• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Kumo Ecsta tires are the worst

Any of you guys use Kumo's? I just got the X a few weeks ago and it came with Kumo's. Not even driving aggressive I'm getting front end push in corners and rear wheel spin. When taking off TCS to peel out, you don't even hear much cause the tires are not sticky at all!!

Just wondering what you guys think. What would be good replacement tires? It's not good to have a performance car with non performance tires...

My car drifted with Kumho Ecsta Supra's. Now switching to Bridegestone Potenza.

I have the Kumho MX, and they are hardly in the "worst tire" category... In fact I loved them so much I had used 4 sets of them already. ( Track, old 17/17 setup, new 18/18 setup and put them on my daily driven accord.)

Now the Kumho ecsta 712 are not good for nsx use. I had them on my mom's C220 and they worked fine. (They are cheap). They are marginally ok for street driven cars.

Well can I ask what the temperature is outside while you were driving the car? If its anything below 40 degrees F.

I have the 712s, and granted they aren't the best, but they aren't as bad as Some crappy H-Rated tires that I've seen some install on NSXs.

In general, The best thing for those covered in real cold winters is to look for All-Season, or just stick with them.

I've tried Eagles on my M3, and they do the same thing still just due to the temps.

I just looked and they are the Kumho Ecsta Supra's like Jin1976 used.

Temp is probally 55-60 degrees F.

kumho ecsta supra 712 is definitely crappy tire. It stunk even on my lowly Sentra and wore out in 20k miles. For similar price, Yoko ES100 is a much better buy.

Kumho Ecsta SPT may be a good choice.

m3power222 said:
I just looked and they are the Kumho Ecsta Supra's like Jin1976 used..

I too had these tires and I concur; they're shit :frown:

Dave Hardy said:
Saying Kumho Ecstas are the worst is a useless statement. That tells us nothing. You have to tell what model. The Kumho Ecsta V710 happens to be the best DOT approved tire you can get. The Kumho Ecsta 711 is one of the worst.
Good response....I was about to say the same thing.
txtony said:
See test of performance tires in Car and Driver Dec 2005 issue. Kumho Ecsta MX was last out of 11 tested.
Well this is a nice post however how about some personal experience if you don't have any leave it alone....
I just bought these tires and am also on my 4th set. They are a great street tire in warm temperatures they do alright at autocross also.(Ecsta MX's that is.)

Kumhos are good cheap tires, I paid $32 a tire back in the day for my civic, 205/15/50 (Kumho Ecsta 711)

I would look into some Nitto NT 555 / Im loving mine, they grip really well, also Falken Azenis RT-615 are sick.

I like Toyo's. Great tire for the money. I'm running the new T1R's right now.

Kumho tires aren't consistently better or worse than any other manufacturer's. That's because almost every tire manufacturer makes a wide variety of tires - everything from super-sticky track tires, to top-of-the-line street tires with excellent performance, to budget performance tires with decent performance at a bargain price, to all-season tires that will do okay in all weather conditions, etc. And there is no single manufacturer that has the best product offering (for the money) in every one of these segments. Different manufacturers are better at different things.

Kumho applies the "Ecsta" name to a lot of its products (just as Bridgestone does with the "Potenza" name, Michelin with "Pilot", etc). It really doesn't distinguish one tire from another. But we can look at each of its offerings and see how they compare with others on the market.

The Kumho track tires - the Kumho Ecsta V700, the Kumho Ecsta V710, and the Kumho V700 Victoracer - are all highly regarded, although I wouldn't claim that any one tire in this segment is the "best you can get". The track tire segment is very competitive, and word gets around quickly if one tire is significantly worse (or better) than the... er... competition. ;)

The Kumho Ecsta MX is Kumho's top-of-the-line street tire. It's a good street tire on dry pavement and wet pavement. But it's not as good as the very best top-of-the-line street tires from other brands, such as the Goodyear F1 GS-D3 or the Bridgestone Potenza S-03. What it offers is good performance at a bargain price, because it's significantly less expensive than the very best street tires out there. This is exactly the same situation as Toyo with its T1-R top-of-the-line street tire; it's clearly not as good as the best out there, but if you're willing to sacrifice some performance for a lower price, it might be a good choice for you.

