• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Just got nailed doing 110mph in a 55mph

Ski_Banker said:
Little harsh don't ya think? You're the MD, it sounds like, so what is the difference in driving reaction times between a high IQ person with a couple beers and:

1. 95 year old grandma
2. The perfectly sober Forrest Gump
(These drivers are functionally impaired every single mile but w/ no career-ending felony convictions, no loss of citizens' rights, etc.)

What matters (and I could be wrong) is how quickly the person processes information -- and that being said -- do you recommend intelligence tests for drivers licenses?

Obviously, I don't advocate drinking and driving AT ALL. But a little context would be nice before you run off and lynch the foolish original poster.
I don't think I am being too harsh. There is nothing worst than a teenage boy not returning home because he was killed on his bicycle by a drunk driver.
A couple of grandparents with their grand children killed ( 3 out of four died)because a drunk ran them off the road. I have seen and was involved in those cases at the truama center.

Even though it is off toic, but since you asked, I will give you my opinion. NO. I do not believe a 95 year old or a sober Forrest Gump should be on the road . Maybe we should retest drivers periodically. But I am no law maker.

I think all drunk drivers believe they can process info as fast as you when they took the key to ther car. So there is no need for me to comment on that.

I don't think anyone crucified the original poster for speeding. I know we have all done it from time to time. The most serious issue here is the drinking and driving. I am glad to see that even the original poster realized that was wrong. There are mistakes you can correct, and there are MISTAKES you can not correct. A lesson hopefully we have all learned.

deedubb said:
I see where it may have confused you. I was meaning that i think its good that the laws are strict for DUI's. I didn't intend it to sound as literally 1 drink. Although, 1 drink to some might be a beer, 1 drink to another might mean 1 glass of vodka on the rocks. These will affect people differently based upon their weight, tolerance and other factors. My mistake

No problema.

FWIW, the way *I* understand it, 1 ounce of alcohol, usually in a mixed drink, would equal roughly 1 12 oz bottle of beer. A 6 oz glass of wine, somewhere in there as well.

Each "drink" gets you .02. Every half hour takes the total donw about .01. So, if you had a drink at 10PM, at 10:30, with no additional alcohol you should register about .01. And so it goes.

In NY (I think still), .06 is "impaired" and .1 is intox.

The problem, as I see it, and as you touched on it, is manyfold. Body weight, metabolism, and simply tolerance to alcohol itself, ALL play a part in who is really "impaired" and who is not.

I've seen a 110 pound woman outdrink (easily) a 240 pound guy. A guy at my golf club gets really silly after 1 beer and downright stupid after a 2nd.

And, as far as driving goes, while I don't condone drinking and driving, there are tons of people they give licenses to here that don't belong behind the wheel of a tricycle. And I'm not talking about just the very old and the very young.

I'm betting that just about anyone on this site, driving NSX's the way we do and being "enthusiasts", could be legally impaired and probably STILL drive better than 80% of the idiots on the road that were stone cold sober (not that I would suggest in any way doing so) :eek:

Haven't I heard of places/countries (in Europe ?) where it costs upwards of $2,000 to get a license ? AND they have to pass a rigorous road test as well ? (as opposed to our road tests here, which are, in fact, a joke)

Fact is, there's far more to being truly "impaired" than your BAC. :wink:

Last edited:
steveny said:
Fact is a lot of drunk drivers survive a crash. Smoore was simply playing it safe just in case he did crash. :wink: :biggrin:
Smoore, Maybe you can argue this point in court to try and get out of the ticket.

Your Honor, You see the conditions were optimal for me to reach high speeds. I had heard a lot of DUI driver do in fact survive a crash because their bodies are in a more relaxed state. Couple that with the fact I was in a high performance sports car, The road was empty and I just happen to be on a bridge. I figured what the hell, lets me see what this puppy will do. Then just stand there like..:biggrin:

LOL!

I am lumping you two together into a single response- my last in this thread. If you wish for further clarification feel free to PM...

Spinner said:
Ok this is fucked up. If it was a newbie posting this, all hell would come down on him. In other words it will turn into a witch hunt regardless of who is right or wrong. No one will defend the newbie...but since OP has a long history at prime, some feel the need to defend him.

