• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Let the Sun Shine In...

Someone asked me the other day if there was an aftermarket top for the NSX-T that was entirely clear? They make one for the Corvette that is really nice. Anyone ever heard of a unit for the NSX-T. This ultimate "glass roof" replacement could really be a killer look for the car.

------------------
Gordon G. Miller, III
Y2K NSX #51 Yellow/Black
[email protected] http://www.g3.com

There is a company that takes the Corvette hard top and converts it to a lexan glass top. I think the company is called Thompson Tops, but I'd have to check my Vette files at home.

I see no reason why they cannot do the same for the NSX. You'd have to sacrifice the hard top, or buy an extra one.

One note, I've had two Vettes with glass tops, and it gets REAL hot in the summer. Only good for winter.

------------------
94 Red & Tan NSX. One of 35 made that year.

I would also be interested in doing this. Gordon, did you get it done? If so, how did it work out? Has anyone else done this?

I was thinking it would be nicest if it also had a sliding shade added, like most glass sunroofs do. Then you could open it for light when you don't want the top off (such as when driving 75+ down the freeway), but close it when parked or when it gets too hot.

Also, rather than sacrifice a good top, why not get the parts from Acura for everything except the metal outside panel and the vinyl inside panel, and then put the glass and shade where those would normally go?

Chip

Nope, I never got it done and ended up selling my car. But, I am in the market again for a 91-94 coupe... that way there are no "top" issues and a lot more headroom for us tall guys!
smile.gif

------------------
Gordon G. Miller, III
2000 NSX-T #51 Yellow/Black

I am not aware of anyone who has done this to an NSX-T (or, heaven forbid, an NSX Coupe).

If I'm not mistaken, Lexan scratches fairly easily; even though it's more shatter-resistant than glass, my guess is that some type of tempered glass might be more suitable.

If you decide to have it done, by all means let us know how it turns out, and post plenty of photos!

Originally posted by nsxtasy:

If I'm not mistaken, Lexan scratches fairly easily; even though it's more shatter-resistant than glass, my guess is that some type of tempered glass might be more suitable.

I had the lexan top on my 99' Vette. Treated it like paint, and it had NO scratches. I wouldn't want the weight of glass, but that's just me.

Also, while it was hotter than a solid top in the summer, it wasn't all that bad. GM's tinting worked VERY well. I liked having the open roof look(from inside) all the time. Outside, on my Navy Blue Vette you could hardly tell it from the solid top.

Do let us know what you find. It's something I would consider.

------------------
01' NSX-T Silverstone
02' Chevy Avalanche 1500
00' Suzuki Hayabusa GSX1300
02' Honda VTX-1800
02' Aprilia Falco SL1000

Originally posted by akira3d:
Hey G-Man, so you're couldn't stay away from our community, eh? Why not pick up a late model coupe or a Zanardi?

Haha! Yep, I sold everything and then figured that the thing I missed the most is what I would buy back. But after paying $92K MSRP and $8K in tax for a total of $100K for my 2000 NSX-T, only able to sell it for $70K 16 months later, I figured I wasn't out to repeat another $30K loss. Those guys driving 91-94 cars will tell you that this car has hit a plateau. I doubt you will see an NSX going for below $20K anytime soon, but there are lots of good examples at $28K to be sure. I look at it as losing less money that my stock portfolio anyway you look at it.
smile.gif

Nice to be back with you guys again... now all I need is a car.
wink.gif

------------------
Gordon G. Miller, III

Originally posted by ilya:
Little birdie says G-man has an eye on my white wonder (the NSX you sickos).

Yeah, I have been exposed for sure now. So, anyone with an well founded gripe as to why I should not by Ilya's car, please speak now or forever hold your peace.

Hey, I had not thought of having Akira take a look... what do you say buddy? Should be right in your back yard. Might have even gone on some canyon runs already with Ilya?

------------------
Gordon G. Miller, III

Actually, Eric (Akira3D) and I have known each other for almost a couple years now. We met through the club and have done at least 3-4 events together, not including the monthly meetings every month.
biggrin.gif

There are actually quite a few club members here that could look at it for you.

I'll be emailing you those pics this morning and post them on my ad as well.

I am not aware of anyone who has done this to an NSX-T (or, heaven forbid, an NSX Coupe).

If you decide to have it done, by all means let us know how it turns out, and post plenty of photos!

I have a sunroof :)

How well would the replacement handle the heat of being in the engine compartment?

Originally posted by wilsonp:
How well would the replacement handle the heat of being in the engine compartment?

I don't know. How hot does it get in the engine compartment? For example, NSX-T owners - when you go for a long drive, then immediately get out and put the roof panel on the car - is it too hot to handle?

I don't know. How hot does it get in the engine compartment? For example, NSX-T owners - when you go for a long drive, then immediately get out and put the roof panel on the car - is it too hot to handle?

YES! Anything above 80 degrees out there in direct sunlight and it won't take more than 10 minutes before the top it too hot to even touch it. You figure the greenhouse effect and the black clamshell you put the top in is partly to blame. I had to resort to using OVEN MITS to move the top on and off the car. I ran into a few cases where I got caught in the rain and had to whip out the top quickly and actualy got mild burns on my hands. I figured a law suit against Acura was a waste of time, but clearly a design flaw. Guess you figure the engine gets hot too. What were they thinking. Be careful.

------------------
Gordon G. Miller, III

Yes. It gets hot! I almost drop the entire panel on the car because it was so damn hot! I know have cotton gloves in the car to prevent that from happening again.

Honda knows it gets hot. There is a caution section in the manual about it.

I agree!!

I've had recent experience with this--I even tried to let the car cool down in the garage, but it was still pretty warm to the touch after a couple of hours. Has anyone noticed that the plastic of the enclosure that holds the top appears slightly melted on the edges??

If anyone has any bright ideas about insulators to keep the top cool, I'm all ears......

I wondered about the clear lexan top myself at one point. At one time, replacement tinted lexan panels for the Porsche 944 ($800) and replacement tops for 911 Targas ($1300)were popular, but I can't seem to find any mention of them on the web and the distributor, Automotion, seems to have been absorbed by another company. I wonder why they aren't around, I always liked T-tops? They came with insulated roof panels for summer and winter. Perhaps factory sunroofs got too good and nobody bothered to fuss with some aftermarket product that might leak or make noise. I'm surprized that nobody makes a carbon fiber one either.

Back