wish he would be at his old location around Redwood City :)

No, the woman who answered the phone never even heard of him, and when she asked someone else they just said no he doesn't work there. It was very cryptic. Even though I said I'm an NSX owner who's worked with him before etc.

Back