I don't care if the OP's post count was 1, or 20,000- board seniority has nothing to do with my argument.

OneRedNSX said:
just out of cureosity since you seem to be on some sort of self-appointed crusade...

did you ever think that nobody that posted the 'negative connotations' in their responses cared if you liked it or not? if negative replys in a post dedicated to such a stupid act that it SHOULD be outwardly condemned bother you maybe you should have just reported the THREAD and the FIRST POST as something you had a problem with... but you didn't which makes me wonder if you just wanted to start a different argument...

I don't know about you, but I would prefer the 'community' that was intellingent enough to NOT show ANY side of complaciency or sympathy to such an action. Nothing really personal against the thread-starter but it was really f*n stupid and if 1 person says it or 650 people say it, I am much happier to see people condeming this type of behavior instead of trying to be accepting or p.c. about it.

funny how you talk about 'class'... you read the first post right?

'nuff said

Is it? Or do we need another 649 people say the same thing before it is a valid message? By your own argument we do.

Don't you think you made your argument eloquently enough? Do you really need to collect a mob of supporters for your cause?

In this case I agree- it was wrong to have even one drink and drive 110mph, any reasonable person would feel that way.

I don't agree with the mob mentality that develops while others continuously pile on the criticism.

I don't see anyone defending what the OP did. I certainly wasn't. I was just making a comment on the fact that too many people had jumped on the band wagon to criticize since that point had clearly been made.

I have been on these boards for quite some time, and my observation of this thread is that too many people out there want be a part of making this guy feel bad. They probably do this so they can feel really good about projecting the image of a "perfect person"- thats just ego, plain and simple.

How many people need to tell this guy that what he did was stupid before it will be enough? After a point it isn't helpful anymore, it is just rubbing someones nose in their mistake.

That is a crummy thing to do, and it is done by people who are so small that the only way they can feel good is to point out the shortcomings of others.

Watch the boards for the next couple of weeks and see if I don't make the same point in as many threads as I see this occuring in regardless of whether I agree that what the OP did was right or wrong.

This type of dog-pile criticism needs to stop. It is bad form, and bad behavior. Overall it makes for lousy reading, and degrades the quality of the site. This isn't a "crusade", but if anyone took any of this personally, then I am a success. Maybe they will modify their behavior, or at least know what they are doing when they are doing it.

As said above- this is my LAST response in this thread- If anyone wishes to discuss further, feel free to PM, or even start a new thread if you feel your comment is worth the keystrokes, and bandwidth.

Philip

Last edited:
smoore said:
Oh.. shut up.. go crawl from the hole you came out of!!!!
Amazing the number Dumb a$$'s that have barely been on this site for a year!!!Yet they still want to be such hard a$$'s...

wow, you managed to say absolutely nothing but use an amazing amount of words to do it. a lil confused on how any of that has anything to do with being a hard a$$ as you put it (such a great usage of 14yr old internet symbols though, 'props' there).

guess I shouldn't have expected anything less from somebody that can't manage to do something simple like not drink and drive.

H-carWizKid said:
I am lumping you two together into a single response- my last in this thread. If you wish for further clarification feel free to PM...

I don't care if the OP's post count was 1, or 20,000- board seniority has nothing to do with my argument.

Is it? Or do we need another 649 people say the same thing before it is a valid message? By your own argument we do.

Don't you think you made your argument eloquently enough? Do you really need to collect a mob of supporters for your cause?

In this case I agree- it was wrong to have even one drink and drive 110mph, any reasonable person would feel that way.

I don't agree with the mob mentality that develops while others continuously pile on the criticism.

I don't see anyone defending what the OP did. I certainly wasn't. I was just making a comment on the fact that too many people had jumped on the band wagon to criticize since that point had clearly been made.

I have been on these boards for quite some time, and my observation of this thread is that too many people out there want be a part of making this guy feel bad. They probably do this so they can feel really good about projecting the image of a "perfect person"- thats just ego, plain and simple.

