• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Learning on an NSX (or opinions needed from fathers with teenage sons!)

This is a problem that some of you may have had or are having to deal with, yet others may never face (and should be glad they never will). I have a 19-year-old son who has been dying to drive my NSX since it was rolled off an enclosed semi truck in front of my house a couple of years ago. He would like for me to take him to a vacant parking lot and let him try his hand at driving the car. There's one problem...he doesn't know how to drive a manual transmission, although he claims to have driven one while away at school. I would like to share the experience of driving the car with him, yet am very leery of having him pop the clutch or commit any of the other errors that most of us have made when we learned how to drive a stick. I learned on a VW bug, not an NSX. I'm curious as to what the general opinion is regarding this...let him try his hand at it or not? Even if I let him drive the car around an empty lot he won't eventually take it out on his own. It would be with me in the right seat. Any thoughts?

Having three sons grow up with our NSX I understand your situation.
Each of them had their drive on an empty lot which they enjoyed while I cringed.
The two eldest didn't have lingering interest in driving the NSX but the youngest got to take it to his grade 12 graduation.
The NSX didn't mind the jerky starts and occasional grinding gear and I still have the car.

I have a first gen Miata, an S2000, and anNSX. I am starting the manual training lessons in the Miata and will see how it goes.

I learned on a dirt cheap, expendable car, and i think it's how it should be. Even if he gets the gear changes right he'll make these small mistakes we all make when we are beginners.. Also having such a cheap car meant i could explore the limits and understand them, it was not a biggie if i would spin it out or hit a curb.

I am sure your son know how much the car means to you. Yes, take him out and teach him how to drive a your manual NSX. Not only will he never forget the experience, but he will now how much you love him. Priceless!

+1 shrink.
also lets not forget that this is a Honda,the gearbox is plenty strong and very forgiving.as to the body,pick a big car park.
our cars are ment to be driven,so go out and drive.
my 2 cents.
steve.

let him practice first with the car in neutral..having some feel for the clutch pedal effort will help when the car is in gear.

Also on a flat surface, he should be able to get underway without the accelerator pedal. That gives the feel of the clutch. Go for maximum rate of release without stalling.

Zoom, I hear you loud and clear, but I don't have access to a cheap car, hence my dilemma. After carefully reading everyone's suggestions, I decided to take him out and give it a go. He did pretty well...only killed the engine once, and the old girl took it in stride! I guess the next step is to find a rural road and let him take it beyond second gear. Thanks to everyone for your thoughts. I told my son that he could thank you guys for helping to change my mind. His response? "Thank you Prime!" My sentiments exactly. :smile:

this thread is useless without pics:biggrin:

Having three sons grow up with our NSX I understand your situation.
Each of them had their drive on an empty lot which they enjoyed while I cringed.
The two eldest didn't have lingering interest in driving the NSX but the youngest got to take it to his grade 12 graduation.
The NSX didn't mind the jerky starts and occasional grinding gear and I still have the car.

Cudos to you JD. Taking it to graduation is huge to any 12th grader, HUGE!!! Jeffery I understand your issue. Just be sure he does'nt do it alone. Be in the car in case he panics and you can just push it in netural.
So everyone here learned on a stick shift. Big deal. I learn on a 3 on the tree!!! If you guys remember, haha. :tongue: You have'nt had fun till you've driven around in a 3 speed on the column.:wink:

Last edited:
I have a 14 year old son and going to make sure his first car is a stick...I believe you don't truly become a man until you learn how to drive a stick shift :tongue:.....let him learn in a civic, then someday I will let him take the NSX on special occasions.......maybe:biggrin:

Btw, I also learned in a VW bug....damn near crashed it in the first 10 minutes.....an hour later I was pro.

haha another vw beetle learner.....16 yo in St Thomas.....circa 1978

Just taught my son to drive a stick on a 1994 BMW. I swear the throws are about a foot long in that thing. Much initial resentment at having to learn to drive a stick, but he really enjoyed his surprise "graduation exercise". I had him take out the NSX after the last lesson. He did a great job and said it was much easier than the BMW.

Now that he's experienced one of the best, he'll never be satisfied with anything less...good luck getting the keys back. Maybe you can appease him with an S2000.

Taught my son Brian on a manual trans Accord, then let him drive the NSX........

Very interesting that when I was hunting for my NSX several years ago. I had met 3 owners who are trying to sell the NSX because of the same reason: I don't want my son to drive it......
It ultimately depends on what kind of kid you have. If he is a die hard car fan, I will steer away the idea. Instead, get him a manual Subaru impreza or corolla sth and start from there.
Seriously, many of us went through that age. You will speed and try to do sth not safe such as break loose tires at the parking lot etc if you are given a car in 18. To a new driver, sth with three pedal is already a big gift.
This always a way to keep your son safe. Always start from as low horsepower as possible.

Totally up to you. Burning clutch on nsx is expensive. I will be coming up on this in about 12 years. I still have time and Im installing carbon clutch for this event to happen. I will however start him on a 5 speed insight hybrid.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I taught my son on the NSX in a vacant parking lot for his 16th B-day. He thought I was only taking him for a ride until we stopped in the lot and I handed him the keys. The look on his face was priceless. I just told him that when I smell clutch, we're done. No pressure though...ha ha. He drove the lot for about an hour, stalling only a few times. That was the last time he's driven the NSX. I told him it's in my Will to him. However, he drives my S2000 all the time. Took it to Prom and graduation. Now at 19, he has a 6 speed corvette.

I taught my 16 year old daughter to drive a stick by letting her drive my NSX. Two weeks later, before she even had a real driver's license, she was doing this............

i-ZJBTCDK-XL.jpg

i-Cw9cDr8-XL.jpg

Now that he's experienced one of the best, he'll never be satisfied with anything less...good luck getting the keys back. Maybe you can appease him with an S2000.

Just purchased an '03 S2000 over the weekend. But it's for my wife. My son just went to college with the low-horsepower BMW 318ic. But driving the NSX gave him the confidence that he does know what he's doing with a manual. I think it's an even easier manual to drive than the S2000.

Congrats on the AP1. Teach her to rev it into VTEC, often. I let my Miata-ownin' bro-in-law drive my AP1 and he just couldn't rev it past 4K RPM until I convinced him. I think the ferocious sound intimidates folks and most think 9K will damage the engine. The brochure clearly states to rev it up 'cause it can take it. After all, the F20C was the International Engine of the Year for years 2000-2004.

Last edited:
You got it. Actually, I think she is more comfortable with it than I am. I have been conditioned to "take care" of mechanicals, while she just wants to have fun.

Back