• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

John Vassos & Brookfileld Acura

John Vasos & Brookfileld Acura

I've been looking for a good mechanic here in the midwest for a while now but it's been hard to find anyone nearby with even minimal experience. I did some research here on Prime and landed on John Vasos, Parts and service director at Brookfield Acura. I decided to make the 5 hr trip to the Milwaukee after talking to John, who seemed very familiar with the fixes of every little issue that my car was experiencing. I was told by other service advisors that "this and that needed to be replaced" to fix the problems (as many service facilities would rather just replace with a new part than fix the existing one... which i do understand, actually) but John opted to fix everything when possible - saving me money.
My car was in there for 2 days. I'd decided to hang around and watch Bill (the tech) do his work on my car. What I really didn't expect was John just hanging out with me nearly the whole time I was there - talking about the nsx, racing, business, family, hobbies, he even took me to lunch! He is truly a gentleman. I found Johns knowledge of the NSX and just things in general to be quite intriguing.
I could go on about John and Bill but I'll get to the meat of this post.
They saved me big $$ and found some issues that I feel may have gone unnoticed at a less experienced shop. The hourly rate seemed a little high at just under $100 but John took 10% off of that without me saying anything about it (he took 25% off of parts as well). I had read that John usually never goes over his original estimate and many times falls below it but with the discovery of a few additional issues I knew it was going to cost me more. Little things added up - like the rusted out battery bracket that I failed to mention until late in the first day there. John had it overnighted from Cali at no charge to me... not even for the part! On the 2nd day Bill said he felt a bit of a pull in the rear on acceleration (which I hadn't even caught). They found a torn bushing in the rear - which is extremely rare. I won't go into it too deeply but long story short - they fixed it (I'm no longer in compliance back there if u know what i mean :biggrin: ) and did it without laboriously removing the suspension from the car (he consulted with Mark Basch to see if this was plausible - and they decided to try it :smile: ). Well after this unexpected problem I knew the bill was going to be much more than the original estimate.
ummmm... it still ended up being LESS than the original estimate!! :eek:
I am still thinking of things that I watched Bill do and checking the tally -only to find them not even listed (no charge)! I know that John personally contributed some things to my car and never expected a penny for it. Both John and Bill went way above and beyond the call of duty and I felt like I came out of there owing them much more... much much more than I actually paid. I also have all confidence that the car has been gone over very well. A clean bill of health from Brookfield somehow means more than one from my local Acura dealership! As a side I should mention that there were no fewer than 6 NSX's at Brookfield awaiting some kind of service work - they see plenty of these things. So, is it worth it to drive 5 hrs for this kind of service/experience? I'd drive 10hrs one way to have these guys maintain my NSX's!
In short - I have never had a service experience like this in my life... and I grew up in a Dealership family :smile:
Brookfield Acura - HIGHLY recommended!

Last edited:
John is the Man!!! I feel lucky I only have a 100 mile trip to get my service work done there.

John Vasos is head and shoulders above anyone I have ever dealt with on ANY car (not just NSX). He is extremely knowledgeable and a hell of a nice guy. I could write a ton of things that John has also done for me but the list would be too long. The point is, if you need work on your NSX and are remotely close to Wi, you need to see John. He immediately makes you feel like a friend and somone you can trust.

mystican said:
You will never have a problem with Vasos...

Unless he gets in your way at the track! :biggrin:

John is the man. I too would drive 10 hours to take my NSX in for service. Bill is the guy in there banging knuckles, and deserves a lunch or two on John as well!

A little side story about John. One time a NSX friend of ours had a 1/2 shaft get stripped out while doing 140mph @ RA. (due to a loose axle nut over time) John drove up to the track on a weekend, and crawled under the car (wearing business casual) and proceded to rip apart the car right there, and install a new axle 1/2 at the track! :eek:

Now thats service!

John is a great person who happens to appreciate the NSX and know more about it than anyone I have ever met. He is always willing to help out and go the extra mile when necessary. John's team is a reflection of their manger, knowledgeable, hard working and good people. I would recommend working with John if at all possible........not a bad place to buy a new car either.

Thanks John for everything.

RP-Motorsports said:
Unless he gets in your way at the track! :biggrin:

John is the man. I too would drive 10 hours to take my NSX in for service. Bill is the guy in there banging knuckles, and deserves a lunch or two on John as well!

A little side story about John. One time a NSX friend of ours had a 1/2 shaft get stripped out while doing 140mph @ RA. (due to a loose axle nut over time) John drove up to the track on a weekend, and crawled under the car (wearing business casual) and proceded to rip apart the car right there, and install a new axle 1/2 at the track! :eek:

Now thats service!

Ah yes, Saturday, May 3, 2003.

I remember that day very well. That was the day I took delivery of my 1993, which I picked up at AoB following its pre-purchase inspection (which was free, of course). John waited around for me to stop by, before he had to hop in the Toyota truck (with NSX logos) for RA to replace the axle.

RP-Motorsports said:
ves a lunch or two on John as well!

Now thats service!

Hey, that was my car! I'll also throw in my two cents. John warrantied the snap ring on my tranny a little over one year ago even though I am the fourth owner of my car. There was some misunderstanding when I purchased the car from it's previous owner about the tranny being fixed prior, so when I called to ask John for advice on what to do now that I confirmed the ring was broken, he suggested that if I can get it to them that they'd fix it no charge. He even offered to pay my hotel fee and I think even the ferry fee (my recollection is cloudy on that) but they rebuilt my whole tranny in less than one day and two hours, and I was back on the ferry on my way home lickity split!

Last edited:
I hate to revive a very old thread, but I have to agree with these commets regarding John Vassos. I have been desperately looking to buy my first nsx and after finding one I liked in the LA area I called him up on a whim using Primes locator to see if I could pick his brain and establish as relationship as any nsx I purchase would require service. I certainly got a lot more than I expected...

Having never met John in person, he had already procured results of his original findings for the car in question and called out to Shad at Driving Ambition to find more information and help find someone local to look over the car. Shad recommended Autowave in Huntington Beach for the PPI.

Even before the results came in, John was back on the phone with Shane at Autowave to get an update. It turns out the car looks like it will be needing major services. I'm now realizing this dream is going to start costing me serious money if I'm going to make this happen.

John calls me back to review the findings from Autowave and immediately starts talking options and game plan. This calms me down. I'm feeling that I have a serious guru on my side that has already shown his willingness to go out of his way to help.

My experience so far with John Vassos can be summed up as "amazingly unexpected."

I will also say on a side bar that everyone I have talked to and have been involved in this process have been great. In my very short existence, I cannot say that I have ever really had an experience quite like this.

I am anxiously awaiting arrival of this car and meeting John in person.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back