• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Just drove an NSX!

KenjiMR's new BRG beauty, to be specific.
smile.gif
I was on a military base so I could only putt around below 35mph, but I still got a decent feel for the car at low speeds. I'm a college student and as such can only afford the humble first-gen MR2.

First thing I noticed when I sat inside was the very low seating position. Much different than what I'm used to. The driver's seat was a real treat. So comfortable. The side bolstering is in just the right places and it only took a second of adjusting the seat to get perfectly comfortable. As I began to pull away I noticed the gas pedal was pretty stiff, which did not seem normal to me. The clutch was very nice, though. Great short travel and smooth pickup. Steering is well done and nicely weighted, but doesn't have the "feel-every-pebble-and-crack" feedback of my non-power-steering MR2. The ride was a little bumpy, but definitely not harsh. Throttle response was excellent -- it reminded me of my MR2: instant power when you move your foot closer to the carpet. Is it me or is the gas pedal in the NSX awful close to the carpet on the center tunnel? I also noticed the shifter, while it had great throws and easy to find gates (again reminding me of my MR2), felt stiff going into each gear. Kenji, think it's time to change the transaxle fluid?

Anyway, the NSX is easily the most exotic car I've driven, although probably the fastest only by a small margin. I have also driven a '93 MR2 Turbo with a boost controller and some other small modifications, and an '87 MR2 converted to supercharged running about 200hp (weighs about 2,450lbs). The MR2s I got to wind up a bit.

I originally wanted to keep my '87 MR2, turn it into a race car, and buy a MKII Turbo MR2 for a daily driver vehicle. The NSX experience was exquisite, though. Who knows, if I can afford an early model in the future, I'd seriously consider buying one.

It's amazing to me how similar the NSX was to my old MR2 in some ways. The NSX just takes things a whole lot further.
smile.gif

Jumping back into my MR2 to head home, it became immediately apparent how cramped the interior is.

Thanks Kenji, for giving me the opportunity!

While I am glad you got a chance to drive the NSX, I am not sure that puttering around at 35 mph is really a fair assessment of the cars potential. I think if you drive the car the way it was designed to be driven, i.e. tossing it into a gentle curve at 140 mph and then hard on the brakes for a series of hairpins at 70 mph where the posted safe speed is only 30 mph, I think you will get a better idea of just how much different it is than your MR2.
smile.gif

------------------
Gordon G. Miller, III
Y2K NSX #51 Yellow/Black
[email protected] http://www.g3.com

Oh yes, obviously the NSX was not designed to cruise around at 35 mph.
smile.gif
I know it can blow away my old MR2 in just about every respect [my Mister's got it on price though!]. I was just pleasantly surprised to notice that some things felt familiar. The NSX was also the first Honda car I've driven. Everybody seems to rave about how good Hondas drive -- well it was about as good as my Toyota in many ways, just tooling around at low speeds.

Kenji is probably cringing at the idea of me taking his new baby into triple digit speeds at, say, Laguna Seca.
wink.gif

I wouldn't underestimate the MR2's cornering ability, though, either. They stick to the road quite well, especially considering their low price.
smile.gif

Wonder how long before NSXs start selling for under $10,000....
wink.gif

Hey, no problem.
wink.gif

On a side note, the new MR2 runs neck and neck with my 1999 Miata S. There are a few MR2 owners that rave about their MR2s. The rare twin turbo versions are quite amazing. It took me 8 cars over the last 5 years to get to the point where I could afford my NSX. I have driven everthing from 911 Turbos and Ferrari 355s to Dodge Vipers and many others... the NSX is by far the most comfortable, the most agressive handling, and the best balanced exotic daily driveable car I have ever driven. These days my BMW 740i and my Miata S simply sit in the driveway begging to be driven... my choice, even on the rainy days, is still my NSX.
wink.gif

------------------
Gordon G. Miller, III
Y2K NSX #51 Yellow/Black

Twin turbo MR2? No such thing. Not from the factory anyway. Perhaps the lettering on the engine is misleading -- it says "Twin Entry Turbo". But there is only one turbo on there. Still quite an amazing car for its price back in the early 90s. Quarter mile in 14.5 seconds for a pretty low price, not to mention it looks a lot like a Ferrari.
smile.gif
The engine is a gem, too. It can handle 300hp with bolt ons, and 400hp on stock internals if you upgrade the fuel system. Its major shortcoming is weight. It's got an iron block.

It seems the new MR2 is a bit faster in a straight line than the Miata. It's lighter and has more torque. Motor Trend took one to 60mph in 6.6 seconds and covered the quarter mile in 15.2 seconds. The Miata has the edge on handling, though. Toyota made one big mistake with the new MR2 Spyder: they made the handling too safe for all the idiots out there who can't handle mid-engined cars. It pushes at the limit. It has 185mm tires up front and 205s in rear. Even those out a little and I think the Spyder might be able to keep pace with a Miata in the curves. Both are great cars and to be honest I'm not sure which I'd rather have given the choice. I sat in an MR2 Spyder at the dealer and it was the second most comfortable car I've ever been in. Second only to the NSX.
smile.gif

How fortunate you are to have driven all those nice cars!

[This message has been edited by AW11 Owner (edited 06 May 2000).]

Originally posted by AW11 Owner:
How fortunate you are to have driven all those nice cars!

Thanks, I know I have been lucky. Let's just say that it had to be fate that a buddy of mine from school had parents who owned the local Porsche Dealership. Thankfully, I could "borrow" whatever I wanted, whenever the opportunity arose. I have also owned many of the these cars in pursuit of the perfect car. I am really quite satisfied with the NSX. I still feel the need to own a Ferrari, but it would have to be one hell of a Ferrari. I was in the Ferrari pits in 1998 at the Rolex 24 hours at Dayton when they won first place in the overall for the first time in 31 years! It was amazing! I almost ran right out and bought a Ferrari that year just from all the hype.

As far as the MR2 goes, I got a chance to check out the new MR2 here today. A client of mine has 14 dealerships, everything for Acura (of course) to Honda and Mazda. Another source of my ability to drive everything in sight. Well, I guess they got the MR2 somewhere. Anway, someone else paid 100% of MSRP right after I took a look and I think I will keep my Miata.

I also stand corrected on the MR2 Twin Turbo thing... I will have to read those engine labels more carefully next time.
wink.gif

------------------
Gordon G. Miller, III
Y2K NSX #51 Yellow/Black

Lud, as always you DO NOT disappoint. This is a great comparison.

In the NSX, the poor driver can do almost as well as the good driver, because the car is doing the work and taking the credit. Some would call this boring, and it might be if the limits weren't so high: it's hard to be bored when you're taking a 15 mph curve at 45.

I have to agree with this 100%. I recently relayed this same comment to Lud after my quick trip for the POM shot. I was shocked at how BORING the drive can get when you can take 15 mph curves at 3x the posted speed. I have to admit that I found the same trip in my 1999 Miata S much more of a challenge. The limits of the NSX are SO FAR out there that self preservation certainly kicks in long before the capabilities of the NSX gives out.
wink.gif

------------------
Gordon G. Miller, III
Y2K NSX #51 Yellow/Black

Back