• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Just got the iPhone

Lets see how long this phone lasts... (From Renee, Steveny's wife)

I smuggled a bunch of these phones into Thailand. The first batch about 50% went bad in the first 6 months. But they have very skilled mobile phone repair there that was able to fix them...

There's a new problem these phones are having with some of my clients. I set them up on ActiveSync to get e-mail and now meetings accepted from the computer do not appear on the phone. If it's accepted from the iPhone it works fine. But they missed a number of meetings because of this bug that was introduced in 3.0, it does not exist in 2.x. Apple support has been horrible, they have no idea how to troubleshoot this and almost act as if they are ignorant of this bug. They've recommended resetting the device, deleting and re-creating the Exchange accounts. So now I have to re-activate them with Blackberry. Anyhow, found this thread on the Apple forums which describe exactly what we're going through.

I smuggled a bunch of these phones into Thailand. The first batch about 50% went bad in the first 6 months. But they have very skilled mobile phone repair there that was able to fix them...

wow. That is a little surprising.

i picked one up the other day and like it, though i'm a touch-typist, too, and would prefer a keyboard.

i picked one up the other day and like it, though i'm a touch-typist, too, and would prefer a keyboard.

The KB is pretty good. I used the Storm2 a few weeks ago and the KB on it is much better than it was. I still prefer a real KB like the PRE, but i don't like that you can't have the physical KB in landscrape mode. Though the Pre now has a virtual KB as well.

The KB is pretty good. I used the Storm2 a few weeks ago and the KB on it is much better than it was. I still prefer a real KB like the PRE, but i don't like that you can't have the physical KB in landscrape mode. Though the Pre now has a virtual KB as well.
yeah... for the type of keyboard it is, it does seem fairly usable... i suppose i'm just whining.

while i really don't use the phone capabilities much (i spent too many years on the phone as a salesguy - i HATE talking on the phone now), i love having all the other things on an easy to use device that fits in my pocket - email, browser, music, photos... gps is cool. lots more toys to explore so i'm sure the keyboard-thing will fade soon.

MMS will be Activated in US on Sep 25th

BTW: One thing everyone needs to remember is that the volume of 3G traffic by the iPhone is huge. iPhone represents nearly 70% of all 3G phone traffic. For some reason (heh heh) iPhone users use their phones A LOT and therefore any new feature or capability is magnified. AT&T can barely keep up with the exploding iPhone traffic as it is.

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/aug2009/tc20090823_412749.htm

If this was any other mere "phone" MMS wouldn't have been a big deal. It's the App Store that's driving this explosion. iPhone users are buying tons of apps - many of which are network aware and network intense. Apple's going to have to get in bed with other carriers simply because AT&T can't grow fast enough to handle the iPhone load.

Anyway... here's the blurb on MMS....

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/22314/

We know many of our iPhone customers are eager for an update on our rollout schedule for Multimedia Messaging Service (MMS). We’ve been working for the past several months to prepare our systems and network to ensure the best possible experience with MMS when it launches – and that launch date is: September 25 for iPhone 3G and 3GS customers. MMS will be enabled through a software update on that day.

We know that iPhone users will embrace MMS. The unique capabilities and high usage of the iPhone’s multimedia capabilities required us to work on our network MMS architecture to carry the expected record volumes of MMS traffic and ensure an excellent experience from Day One. We appreciate your patience as we work toward that end.

We’re riding the leading edge of smartphone growth that’s resulted in an explosion of traffic over the AT&T network. Wireless use on our network has grown an average of 350 percent year-over-year for the past two years, and is projected to continue at a rapid pace in 2009 and beyond. The volume of smartphone data traffic the AT&T network is handling is unmatched in the wireless industry. We want you to know that we’re working relentlessly to innovate and invest in our network to anticipate this growth in usage and to stay ahead of the anticipated growth in data demand, new devices and applications for years to come.

We thank you for your business and look forward to keeping you updated on our initiatives.

Back