• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

LA Traffic Daily Commute - How do you deal with it? I've got a solution!

I am so sick of this LA traffic commute to work and home every day. I am seriously thinking of putting a fake carpool buddy in my car to offset some of this time in traffic. What is the chance that police can tell if it is fake or not? I don’t think cops will ever going to tell if I have a realistic human looking mannequin.

I have also tried Waze to navigate through traffic but it tells me to go through too many small streets, that at the end of the drive home, it already drains me out and it is mentally tiring after a long day of work. Not worth the 5 minutes of time saving.

A lot of times, I just go to a nearby gym and work out till traffic dies or go to a foot massage place before driving home. But sometimes, I just want to get home earlier.

I found online that people have some very interesting idea:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ummy-passengers-just-cruise-carpool-lane.html

Any other ideas? Fake carpool buddy?

Easy. I leave earlier and got one of these.

$1000 down (net), $87/month, 3yr lease, 10k per year. About $1/day in electricity

(for others... please don't ask me questions. I've answered at least a hundred. Do a search if interested. Only available in CA and I think OR)

11081461_10152804777011588_6823912761031072109_n.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Regan, that is really getting me thinking now. However, I would get a 500e in a heart beat if my company didn't provide me with a truck to drive. I might propose this idea to my boss and see if they bite. Realistically, it will save them money.

I get up at around 5 every morning already. Morning commute is not as bad but going home is a nightmare.

Someone should start a new company where you can carpool with people through a mobile APP, something like an Uber carpooler. *profit

I have a couple of questions.:biggrin:

$1000 down (net), $87/month, 3yr lease, 10k per year. About $1/day in electricity

(for others... please don't ask me questions. I've answered at least a hundred. Do a search if interested. Only available in CA and I think OR)

Nice score, Regan! Stock is near zero now and the dealers have increased prices. When did you pick it up?

EDIT: Haha, sorry Regan, I just asked you a question about it! :wink:

--Conrad

Last edited:
Is getting a new job closer to home out of the question? Or buying a home closer to your job?

My days of commuting and fighting traffic are finally over. I now work at a City just 10 minutes away by street.

I wouldn't risk the fake person in the car.

I have no solution but the thing with fake car pool buddy is, you will get caught eventually. If you can handle the fine, go for it.

Traveling at speed in the HOV lane and I'd say 90% of the time you'll be good. It's when traffic slows in the HOV lane(as it invariably will due to the influx of fake car pool dolls being used) and the cop drives passed you on the shoulder slowly that he/she will notice your little ruse. Good luck trying to explain your way out of it. Mannequin sales....sex doll......equalizing the weight in your finely tuned sports car.....best not to say anything and accept your ticket. You could always try a motorcycle if they are allowed in the HOV lane. Good luck.

That must suck. I timed my commute the other day. Made it in less than 2minutes. My car doesn't even have time to warm up. :biggrin:

I've thought about starting a carpool for strippers. Whats better than a car full of strippers at 2:00 am. :wink:
Someone should start a new company where you can carpool with people through a mobile APP, something like an Uber carpooler. *profit

HAHA! I hate you guys. Conrad I picked it up at Kearny Mesa but they weren't the cheapest. It's a little too late now. Most of my friends who were slow on the bandwagon are experiencing higher cost deals due to the low inventory and higher demand.

Hugo - Get an EV. single person Carpool lane access is free and still allowed. Not sure how long that program will last though.

Here is my solution

I get up at around 5 every morning....

I heard that line from Nacho Libre!

Here is my solution since 09 and I am still alive. w/ a surf rack in the back, I go everywhere and park anywhere along PCH.
...but I have to admit I feel close to God every time I ride:eek:. One day when I grow up, I'll get a real bike.:cool:

Yes, I do carry/deliver parts on it:wink:...its de Best...until?

Last edited:
These are all great ideas. I am leaning towards getting a place nearby work. Only problem is work can move due to the line of work I am in. I don’t think I have the balls or guts to put a blowup doll in my car. It would just get me really paranoid the whole time driving.

Yesterday, after I left the gym at 9pm. The 10 near 405 still have all red traffic going East. It is getting really ridiculous in LA right now. I just heard on the radio LA county (10 million people) has the biggest in growth comparing to all other counties in the US. Northern California is so much better while I was in school there.

Regan, EV is a great idea. Where can I sign up? How much again? Who? What? Just kidding kidding…

Tim, haha, close to God is right. Nacho Libre, lol. As you already know, maybe not because you are from SD (who want to live there anyway?), cars are ruthless in LA during commute hours.

The car is enticing - I went so far last week to double check fitment of baby seats and nearly signed on the dotted line but have decided for now to NOT buy another car. Yes you save money in gas and you get an HOV sticker but you have to figure about $400/6 months for insurance and other costs into the equation.

I would not replace the 500e with a sport sedan on the weekends so that overall it did not make sense for us at this moment.

I've been in LA traffic and love to visit social but I'm always happy when I return to Norcal - life is just easier up here :)

P.S. Motorcycles is not an option since the risk is not worth the time saved. Been there done that in my younger days but being a dad now with 2 kids who depend on me I won't ride a bike anytime soon on the highway or traffic, that is an accident waiting to happen.

I like your carpool dummy idea! :)

My uncle actually did that for my auntie back in Chicago but for different reason. He didn't want people to think my aunt was driving alone. There are no carpool lanes in Chicago sadly.

My friend said he has been using this to commute on the 405 from long beach to LA for the past month.
bbde3c3aeb5bdc838663c8891944be09.jpg

The thing about the dummy buddy is that if I get caught The worst is a $400 ticket. I admit sometimes I run late and take the risk for a few miles. If I have the dummy in the car for that few miles, I run less risk of getting caught.

How far is your commute? How long does it take?

The thing about the dummy buddy is that if I get caught The worst is a $400 ticket. I admit sometimes I run late and take the risk for a few miles. If I have the dummy in the car for that few miles, I run less risk of getting caught.

And if you get caught, you'll realize there were actually 2 dummy's in the car, lol.
Admit it, that was funny.:biggrin:

Honestly whats your time worth? I've been using the carpool lane for the last few years (approximately 3) to turn my hour+ commute home into 30 minutes. Every night I save 30-50 minutes. I got caught once and I happily paid the 289 fine. Assuming (conservatively) I've used it 4/week for 2 years that is about 400 times. Say I saved 30 min each trip (low end) that's 200 hours saved. 289/200 = 1.45/day. I'd pay that every day of the week to cruise in the carpool lane.

I would bet I've saved more time per day, and used it more days, but you get the point. If Oregon allowed EV type vehicles into the HOV lanes I would have done that, but its 2 people minimum.

Back