• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

KW V3 install - Top hat advice needed

Need your advice on a question regarding the install of my new KW V3 coilovers.

My '02 NSX currently has the stock suspension on it and the car has very low miles (under 10k). I'm putting the coilovers on for more of a look than anything as I just want it a little lower to reduce the gap. The car won't be tracked at all.

So if I understand correctly, the KW V3 setup for the NSX does not come with any top hats.

So, my choices would be:
1. Take the OEM top hats off the current suspension
2. Buy a second complete set of OEM top hats
3. Buy an upgraded set of top hats such as the iLIFT ones

What are your thoughts? I really want to ensure that I don't have any noise/squeaking coming from the new KW's. I don't have any squeaking going on right now. Would I be safe to use the stock top hats? Or for ease of install, should I just purchase a new set anyways?

The iLIFT top hats come with the poly bushings, and I've heard that they are less prone to squeaking and breaking down over time like rubber ones do. Any truth to that?

Your thoughts are appreciated!

Thanks.

Depends on the use of your car. I don't think you could go wrong with your OEM top hats (I'm using original 150K+ rubber bushings in mine and they looked and are performing fine with no noise), but if yours are in bad condition, or if you track your car; the iLift aluminum top hats and poly bushings would be a great option, or just get the iLift poly bushings for your OEM top hats. I don't think any of these options will make noise.

I just recently had Shad at Driving Ambition install KWs with new OEM top mounts, bushings, collars and washers. No noise/squeaking anywhere after install. Just an FYI...If you plan on DIYing, Shad did state it was a PITA to get the newer bushings on.

I used old OEM top hats sitting around at a friend's house. No issues, although when I install an upgrade to iLIFT I do plan on upgrading top hats at the same time.

Get the iLift top hats and be done with it, I had the OEM top hats and it squeaked a bit when cold with the iLift it doesnt. I also bought new OEM top hats before the iLift product was out for when I installed my KW's

Get the iLift top hats and be done with it, I had the OEM top hats and it squeaked a bit when cold with the iLift it doesnt. I also bought new OEM top hats before the iLift product was out for when I installed my KW's

This was along the lines of what I was thinking because if you have the money to do KW3s (which as I've been told that it's a bit overkill for just a "street car" setup) and NOT track you car; then...just get the iLift.:tongue: I went OEM because I didn't know that iLift was an option. :frown:

The KW V3's might be a bit of overkill when it comes to my car since it's just a street car and won't see the track at all. However, the reviews of the ride on the V3's just sold me on them regardless of the price. Based on what you guys have said and other things that I've read, I went ahead and ordered the iLIFT complete mount set. Daniel and Steve over at iLIFT were very helpful with the questions that I had and I appreciated their customer service!

Life is short. Buy the best coilovers you can afford. If you value your time in the car you want your experience to be awesome. Proper dampers make your experience so much better.

I've gone thru various setups. For your intended purpose, the OEM top hats are really quite fine. They do not squeak.

I upgraded to pillowball mounts for different reasons and my suspension is a bit more complex. I had fun on the lathe this week but working on a small manual lathe takes forever. Strangely therapeutic though :)

IMG_20150723_232022_zpsa31xic9t.jpg

Back