• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Keyless entry autolocking - Can I disable?

On the 1991 NSX I just bought, the car self-locks a few seconds after hitting the remote keyless entry even if I open the passenger door. I'm worried that I'll be putting something in the passenger side and then lock my keys in. Is there a way to disable the auto-locking feature but still have the keyless remote work for locking and unlocking the car?

You can jump the driver and passenger door triggers at the Security Unit.

It will do the trick nicely because it thinks the driver door has been opened when you open the passenger door.

The problem, of course, is that the system thinks the driver door is open and will chime away (key in, engine off) and both courtesy lights will be on. You can solve half the light issue problem with the use of a diode.

Maybe we can get Brian to fab up a device to generate a quick pulse to the driver door trigger...that will fix the problem.

Drew
/I was working on the problem, but I got married and had kids. Done Deal.

I am not sure how this is a problem if the car is locked and you unlock with the keyless your keys are outside of the car so I don't see how you could get locked out.

I'm just worried I'll toss my coat into the passenger seat and drop my keys with it. Not a common occurrence, but for the one time it happens, it's a real hassle.

I was hoping there was a simple way to disable it built into the system like there is on my Maxima (inserting the key into the driver's door and unlocking it twice in a row). Jumping the door triggers might be more trouble than it's worth, but it's a good idea.

Just to clarify - the autolock feature will lock the car if you unlock it with the remote and the DRIVER DOOR isn't opened within about ten seconds. The idea being, if you accidentally unlock it without realizing it, and walk away, the car stays locked. So if you don't want it to autolock, open the driver door first.

I frequently would unlock the car for my girlfriend and she would get in - but by the time I walked around the car it would lock me out. Not a big problem but it was annoying.

Its a moot point for me now, as the keyless entry system no longer works on my car. :(

I think the autolock or security system can go bad too. Sometimes if I click the unlock from the remote or even from the door switch, the system will unlock and then relock itself almost immediately. It's like a game of cat and mouse which can really suck if you need to get in or out of the car when it happens.

Back