• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

K&N intake V.S. Stock air intake?

I've seen some dyno prove that K&N really pumps out a few hp for NSX, and I could feel vtec kicks in stronger after I installed it, but I also felt that I lost some low end torque and my car was actually slower overall. Now I'm thinking putting back the stock airintake..

Check Dali Racing's website to see if they have info on intakes. My recollection was that for NA engines with zero-to-minor mods (e.g., header/exhaust), the aftermarket intakes didn't yield any meaningful benefit and many were worse than stock as measured on a chassis dyno.

--twc

The difference from an intake on a mostly stock NSX is smaller than the margin of error inherent in dynoing the car.

OK,

So getting that cold air intake with the K&N filter to augment my aftermarket exhaust would make little to any difference?! Why bother spending the money; I might as well just get dali-sway bars instead. There must be some improvements with the intake. Any info here????

I also have heard that the K&N Cone intake nets near zero horsepower. The one advantage to the K&N is the SOUND!!! It sounds GREAT!! It really makes the car growl, and you get much more of the induction noise than with the stock exhaust. I am not sure but I think RM's Cold air intake actually adds a little Power..although I couldnt feel any. As far as power delivery goes it feels roughly the same, but I think I will not notice near as much power loss during the summer due to the Cold air ducting that goes into the driver side intake.

I guess I'll have to see what happens when the temperature out here rises above 50.

Originally posted by BladesNSX:
OK,

So getting that cold air intake with the K&N filter to augment my aftermarket exhaust would make little to any difference?! Why bother spending the money; I might as well just get dali-sway bars instead. There must be some improvements with the intake. Any info here????

As far as we could tell on the DynoJet, intakes DO NOT make any increase in HP that you could possibly feel and if they did make one that you could measure, it was minimal at best and could have been normal variance in the operation of the dyno machine. I am going to test ALL the major intakes on the market next month:

Gruppe M MONGO Intake
RM Intake
K&N OEM replacement
Dali MonsterFilter
Comptech CF Kit
K&N cold air kit intake system (new from K&N)

I expect there to be no difference between these when installed on a stock NSX on the dyno, however, just in case, I am also going to run them all on a car with headers and exhaust installed to see if they do anything then. In order to stop all of the "you're biased as you are a vendor" BS before it starts, Mark Basch is going to do all the installations and the Dyno's will be done at the local dyno shop in PHX. [Technodyne] All I am going to do is supply the parts and collect the Dyno sheets and post the info on the website.

Cold air kits will most likely do nothing noticeable (as in seat of the pants noticable) as the air temp in the engine compartment WHEN DRIVING is only a few degrees hotter than ambient. In order to simulate the normal air circulation when driving, we are going to open the hatch and blow a leaf blower at the drivers side air vent.

It is my opinion that what everyone feels as "more HP" from intake installations [like NSEX reported] is the added sound. If it is louder it is faster - right? I doubt that anyone on this list could tell the difference between a peak gain of 5HP in their cars, (a 1.8% gain) and if an intake does that much I'll be totoally amazed.

JMO

------------------
need more info? private me @

[email protected]

Mark Johnson, CEO of Custodial Services @ Dali Racing, a Not For Profit Company.

Just one thing to consider... most leaf blowers put their exhaust into the airstream so that might negate any possible benefits.

But I really don't think you can get any real-world useful "ram air" effect with the NSX side vents since they do not stick out into the airstream to begin with.

I have the comptech CF intake and I could feel a minor improvement. It seems like its more peppy and eager to go through the revs. Also it sounds mean too! I just need to get the CF top (cosmetic reasons only).

Back