• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Leather shift boot chrome retaining clip, how to removed?

Does this chrome retaining clip that holds the leather shift boot comes out? I have a new one I want to replace becoz my old one is beat up, do you just pry it out? Not sure how it's hold in place? Clue down? I try prying it out but wouldn't come out, anyone know?
View attachment 114218

Last edited:
pull down it unclips, see the little squares at the top and bottom of the circle the shaft come thru? that whats holding you back just pull down and it will pop off, then unscrew the knob and your done.

Thanks Shawn for your expertise, came out easily

Is there an Acura part number for the little chrome retainer clip? Looked on some of the parts sites and nothing came up (very possibly it's me).

It occurred to me that b/c this part flakes, it'd be great to have a billet aluminum piece made. Or just paint it.

It comes with the boot.

Don't you have to twist the ring 90 degrees so the notches line up with the prongs on either side of the shift knob base?

It comes with the boot.

Crap.

Don't you have to twist the ring 90 degrees so the notches line up with the prongs on either side of the shift knob base?

Yes, if you're using the stock shift knob. I'm using the Type S and it just screws on. But that plastic chrome piece is flaking in the two shift boots that I have. I'm going to try and chip it off as much as I can and paint it the same general color as the shift knob.

Back