• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Just cleaned out intake... now a CEL

I just loosened the strap that holds the air inlet tube (on the air filter side of the tube) and stuck the straw from the BG44k intake cleaner in and sprayed conservatively while keeping revs at about 1500-2000. 1/2 way through the CEL came up and blinked intermittently. Same thing happened a couple weeks ago when I cleaned the intake on my M3... BUT the CEL on the M3 went out the next time i started it up. No such luck with the NSX... Any tips, or should i just be patient and see if it goes out on its own?
Thanks a ton as usual
ML

Open the front bonnet, remove the fuse box cover on the right apron and pull the "clock" fuse (7 1/2 amps) for 20 seconds and put it back in.
Code should be cleared but you will have to reset the clock and radio stations.

haha... is there NO one around to help u out for 4 minutes??

NSXT said:
Exactly the problem. So, how is it done? I used a long broom handle to push on the gas pedal. Crude, but works.

Haha,
2 people is ideal :biggrin: I found someone to lend me a hand for a few minutes.
I'll do the fix it first thing tomorrow. Thanks for the help once again guys!

Saves a trip to the dealer

It worked!
Thanks a ton guys!

Have you tried seafoam , seems to be very helpful to get deposits in the intake manifold where a spraycan can't .

GODZILLA said:
Have you tried seafoam , seems to be very helpful to get deposits in the intake manifold where a spraycan can't .

I didn't inspect too deeply but after doing the clean w/ the BG i removed the air inlet tube and inspected the throttle butterfly (with a morror and all!) and that was very clean - big improvement - which was verified by a smoother idle. However I didn't get to see much past the butterfly - is Seafoam better than or different from BG44k?

Is BG44K the name of the product or is it short for something? I have taken my engine down for a few days and noticed some residue on the butterfly valve of the TB also that I would like to clean.
Are there any other brands/products I can use to spray in there that won't harm anything?

92NSX said:
Is BG44K the name of the product or is it short for something? I have taken my engine down for a few days and noticed some residue on the butterfly valve of the TB also that I would like to clean.
Are there any other brands/products I can use to spray in there that won't harm anything?

Not sure what the name means but the guys in our shop swear by it - and nothing else. They say cheap additives you can get at the parts stores aren't worth much if anything. BG is fairly expensive stuff but worth it I think.

Here's an example of some BG products

Last edited:
92NSX said:

Valvoline, STP there are several brands of throttle body cleaner. You should be able to pick up a spray can at any NAPA, Autozone or other auto supply store.

As mentioned in my article in NSXDriver last issue, I have great luck with the Valvoline product. Also in another thread someone with a OBDII got a check light after cleaning. Nothing to be alarmed about, just reset the ECU.

When you blast the throttle body the ECU really has no idea the cleaner is entering the system and cannot compensate for the mixture change, so it throws a check light. OBD1 (1991-94) do not throw the code in my experience.

HTH,
LarryB

Back