• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Kill Count

In real world driving an M3 should be faster off the line then a 5-speed NSX because of the M3's fatter tourqe curve. Just like in the real world a S2000 will never get a 0-60 of 5.4 sec (or whatever it does I'm not quite sure), Unless you beat the crap out of it which most of us will not do off the line. But with fairly equal cars most of it is down to the driver, On the track a sports-sedan with a real good driver will blow away a sports car with a average driver even though if you look at the numbers in magazines it would not seem possible.

In real world driving an M3 should be faster off the line then a 5-speed NSX because of the M3's fatter tourqe curve

Wrong. What matters to acceleration is not just torque, but TORQUE AT THE WHEELS, which is engine torque multiplied by the gearing. Even though the NSX torque figure isn't that high, it is offset by the fact that the NSX has a flat torque curve so that there's power WAY up to the 8000 rpm redline, whereas most other cars need to shift before that point. Once the M3 has to shift (at lower revs), its torque at the wheels drops because of the gearing disadvantage.

That, along with the horsepower advantage, is why the NSX is, indeed, faster than the M3 off the line.

I was talking about real world 0-60, not what the magazine editors do. Do you rev your engine to 7000rpm or so and dump the clutch like they do to get those numbers, probably not. So now rev both engines to a grand or two which is typical for street light racing and see which one has the advantage.

Edo, I wouldn't worry too much about the NSX vs. M3 issues. I have found that the quality of the DRIVER makes the MOST difference in who will win or lose those battles. Also, it is hard to know if your M3 friend really had his/her foot in it all the way or if they were 1 more ticket away from walking for 6 months so they held back just enough to give the cop a better target to shoot at.
smile.gif
Either way, unless you are in a controlled environment with as many variables held constant as you can, you really are not going to get very consistent results. Too many variables and too many ways for each of you to beat the other.

Frankly, I have outrun a number of people in my 1999 Miata Sport. 140hp, 2280lbs. Not a rocketship, but with the right launch strategy and exit vector from the line, and superior reaction times, I can take on some of the Mustangs and the like pretty easily.

------------------
Gordon G. Miller, III
Y2K NSX #51 Yellow/Black

Back