• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Keeping doctors/NSX in NV

Still weighing my options... will be back in 4 days though. See you all soon!:indecisiveness:

Sounds like we need to have a virtual C&C meet for the good o' days vegas crew.

We miss you all

IMG_3292crop.jpg

IMG_0834sm.jpg

NSXLakeMead.jpg

DSC04221edit.jpg

DSC05498c.jpg

Nice photos of old days, Lance

- - - Updated - - -

No love for the engineers who left eh? :smile:

I think the people that control Prime removed engineers under my first post. They didn't know why anyone would want more engineers. I let them know it only has to do with you, not engineers. We do miss you, come home.

Lance

I'm a 60+ Laid-off engineer (with 3 years of pre-med) trying to relocate to Vegas. Some of you may remember me... I was crushed by the economy several weeks before Vegas NSXPO... as a result, I was extremely disappointed and not able to attend. I'm back on my feet (barely), currently in L.A., I've been able to hang onto my NSX (it's in storage $$$), and I just need to get to Vegas, retire, and get the NSX back on the road. Looking forward to seeing some ol' acquaintances.

Steve,
Glad to hear you're back on your feet. Good to hear you still have that awesome yellow sc'd car. Good luck in Vegas!
Perry

Hmmm, maybe I need to re-consider NV. Grew up in the PacNW, lived in southern US for 15yrs (Navy), came home for 4 seasons. Starting to miss the sun (Phoenix) though the home prices there are starting to go out of sight again. Maybe Las Vegas..... problem is, I work in Emer Dept & know only too well the forthcoming tidal wave of the 'newly insured'. NO wonder we are all looking at retirement.

Interesting article. We just nabbed a great doc from Las Vegas. He is an impressive guy and is a massive asset to our practice & community. I didn't want to pull him away from another practice, but he really wanted to leave Vegas. From what he was explaining, it seems the fundamental make-up within the community was a major factor in his decision to exit. He enjoyed his partners in practice, had absolutely nothing negative to say about them, and enjoyed the work volume & type. So I think there are other factors pushing talent out of the community in NV.

Interesting article. We just nabbed a great doc from Las Vegas. He is an impressive guy and is a massive asset to our practice & community. I didn't want to pull him away from another practice, but he really wanted to leave Vegas. From what he was explaining, it seems the fundamental make-up within the community was a major factor in his decision to exit. He enjoyed his partners in practice, had absolutely nothing negative to say about them, and enjoyed the work volume & type. So I think there are other factors pushing talent out of the community in NV.

I see this too often, unfortunately. I am employed at government entity : pay is pretty bad (considering) though the benefits are what keep me here. I've been in practice since 2000 & have seen a pretty fundamental shift in the 'business of medicine' : even at our facility I routinely have to fight (literally) with 'egg-heads' (my term for non-clinical people who want to argue medical economics with me) to get some of the most basic care met. Worst are the UM (utilization management) nurses who look in a big book & try to tell me that their book doesn't think my patient is sick enough to warrant admission from the Emer Dept. I'm a former nurse, so this is even more annoying. Of course there is daily outrage over costs of healthcare in the US, BUT I will tell you that physicians are not driving most of it. Unrealistic expectations (patients), unrealistic financial goals (institution), ready access to care (everybody) all add in. Problem is, government (politicians) want an easy answer & as you probably know, physicians are prime target. So, unlike the past, physicians no longer stay put in an area for their entire career : indeed, most of us get poached or drawn away just as you mention. Unfortunately, for us, there never really is the "greener grass" anymore.

Sad to hear that Las Vegas had adopted this mentality : as the population grows, the shortage will only become more acute & inevitably you will see a preponderance of care being rendered by mid-levels, rather than physicians, which is NOT the final solution either

Back