• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Glass hatch gas strut removal

My engine glass gas struts are weak, made worse by the cold weather (hopefully on the way). I've got some SOS replacements, but I'm having trouble removing the OE struts. I planned on just removing the lower bracket and then upper ball, leaving the OE struts and upper and lower attachments all connected (since SOS comes with new hardware for each end). However, the upper OE ball joints are not coming out of the glass frame easily. I fear continuing to use an open 12 mm box wrench on them will round the shoulders. Can the top ball of the OE strut be popped off the ball joint so that I can get a 6-point socket on it instead of the box wrench?

Yeah I had some problems using an open wrench on those bolts, but they eventually came off. Everything I've read said it's a pain to pop the ball out so don't bother. Do you have a flare nut wrench?

My engine glass gas struts are weak, made worse by the cold weather (hopefully on the way). I've got some SOS replacements, but I'm having trouble removing the OE struts. I planned on just removing the lower bracket and then upper ball, leaving the OE struts and upper and lower attachments all connected (since SOS comes with new hardware for each end). However, the upper OE ball joints are not coming out of the glass frame easily. I fear continuing to use an open 12 mm box wrench on them will round the shoulders. Can the top ball of the OE strut be popped off the ball joint so that I can get a 6-point socket on it instead of the box wrench?
The balls can be popped out by using two 90-degree picks, but it's very, very difficult. Most people either remove the hatch glass completely, or prop it with a wooden stick and replace the entire strut assembly one at a time.

Thanks for the suggestions. I bought a 12 mm flare wrench, but it was too bulky to fit around the ball. In the end leaving it for the day to soak in Aerokroil while I went to work was the magic ticket. The balls came right out and I'm rocking the new struts! Small things coming together for NSXPO 23....

Back