How many people need to tell this guy that what he did was stupid before it will be enough? After a point it isn't helpful anymore, it is just rubbing someones nose in their mistake.

That is a crummy thing to do, and it is done by people who are so small that the only way they can feel good is to point out the shortcomings of others.

Watch the boards for the next couple of weeks and see if I don't make the same point in as many threads as I see this occuring in regardless of whether I agree that what the OP did was right or wrong.

This type of dog-pile criticism needs to stop. It is bad form, and bad behavior. Overall it makes for lousy reading, and degrades the quality of the site. This isn't a "crusade", but if anyone took any of this personally, then I am a success. Maybe they will modify their behavior, or at least know what they are doing when they are doing it.

As said above- this is my LAST response in this thread- If anyone wishes to discuss further, feel free to PM, or even start a new thread if you feel your comment is worth the keystrokes, and bandwidth.

Philip
I think you mistook my post. I agree with what you just said. I'm totaly against the mob mentality and was just stating that it gets even uglier when a newb posts. I believe that one's popularity or post count shouldn't affect the outcome. Its sometimes hard to post one's feelings on forums, since all it takes is a forum veteran to say something against you and soon you have the rest of the forum following his lead (ass-kissing, agreeing and etc.).

Same exact thing happens when someone says something negative about an NSX (albeit it being the truth). You have the mob effect.

Wow, Prime went downhill fast in the past year. Interesting posts by some of the "holier-than-thou" crowd on this thread.

Smoore, hope you get it all sorted out and come out OK (I can't say hope it turns out well, b/c frankly, it wont - either cost you $$, time or both).

This is one of those life lessons, and the important lessons always cost the most.

Attachments

• L1020467.jpg
    L1020467.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 132
My only feelings on this matter are if there consequences aren't harsh enough, what will stop someone from doing it again. Possibly harming someone in the future. If you can just pay a few $$ and get off without time, or points or revocation then there is no lesson learned.
I'm not by any means hoping something bad happens to Smoore but just stating my opinion in general on the subject of drinking and driving.

o.k. i'm lucky i didn't go to jail especially since i had a few drinks.
Please don't bother telling me i diserve what i get for my actions no one is saying i wasn't stupid.
Anyway 3 am on a lonely bridge FHP trooper clocked me on radar by myself (not racing anyone) at 110mph in a 55mph zone (another 1/4 mile it would have been 65mph) i was just glad i didn't get a DUI.

Anyway anyone have experiece like this? I now have a automatic court date set for Nov 27th and would like to know what i'm up against? My driving record isn't to bad but not to good either?
What realisticly can i expect to get? does anyone know without guessing to hard?:redface: :frown:
any help would be great......

p.s. anything good out of this is i was in my car by myself on a long lonely bridge by myself not racing anyone at 3am(i was the only one putting myself at risk except the trooper who was a ways away)

Guess you didn't learn your lesson..

I think I've learned a lesson too- based on my comments here...

Sheesh. Benefit of doubt was pretty pointless. My apologies to anyone I argued with in this thread previously- you guys were right, I was wrong.

P

Two people I know

Case one, guy 38 y/o has seven DWI's never spent a day in jail

Case two, Guy 39 y/o has 3 DWI's just got out of prison after a three year stay.

Update

case one. guy has received 2 more DWI's, one of which he tried to out run the police while he had two children in the car under the age of 10.

case two. Guy has not had a drop of alcohol since being released.

I don't understand the point of the thread. The OP has another identical thread and got blasted there too. Why would you post two threads that you KNOW everybody is going to shit all over you no matter what you say? This is obviously a joke or you just want to see reactions. If this is real, get a lawyer.... If this is fake, grow up and MODS please delete the thread(s).

If you look at the new thread, it is not a joke. There is a link there that shows his mugshot

Also, this was originally 2006

I don't understand the point of the thread. The OP has another identical thread and got blasted there too. Why would you post two threads that you KNOW everybody is going to shit all over you no matter what you say? This is obviously a joke or you just want to see reactions. If this is real, get a lawyer.... If this is fake, grow up and MODS please delete the thread(s).

Two separate threads 5 years apart.

Back