• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Just want to lower an inch

eg9

Contributing Member
I read the following statement in the FAQ regarding the best way to lower your car an inch. I read that one just installs the Eibach springs and all is well but then I read this:

"I feel you improve looks by lowering the car with springs, but you kill performance...you don't get a much firmer ride, but you will get a bouncier ride, since the OEM struts are too soft to "keep up" with the stiffer/lower springs. In order to improve handling, lower the car with struts and keep your OEM springs."

Struts? So my 2003 can be lowered an inch (that's all I want) with the OEM struts?

I'm basically asking what would be the most "cost-effective" way to lower my car an inch and not lose handling performance?

THANK

EG

shocks to lower car

I've heard contradictory opinions about oem shocks and aftermarket springs.
some people say eibach/oem shocks is too bouncy and some say it's perfect. i have no idea. i'm still confused about it as well.

but you can get bilstein shocks and set your oem springs on the lower perch to get ~1 inch lower. that is what i have purchased and will do when i have time. my shocks are old anyways so it was the most cost efficient way for me, new shocks and lower at the same time.

you can't lower you car with oem shocks as they dont' have a high/low setting... it's fixed.

Warning: Humor Content

eg9 said:
I'm basically asking what would be the most "cost-effective" way to lower my car an inch and not lose handling performance?

Use the jack to raise the car an inch higher, and then let it down.
laugh.gif

I ran the Eibach springs with stock shocks for almost 2-years (until the stock shocks gave out). The car was approximately 1" lower by measurement but probably looked 2 or more inches lower.

From my experience, I think you would be very happy with just the Eibach springs and accomplish what you want with the least expense and with little to no impact on everyday driveability/comfort.

Thanks for the info guys.

BTW- What should it cost me for this service to be done? Can any mechanic do this or should this be in the hands of an authorized dealership?

Thanks,

EG-

I spoke to an NSX/Acura mechanic who races and works on other exotics about lowering 1 inch and he said the feel of the ride will change drastically for very little performance improvement.

All I want is to get rid of that large gap between the fenderwell and the tire. I don't want more than an inch and I still want to have a comfortable ride. Can someone please tell me if the Eibach springs solves my issue. Lower the car 1 inch not lose too much driving comfort or performance and cost of labor and parts stay under $500???

Possible or impossible?

Thanks guys.

I think you would find that springs will have an effect on ride quality.

You need to decide what you care most about:

Lowest cost: Leave stock.

Comfortable ride: Leave stock, or replace shocks with Bilsteins on lower perch

Lower appearance: Replace shocks with Bilsteins on lower perch, or aftermarket springs.

NSXNASTY-

How much of a difference in "comfort" and how much cost for...."Replace shocks with Bilsteins on lower perch, or aftermarket springs"

Springs + Labor...approx..?

Thanks.

eg9 said:
Labor for installing springs/shocks is about the same, regardless of whether you're using OE or aftermarket springs and/or shocks -- the procedure is pretty similar. Possibly more for aftermarket coil-over setups (TEIN, Comptech, etc).

Another factor to consider: is "adjustability" over a range of usage patterns (track roadcourse, drag race, mountain drive, street cruise, hot date) something you need/want ?? Depending on which/how many control variables you want to manipulate (stiffness, ride height, rebound, etc), the cost can vary as well.

eg9 said:
NSXNASTY-

I hope that's a typo, not an insult... :(

eg9 said:
How much of a difference in "comfort" and how much cost for...."Replace shocks with Bilsteins on lower perch, or aftermarket springs"

Bilsteins cost $500-600 for a set (and come with a lifetime warranty). Springs generally cost about half that. As Manuel pointed out, the labor is about the same either way; figure 2-3 hours.

Manuel mentioned adjustability, but I don't think that's relevant for any of your needs. Bilsteins offer the lowering perch but are not adjustable; Bilsteins also offer very good ride quality. Koni shocks are adjustable, but I don't think (?) they offer a lowering perch, which is why you're getting them; also, my experience is that even on the softest setting, the ride quality on Konis is not as good as that of the Bilsteins.

Since your car is brand new, you might be able to get some decent money if you wanted to sell your stock shocks; I'm just guessing here but you might get anywhere from $250 to $500 for them. Unlike the shocks, I don't think you'd get much for your stock springs; I say that because shocks wear out and replacements are generally in demand.