If you're interested in reading more about how various top-of-the-line street tires compare with each other, check out the current (December) Car and Driver, which txtony mentioned and which contains a side-by-side test of eleven such tires. The Goodyear was ranked first. The Kumho MX was ranked dead last. The Toyo was ranked eighth, but they really didn't like it and attributed its better-than-last-place showing primarily to its low price. Keep in mind that none of these tires are BAD tires; it's just that when you try them side by side, it's easier see just how they differ, and how one is clearly better than another. This explains why someone might be happy with the MX or the T1-R, without realizing that another tire like the Goodyear could perform significantly better.

The "budget performance tire" segment has seen quite a lot of activity in the past few years among most of the manufacturers. In 2002, Yokohama introduced their ES100 tire, and it was a big leap in performance over others in this bargain price category. To give an idea how much of a leap, the Tire Rack conducted a side-by-side comparison test that included the ES100 and the Kumho Ecsta Supra 712, and the ES100 beat the 712 in all 23 out of 23 characteristics tested. This sent designers at Kumho, Dunlop, and other manufacturers back to the drawing board, to develop new tires that could compete with the ES100. It is just within the past year that these new tires have started hitting the market. The Kumho Ecsta SPT is now much more competitive in this segment than its 712 predecessor. In another Tire Rack comparison test, the SPT was tested alongside the ES100. The SPT was significantly superior on wet pavement (which was already a strong attribute of the ES100), while the two tires were similar on dry pavement, with an ever-so-slight advantage to the ES100 in important categories like handling and lap times.

As for the Kumho Ecsta 711... let's just say that most manufacturers also make tires that are cheap and crappy, and this tire is less expensive (and lower in price) than the no-longer-competitive 712.

Another tire that is worth mentioning is the Kumho Ecsta ASX, which is their all-season tire. It is competitive with the best all-season tires on the market in performance, and comes at a bargain price. I often recommend it for those who need an all-season tire, i.e. a single tire to use year-round, in moderate winter conditions as well as summer conditions. Still better, though, for those who drive in winter weather, is to have a separate set of winter tires (a second set of wheels will add convenience), which will give your car superior performance to all-season tires in the winter, and will let you use summer tires for superior performance to all-season tires the rest of the year.

As for suitability for the NSX, it all comes down to your personal preference, and particularly your willingness to trade off performance for a lower purchase price on your tires. If you're looking for the very best performance from a street tire, then get one of the very best street tires out there, like the Goodyear F1 GS-D3 (an attractive price is a bonus), the Bridgestone S-03, or one of the OEM tires (Yokohama A022H or Bridgestone RE010 for the '91-01 NSX, Bridgestone RE040 for the '02-05). Another option is the Falken Azenis RT-615, which is intended to fall in between a top street tire and an R compound track tire, although keep in mind that means rapid treadwear and so-so wet traction along with its great dry traction.

If you are willing to accept some degradation in performance for a lower tire price, then the Kumho Ecsta MX or the Toyo T1-R might fit your needs; if you're willing to go even further in this direction, then the Kumho Ecsta SPT or the Yokohama ES100 might be suitable. However, keep in mind that you will be sacrificing performance, including capabilities in cornering, acceleration, and braking, as well as that "crispness" in handling that the NSX is capable of (and which the OEM tires do so well). If you bought your NSX for its handling and performance, and you really want to maximize it, then one of the tires mentioned in the previous paragraph will be more suitable... even more so if you take your car to the track or autocross, and/or if you modify your car. Tires are perhaps the most important performance variable of any part of the car, and if you're spending money on performance modifications, simultaneously trying to save money on tires by degrading performance won't make a lot of sense.

