• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Just hit 12,000 miles

It has been a year since my last oil change. I am still at 80%of oil life. Nevertheless I took my car in to my local Acura, that finally got a trained NSX Tech. I decided to change the oil, duel motor (trans fluid), the Transmission and rear end (trans fluid, and gear oil). I live in the hills of Santa Barbara and drive short distances so the car does not get hot enough. I am taking an oil sample and sending it in for analysis. I will report out the results.

Well, it took a couple of days as the parts were on backorder. They changed the twin motor which uses DW-1 ATF fluid, the Brake Flush using Dot 4, and the Oil change using Mobil One 0-40. They took an oil sample for me which I will send in and report on. They did not do the transmission as the service manager noted that a filter of some sorts is located on the transmission. He wanted to determine if that needed changing. Thus far no info. Anyone out there know about the filter associated with the trans? It looks like a spin-on cartridge.

They gave me a 2023 MDX for a loaner. Nice SUV, but sort of underpowered. I would have liked to have test driven the Type S MDX with adjusting dampers.

Pohanka Acura might be able to give you an answer on the transmission filter - https://goo.gl/maps/X5bduz5HqBVQLZvL9

I think the previous owner of my car got the transmission and clutch fluid changed there.

How did the oil report look?

Was this your first transmission and clutch fluid change?

The guidelines I found online say the first change should be at 3 years or 37k miles, then every 2 years or 25k miles. But every 18k miles if driving under severe conditions. Severe including short trips under 5 miles like you mentioned.

Previous owner changed at 2 years and 15k miles. The car is now at 4.5 years and 27k miles but not calling for any service. Maybe I should get it changed again just based on the "then every 2 years" guideline.

Lol my 22 has about 1750 miles and I'm at 90% oil life....I don't have to change oil for 7 years....:p

Pohanka Acura might be able to give you an answer on the transmission filter - https://goo.gl/maps/X5bduz5HqBVQLZvL9

I think the previous owner of my car got the transmission and clutch fluid changed there.

How did the oil report look?

Was this your first transmission and clutch fluid change?

The guidelines I found online say the first change should be at 3 years or 37k miles, then every 2 years or 25k miles. But every 18k miles if driving under severe conditions. Severe including short trips under 5 miles like you mentioned.

Previous owner changed at 2 years and 15k miles. The car is now at 4.5 years and 27k miles but not calling for any service. Maybe I should get it changed again just based on the "then every 2 years" guideline.
Yes, this was the first trans and clutch fluid change. In the end we never got confirmation on the filter on the side of the transmission. It took them a long time to get information. They asked Acura to good will the Trans and Clutch, which they did. So I was a happy customer. I will probably do the whole thing in another two to three years. It is peace of mind and relatively inexpensive compared to failures.
Got the oil analysis back and will post it

Attachments

• 17 NSX-Oil Analysis 230428.pdf
    18.1 KB · Views: 7
Lol my 22 has about 1750 miles and I'm at 90% oil life....I don't have to change oil for 7 years....:p

I'm at 4k miles, Feb makes 2 years of ownership and I'm still at 50%. I was told not to change it till the maintenance minder says to for the initial first oil change.

Seems so odd as I'm so used to changing it annually regardless of mileage.

If you want additional data points on oil quality, you can take a sample and send it out for analysis. For around $30 you will know what is in the oil and its service life. Far superior to a software algorithm Telling you to change or not.

I studied and taught predictive maintenance. It is based on data collection and analysis. The maintenance minder is in my opinion is not unlike what an idiot light was to drivers going back decades. When the engine light came on indicating the engine was overheated, it was already a done deal. That is why folks went with real gauges to measure parameters like water temp, oil temp, oil pressure etcetera. The maintenance minder is a system established for those people who otherwise don’t pay attention. In my humble opinion.

An example would be your kid getting a report card. If you wait for the report card to ascertain whether your kid is doing well, then don’t be surprised when he or she gets a grade of C or worst before taking action. If you don’t know how well your kid is performing then you are not paying attention.

How bout going to the Dentist. Do you wait for a tooth ache, or do you go twice a year for cleaning and x-rays? Do you suffer from angina pain and then tell the Doctor to fix you by getting bypass surgery or do you go for regular checkups measuring blood pressure, blood work, family history Etcetera. Hey sorry for the rant.

Last edited:
Back