• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

LED headlamps for the NSX.

So I recently bought some Phillips LED's {H4} for my Tacoma. I must say, I'm quite impressed with these. First their a very reputable company, second, they maintain the same factory cutoff pattern, not blinding oncomers, thirdly, I love the output of these. I have high hopes that in the near future they will produce 9005/9006 with similar results for our cars. Just wanted to share for those who are looking to upgrade to LED's like I am.

http://www.xenondepot.com/h4-philips-12953BWX2-LED-Bulb-p/12953bwx2.htm

I'd be interested in this as well.

I may get a pair for my Tacoma.
This may be the future for non HID headlamp cars and trucks out there.
one issue for me is, I depend on the heat of a traditional Halogen bulb to melt the ice and snow off my headlamps in the winter. These would run at a very cool temperature in comparison.

My friend put these in all his bikes. He keeps soliciting me to try. Says they're absolutely amazing.

Last edited:
Nice,

The tech specs say these 24W bulbs are at most 1150 lumens, whereas a 35W HID bulb will put out ~2500 lumens at the same color temperature.

The LEDs are getting there, but the price still needs to come down a bit before I'll replace my HID bulbs with them.

I LOVE my MDX's LED headlights. Those things are incredible.

Dave

OMG....Yet another mod to 'think' about :miserable:

Interesting... So there are no ballasts?

Yes there is a small ballast for each side. But on the upside there is no tiny cooling fan built in the back like most LED bulbs. It relies on heat sinks you see in the pick. Very clean install.
But be careful where you buy. I've seen these upwards off $400.00 on some sites.

Funny that this came up. Batman and I met up yesterday and I told him I was updating my car. I was going to get HIDs like I have in the past, but he said I should check out VLEDS.com. I just spoke with the rep there (Erin, I think), and it sounds like a great solution. I'm a little concerned about the fan failing, but I'll take my chances. A few things to be concerned about is that they need about a tennis ball sized amount of clearance, and that we would have to lose the dust caps (they sell rubber caps where you poke a hole and the heat sink sits outside it.
I'm doing the 2002 update but my car is in the shop, so I can't check this out myself. Can anyone who has the 2002+ be able to confirm there is a tennis ball amount of space there, as well as measure the diameter of the circular collar where the dustcap would be? I'll then be able to pass it on to them.
Thx.

Last edited:
That looks good too!

Unfortunately, for my situation, they don't sell the D2S size (for the 2002+ lowbeams). although they do have the 9005 high beams.
Any 2002+ owners that can answer my questions about having a tennis ball amount of space back there for both the low and high beams, as well as measure the diameter of the circular collar where the dustcap would be? I think the diameter is 3.5", but I'd want to be positive.

Thanks.

Looking forward to your review mrna2.

I may get a pair for my Tacoma.
This may be the future for non HID headlamp cars and trucks out there.
one issue for me is, I depend on the heat of a traditional Halogen bulb to melt the ice and snow off my headlamps in the winter. These would run at a very cool temperature in comparison.

Warren you will enjoy driving down those dark roads with these. Soooo much better illumination.

That looks good too!

Unfortunately, for my situation, they don't sell the D2S size (for the 2002+ lowbeams). although they do have the 9005 high beams.
Any 2002+ owners that can answer my questions about having a tennis ball amount of space back there for both the low and high beams, as well as measure the diameter of the circular collar where the dustcap would be? I think the diameter is 3.5", but I'd want to be positive.

Thanks.

I can check for you buddy ~ there is space behind each headlight but not that much. I know we both had R8's and mine had factory LED headlights which were nothing short of amazing. For the NSX I have no problem with the HID in there right now, just upgraded the bulb. Don't see any need to upgrade to LED for now.

Thanks for checking R. I actually looked at it the other day when I went to the shop, but forgot to update this thread. I was able to place my fist in both the low and high beam positions, so we are good to go.
Thanks again for the offer though.

d4f2cf23af33386acd08882b996e6964.jpg

Last edited:
How about for us pop-up light folken? I'd like to make this upgrade if at all possible.

How about for us pop-up light folken? I'd like to make this upgrade if at all possible.
Try it! It's as easy as replacing the stock headlight bulb (because that's all you're doing). You can get a pair of LED replacement bulbs and they're not all that expensive. You can find them in all the usual places (eBay, Amazon, Aliexpress, etc). They come in a variety of prices and brightnesses (measured in lumens). Look for replacements for bulb types 9005 (high beam) and 9006 (low beam). If you don't like them, it's easy to change back to stock and you haven't spent much.

I've replaced the stock bulbs on my MDX with an HID system for the low beams, and LED bulbs for the high beams. I'm very happy with both.

My brother installed his on his 2012 TL SH-AWD for the fog lights.

They are brighter than any HIDs in the 35 watts range. I told him that it was getting annoying when he was behind me....

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.piaa.com/LEDbulb

He used these:

http://www.vleds.com/headlights-32/led-headlights/all.html

Nice,

The tech specs say these 24W bulbs are at most 1150 lumens, whereas a 35W HID bulb will put out ~2500 lumens at the same color temperature.

The LEDs are getting there, but the price still needs to come down a bit before I'll replace my HID bulbs with them.

I'm with Dave on this one. Almost there. Price wise you can get 55w HID with 5000 lumens for less than $40.
My biggest concern with the LEDs now are those giant heat sinks. Some even require fans on them! That sounds like a problem or fire waiting to happen to me!

- - - Updated - - -

My brother installed his on his 2012 TL SH-AWD for the fog lights.

They are brighter than any HIDs in the 35 watts range. I told him that it was getting annoying when he was behind me....

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.piaa.com/LEDbulb

He used these:

http://www.vleds.com/headlights-32/led-headlights/all.html

VLeds look like a quality product. A big concern holding them back for the NSX is this picture:
do-not-use-with-dust-caps-final_15.jpg

There was a 370z parked by my mechanics shop a couple of months ago with the whole front end melted off, I asked the guy what happened was it a fuel leak around the engine and he said no some cheap chinese LED light upgrade, wish I had of taken a photo of it just for this thread.

Yikes. That's making me think twice.

That would be an expensive mistake, ouch! Heat is unfortunately a big issue which is why companies use heatsinks and active fans. OEM factory LED doesn't have this issue from what we've seen but of course they cost $$$$.

I've replaced the stock bulbs on my MDX with an HID system for the low beams, and LED bulbs for the high beams. I'm very happy with both.
The LED high beam bulbs I'm using are 40W bulbs putting out 3600 lumens each. I see now you can even get 40W bulbs with 4000 lumens.

I'm not too worried about the heat. The bulbs do have built-in fans in the base (which is why you can't use them in a housing with dust caps) and there's plenty of room and airflow in the MDX engine compartment. Besides, I almost never leave the high beams on for extended periods.

Back