To give you an idea of how all of the above-mentioned tires compare in price, here are prices (from the Tire Rack, except where indicated) for the 245/40-17 size (stock '94-01 NSX rear size) (again, except where indicated), organized by segment:

Track tires:
Kumho Ecsta V700 $161
Kumho Ecsta V710 $182 (for 245/45-17)
Kumho V700 Victoracer $164 (for 255/40-17)

Best top-of-the-line street tires:
Goodyear F1 GS-D3 $196
Bridgestone Potenza S-03 $224
Yokohama A022H $246
Bridgestone Potenza RE010 $227
Falken Azenis RT-615 $152 (for 255/40-17, from Vulcan)

"Value" top-of-the-line street tires:
Kumho Ecsta MX $128
Toyo T1-R $142 (from onlinetires.com)

Budget performance tires:
Kumho Ecsta SPT $100
Yokohama AVS ES100 $113
Kumho Ecsta Supra 712 $95

All-season tires:
Kumho Ecsta ASX $99

NSXTASY, well said...

It's not worth having a car like this and having low/budget tires. But this is probally all dependant on driving style.

Myself I drive pretty aggressive so need to get tires to fit that style.

I used the Supra 712's on my Omni for a while. They were amazing at the drag strip (2.0 60ft's almost bald) autocross, and on the street. But, they were a nightmare in the rain. Almost as bad as Nitto's 555R.

Definitely worth the money.

NSX with cheap tires just doesn't make sense to me. You can't enjoy the limits of the NSX, nor is it safe to do it.

Personally for aggressive street use(in a NSX) your best choices are Bridestone Potenza S03's, Michelin PS2's or Goodyear GSD3's.

my 2 cents.

Boost Lee said:
I used the Supra 712's on my Omni for a while. They were amazing at the drag strip (2.0 60ft's almost bald) autocross, and on the street. But, they were a nightmare in the rain. Almost as bad as Nitto's 555R.

Definitely worth the money.

I've found that the 712's are great in the rain, and that's the primary reason why I have them on my NSX. I've had all of the best tires on my car over the past 50,000 miles, and when it was my daily driver the 712's did just fine. In South Florida the roads are straight and congested, so an ultra high performance tire isn't all that necessary. Furthermore, with all the rainfall here the past year (too many hurricaines :mad: ) I prefer a tire that handles better in the rain. However, now that my NSX is mostly a weekend driver, I'm probably going to go back to the S0-3's. :smile:

Well said NSXLuvr, tyres are the only thing keeping you on the road remember! Spend as much as you can.

Currently have the Ecsta V710s (medium compound). Fronts are gone after 6,000 of just normal road driving :D God knows what the soft compound is like...

-Rob

I claim that the Ecsta V710 is the best you can get based on the fact that the majority of winners at this year's SCCA Solo Nationals were on the tire. Hoosier had a good assortment of winners as well, though a lot of them were sponsored drivers on free tires. Avon, Hancook, and a few others also had very slight representation in the trophies, but Kumho was far and away the winner.

m3power222 said:
Just wondering what you guys think. What would be good replacement tires? It's not good to have a performance car with non performance tires...
I had the 712's on my first car when I got it. Hated them:mad: Yoko ES 100 have been a good inexpensive all around tire for me. I like the Kumho MX for a dry weather tire, the reason it was last in the Car and Driver test was wet traction, and I agree it isn't very good in the wet.

m3power222, call the Jeff @ America's Tire @ 503-614-9722 in Beaverton, they are offering a 10% discount for BMW ACA members. I just got a set Bridgestone SO-3's, 215-40-17/265-35-18" for $805 mounted! I have been too cheap to pony up for these tires in the past, best price I had found was $1100, but I love these tires! So far, the best all around tire I have tried, at this price I think I will always run them:biggrin:

Titaniumdave thanks for the info. I still have my BMW ACA membership so that would work out great.

I'm trying to wear the Kuhmo Supra's out, but they won't wear down!!!

m3power222 said:
I'm trying to wear the Kuhmo Supra's out, but they won't wear down!!!

I gave up and trashed them after the second time I spun at PIR, they still had tread, I had no more patience for a tire that didn't preform well in the wet or the dry IMO!

Life is to short for crappy tires:biggrin:

Back