• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

KITT NSX ICE setup: Aventador Start Button, Focal, JL, Alpine, NAV-POD + iPad Mini

Ultimate Goal: Do no drill a single hole or damage the car in anyway but implement a state of the art dashboard setup that will rival any modern car and give the car concert quality sound. Mission impossible?

It's easy to hack up a car but for priceless examples like our NSX, we take extra strides to protect the car. We are not new to the audio world as both installers are ex-IASCA competitors in the PRO class and we've done many installs including 6 NSX's over the years. Each one is a unique example of what the owner demanded and their requirements.

For this latest NSX build, we set aside all OEM components for safe keeping and bought a spare dash and NAV-Pod w/ the custom bracket so no drilling is needed.

Parts from this build will include:

1) Apple Black 32GB iPad mini acting as NAVI, Movie, AUX source
2) OEM NAV-Pod
3) Custom bracket by LMR for NAV-Pod
4) Alpine DIN Source Unit
5) Focal Speakers
6) JL Audio 6W3 or 8W3 subwoofers
7) Liberal Dynamat
8) Lamborghini Aventador Start Button
9) Valentine 1 Radar System
10) LED Accent Lighting

For our past NSX builds, check out this thread:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...-NSX-with-Kenwood-Double-DIN-Police-Lights-V1

So for this current build the first order of the day is to build the mock sleeve for the iPad. We want this unit to dock from the right side of the car and into the NAV-Pod when in use but removeable as needed. The measurements show 8" width when in horizontal form which means our actual sleeve needs to be 10" wide to allocate room for the docking plug and edges. This means we need to modify the NAV-Pod and glue a frame in which to build. Stay tuned as we start the actual surgery.

The dash mock-up is also being done right now to decide how to layout the components. The OEM Ashtray will be gone and the entire dash will be re-built to house the source unit at a better viewing angle, V1, switches and the Aventador Push Button Start.

here's the parts ready to go:

- - - Updated - - -

Reserved Spot 1

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing this build come to life. I bet if this iPad setup turns out pretty trick, you'll drum up some more installs.

Good luck! I really hope this goes well. I look forward to seeing your progress.

Looking forward to it, though I would rather just have a nice GPS vs an iPad mini. The glare will most likely render an iPad useless, and there is no telling what happens if you have polarized sunglasses.

Only problem that you will run into is ambient temps above 95F will render the iPad useless.

Looking forward to it, though I would rather just have a nice GPS vs an iPad mini. The glare will most likely render an iPad useless, and there is no telling what happens if you have polarized sunglasses.

A few excellent points that I already have addressed:

a) The Nav Pod when re-built will have a small duck bill type lip to prevent glare (think base-ball cap) but not as extreme.

b) For me the NSX is my toy so I rarely drive it anywhere that I need NAV. I plan all my routes ahead of time on Google maps as the car is super low and would never venture off the beaten path in this car. So my main point to using the iPad is video and picture slideshows.

c) Any LCD screen would have issues with polarized sunglasses. My solution ~ just don't wear them :)

A few excellent points that I already have addressed:

c) Any LCD screen would have issues with polarized sunglasses. My solution ~ just don't wear them :)

No I don't think so. Only ips displays like the iPad. A normal LCD doesn't have that problem or at least not as bad.

Last edited:
Well I'm doing my initial balsa wood templates of how I want the dash to look since I realized the Aventador dash has a lot of shaping involved to get the unique look. A simple flat piece just won't cut it. I think this will take a lot of sanding and measuring to get all the angles right. Luckily my buddy has a real Aventador so I may have to go over there with a caliper to do some measurements.

Good news is I have receive pretty much all the parts in the mail. A few minor hiccups I'm still sorting out but will post some picture updates when I get a chance....these days I don't have much free time with 2 toddlers so the NSX is really a back seat project.

I still have the APR GTC wing my wifey gave me for Father's Day and I haven't even had time to start on that yet!

This project will have 3 parts I divided up

Part I: Custom the NSX NAV Pod to fit and sleeve the iPad mini so I can use it with the custom bracket

Part II: Build the custom dash with the source electronics and the Aventador Start Button

Part III: Install all the associated speakers, amps and related wiring (this is actually the easiest part so left it last)

Any updates?

Quite a bit of updates, car's center console is done for now with the new Kenwood double din unit. iPad mini is fully functional. We did some design changes and moved some of the electronics away from the dash to give it a cleaner appearance. Decided to use the coin try for certain items.

V1 display also got scratched from the dash location since it was decided at high speeds, we don't want the driver's eyes to be looking "down" at the shift knob area.

Overall sound is improved 10 folds and nothing was lacking in this new design. Glare is almost non-existent!

Will update with some photos when we get the car out in the sunlight ~ been busy lately....sorry

Back