• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Kenwood DNX5120 install help please.

I know several of you guys here have installed the Kenwood DNX-5120. I'm finally ready to install mine and could use some help from the guys who have done it before. I have the SOS install bracket and the SOS wire harness and i will simply be wiring it to a set of aftermarket door speakers through the wires already in the door.

The speakers i have all figured out but the other set of wires i'm a little confused on.

Here's what i think i know, please confirm:

SOS harness to Kenwood harness

12 Volt Ignition/switched (red) to Ignition wire (red)
12 Volt Battery/constant (yellow) to 12 Volt battery/constant (yellow)

Heres what i'm pretty sure about:
Illumination/dimmer (orange) to Dimmer control wire (orange/white)
Chasis Ground (black) to Ground wire (black)? Or do i actually ground the radios black wire to a metal screw?

Power Antenna (blue) to motor antenna control wire (blue)? Will this put the antenna down when i'm not listening to am/fm radio (ipod/cd)?

Heres what im confused on:
Where do i connect the parking brake wire from the radio harness? I would like to be able to use all radio functions while not in park, whats the trick here if there is one?
Reverse sensor wire from the radio, i have no camera at the moment so do i just leave this wire alone until i add a camera later?
Steering remote wire from radio? Not used?
Mute (brown) wire from the radio? Again, not used?
Power control wire from the radio unit (blue/white)? Does this connect to the "remote turn on" (blue/white) wire from the SOS harness or since im not using an amp do i do nothing with these wires?

One last question about wiring. I assume since i am only using the door speakers that i should wire them to the front speaker wires from the radio harness and then set up the radio accordingly?

Sorry for all of the questions, im sure some of them seem stupid but i read up on all of this many months ago when i bought all of this stuff and now that im finally ready to install it all i have forgotten everything and dont want to make any mistakes and to get it all done right the first time.

Any tips on installing the SOS mounting bracket are also appreciated.

Thanks
Chris

so you are NOT using the bose speakers? just power from the radio? everything you typed is right.

blu/blu
org to org/wht
blk/blk

ground the parking brake wire with the black. it will defeat the function and unlock everything.

so you are NOT using the bose speakers? just power from the radio? everything you typed is right.

blu/blu
org to org/wht
blk/blk

ground the parking brake wire with the black. it will defeat the function and unlock everything.

No i am not using the bose speakers and just power from the radio for the time being.

So do i just twist the black and Parking brake wire together and connect them to the black wire on the SOS harness or do i need to ground them to an actual screw or something?

As for the antenna wire, will it stay down when a cd or ipod is connected or will it always been up when the head unit is powered on?

No i am not using the bose speakers and just power from the radio for the time being.

So do i just twist the black and Parking brake wire together and connect them to the black wire on the SOS harness or do i need to ground them to an actual screw or something?

As for the antenna wire, will it stay down when a cd or ipod is connected or will it always been up when the head unit is powered on?

the ground doesnt matter. just use the black in the harness.

if you are using the bose system you will have to use the blue/white wire to the blue wire in the harness. it goes to the amps AND the antenna from there. this means unless you run a separate wire back to the antenna it WILL be up any time the radio is on. im seriously gonna have to snap some pics later and get someone to make a sticky for the antenna thing.

did you get the harness with the rca ends or just straight wires into the car?

the ground doesnt matter. just use the black in the harness.

if you are using the bose system you will have to use the blue/white wire to the blue wire in the harness. it goes to the amps AND the antenna from there. this means unless you run a separate wire back to the antenna it WILL be up any time the radio is on. im seriously gonna have to snap some pics later and get someone to make a sticky for the antenna thing.

did you get the harness with the rca ends or just straight wires into the car?

Just the straight wires. I am not using any of the bose system.

So are you saying that if i am not using any of the bose system then i can just connect blue to blue and the antenna should function properly? I rarely ever listen to am/fm radio and dont want that giant thing up all the time.

Back