• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Just installed NEW Uni Filter....now CEL

Hi. I just installed a NEW, from the factory (pre-oiled), Uni filter. I now have a Check Engine Light after about 5 minutes of driving.

I was thinking I should disconnect the battery and reset the ECU. Maybe the ECU is recognizing more air flow and causing the CEL?

I noticed the pre-oiled filter was very oily. I wonder if it had too much oil and the oil may have gotten on the Mass Air Sensor or something?

I haven't checked the codes check nor reopened the filter box to see if any oil is aft of the actual filter. Wanted to hear a few suggestions first.

Thanks!

you probably accidentally pulled off one of the many small vacuum lines near the air box that when you had to pull it up to put the filter in.

Remove the filter. It's filter is very weak, gets lots of dirt n stuff in there. Yes, it gets more oil, but it contaminates your oil quicker and causes a bit more wear. I suppose if you change your oil a little quicker it might be ok.

I had the UNI, went back to the stock. No longer need to worry about whether you oiled it properly etc...

Remove the filter. It's filter is very weak, gets lots of dirt n stuff in there. Yes, it gets more oil, but it contaminates your oil quicker and causes a bit more wear. I suppose if you change your oil a little quicker it might be ok.

I had the UNI, went back to the stock. No longer need to worry about whether you oiled it properly etc...

Hmmm.

I opened the filter box and everything was fine, no oil in the box or anything. It was perfectly clean and oil free as when I installed the UNI filter.

I haven't disconnected the battery yet to reset the ECU.

Did you get the check engine light when you installed your UNI filter?

you probably accidentally pulled off one of the many small vacuum lines near the air box that when you had to pull it up to put the filter in.

Man, I don't know. I thought about that but I double checked and everything seems to be in order. The only vacuum hose I really touched was the one attached (for support only) to the side of the air box. I easily unclipped it from the box and reattached it. No big deal really. The install is pretty simple.

I used to run the Unifilter. Never had an issue with a CEL though.
I would pull the code and then report back what it is. No use in guessing at it here when it's easy to get the correct info and then know for sure.

if it will clear- yes, then put the oem filter back in to see if cel comes back- if it does, your filter is not the cause, just happened to be a coincidence.
if the cel does not clear even with oem filter back in- it was not the cause in the first place, right?

I used to run the Unifilter. Never had an issue with a CEL though.
I would pull the code and then report back what it is. No use in guessing at it here when it's easy to get the correct info and then know for sure.

10-4. Hopefully I'll get a specific description of the problem from the code and not a general "engine's emission control systems may have a problem" as the owner's manual suggests when the CEL comes on.

Next will be to switch the OEM filter back to see if it goes out.

Thank you guys. I'll report back.

Hi

What I saw when I changed the intake and to a Unifilter was that the idle went up for some seconds then down to normal again. I had a K&N already.

Some times I get the check engine light or was it the cat light. That is just what happens with our NSX. When this happens I pull the main fuse for 30+ seconds and I am fine again. Do not have to pull the battery.

If I get the check cat problem the car goes into low power mode. But I am back after I pulled the fuse.

Please be aware that if you change to a Cantrell or whatever intake your filter will get more dirty than before. So clean it more often.

Regards

Ok fellers, here is what I found out...

Pulled codes:
ABS light - 9 long blinks ... Code 90
CEL/MIL light - 6 long, 1 short ... Code 61

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/DIY/trouble_codes.htm

I did reset the codes by pulling the clock fuse for a minute. The CEL did go out. I drove it for 20 minutes after and no light. :smile:

Not sure what caused the light.

FYI, my fuel tank was very low. The fuel cap was tight too, 3+ clicks.

You may be on to something with reference to low fuel. Note the parameters on a typical OBD II system... :wink:

Generic OBD II "Drive Cycle"
Most OBD II ("On-Board Diagnostics II") diagnostic monitors will run at some time during normal operation of the vehicle.
However, to satisfy all of the different Trip enable criteria and run all of the OBD II diagnostic monitors, the vehicle must be driven under a variety of conditions. The following drive cycle will (theoretically) allow all monitors to run on (??) vehicle. (Note: Drive cycle specifics vary by vehicle!)
1.Ensure that the fuel tank is between 1/4 and 3/4 full.
2.Start cold (below 86°F /30°C) and warm up until engine coolant temperature is at least 160° F (typically requires at least one minute; up to 3 minutes).
3.Accelerate to 40-55 MPH at 25% throttle and maintain speed for five minutes.
4.Decelerate without using the brake (coast down) to 20 MPH or less, then stop the vehicle. Allow the engine to idle for 10 seconds, turn the key off, and wait one minute.
5.Restart and accelerate to 40-55 MPH at 25% throttle and maintain speed for two minutes.
6.Decelerate with using the brake [or the clutch!] by coasting down to 20 MPH or less, then stop the vehicle. Allow the engine to idle for 10 seconds, turn the key off, and wait one minute.

Back