Leaving the car stock costs $0 parts plus $0 labor. ;)

Opps... sorry about that... meant to write NSXTACY..

I might just leave it as is... Don't get me wrong, I still think it is beautiful as is but I get picky sometimes. I was just looking for an inexpensive and easy to do mod for cosmetic reasons but I understand that one usually has to give up somthing in order to recieve something... I'll be contemplating this.

Thanks to all...

EG

and quick question
how long does the stock shocks last..
and what is the difference you can feel between a new and old one?

BostonNSX said:
and quick question
how long does the stock shocks last..
and what is the difference you can feel between a new and old one?

All I can tell you is about my case. A couple of years ago, I felt that my '91 NSX, after ~11 years and 52K total miles including ~9K actual track miles, just didn't feel like the handling was as precise as it was when it was new. I can't explain it other than to say that an NSX ought to handle like a slot car, like you can point it at a dime on the ground and hit it 10 times out of 10.

IMNSHO the Bilstein shocks with stock springs are your clear best bet with the exception of cost. You budget barely covers the spring option but it would not meet your stated goals.

A perfectly plausible option not mentioned, is to lower the perches on the stock strut/shock. This can be done by the right person but may not be cost effective when labor is considered. All of these options reduce available suspension travel and increase the likelihood of hitting the bump stops at times, so if roads are rough in your area that my be a minor factor as well. Stiff shocks solve that but are contrary to your goals.

I hadn't, either. Sounds like some sort of custom fabrication might be involved... hence the "right person"...?

The right person with the right tools. The existing perch can be slid off (as when installing Konis) then the welds on which they sit are removed and new lower ones welded on. Common practice for budget mods on McPherson struts, at least in "the old days". Of course, if we went to that much trouble we slid an aluminum threaded collar over the strut for low cost height adjustment. I guess you could do that here as well but then the stock perch needs to be modified or replaced because it won't fit over the collar, or you need to go with different springs… Pretty soon it’s more sensible to by something ready to go. But in this case a buddy with modest tools and skill could do the basic change on the cheap.

i'd honstly say, if you're going to lower the car do it right otherwise you're going to regret it. i've tried many many combos on my vehicles, i went with coilovers + stock strut (very bouncy, used to hurt my back), coilovers + a koni yellow (quite bouncy, not as bad as the previous), i've done H&R with koni yellow (bounciness was kept to a minimum), and now i have a tein full coilover system.

All i have to say is the teins are AMAZING!!! the ride quality is perfect, not bouncy at all. i can adjust the settings and change dampening whenever i want. i can change the ride height. it's just awesome, i wouldn't go for anything else. in my experience if you go cheap you're not going to get very good ride quality. and for the price of a combo (ie. coilovers + strut) you're better of forking out an extra $100-$200 to get a full coilover system such as TEIN. but that's just imho.

As sjs mentions, the Bilstein/lower perch stock spring would reach your goal performance wise, but a little over the edge $$ wise.

The Eibach's should be about $300 and I think $250 should get them installed for you, maybe less. So if you want to lower the car an inch and stay around $500 the Eibachs will do it.

Your shocks are brand new on a 2003, so I would use them for sure. With this setup you will have no ride quality issues. kpond hits the nail on the head:)

HTH,
LarryB

TEIN fully adjustable

Are there TEINs for the nsx that will let you control the settings from inside the car electronically?

i remember inquiring about this a while back and someone told me that it won't fit in the nsx.

anyone know?

Re: TEIN fully adjustable

jbum said:
Are there TEINs for the nsx that will let you control the settings from inside the car electronically?

i remember inquiring about this a while back and someone told me that it won't fit in the nsx.

anyone know?

You're right the electronic bits won't fit on the NSX.

renny said:

All i have to say is the teins are AMAZING!!! the ride quality is perfect, not bouncy at all. i can adjust the settings and change dampening whenever i want. i can change the ride height. it's just awesome, i wouldn't go for anything else. in my experience if you go cheap you're not going to get very good ride quality. and for the price of a combo (ie. coilovers + strut) you're better of forking out an extra $100-$200 to get a full coilover system such as TEIN. but that's just imho.

I would agree with renny. I also have the Teins on my car and love them. It' the only way to tune the cars height and ride to your liking. If your going to get the best and purchase a NSX, spend a few extra bucks and go for the coilovers. You won't regret it.

Back