• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Lexus LF-A will triple GT-R's price

I agree but any car will last 200K with proper care, right?

Your kidding yourself if you believe that :wink:.

I don't think a F car would last 200k. Also to maintain it costs a arm and a leg and you have 1 maybe 2 places to take it to in 100 miles. I would take a Lexus over a F-Car anyday.

That's interesting. The SLR isn't a big seller and is mostly considered a flop in the Supercar world.

So was Carrera GT, they didn't meet the production goal.

The ONLY car manufacture cannot meet the demand is Ferrari. Over two years waiting period and a 50% mark up from MSRP still can't guarantee you the delivery of the car.

NOT Lambo, Austin Martin, Porsche, etc!!!

And I have seen several F 308 with over 100k miles on them, but never 200k. 308 believe it or not, is fairly reliable.

So was Carrera GT, they didn't meet the production goal.

True. Though, from an enthusiast and collector standpoint, the CGT is a desired car now. The SLR on the other hand, never had the buzz from the automotive press, enthusiasts, or collectors. The new Black series SL coming out pretty much makes the SLR a pointless car- similar feel and performance.

also some Japanese car magazines, including Holiday Auto, are saying that the LF-A is meant to compete with the SLR McLaren.

Since Lexus is like Mercedes fighter, I guess it makes sense.

The Lexus brand is insignificant to MBZ worldwide. Be careful not to give Lexus too much credit.

The SLR is a $400K car with pretty good looks and the MBZ badge. It is not analagous to the LF-A nor will it directly compete with those buyers.

People who buy the SLR are the same folks who buy Ferraris and Lambos new. They could give a rat's behind about reliability and practicality. They rarely drive those cars anyway. Most of those folks' daily drivers are big fat AMGs, Bentleys or Astons. Big bucks and big badges.

I can tell you that if I were someone who could drop $200K+ on a car which would not be my daily driver it would not be the LF-A. I would get a 599 GTB or a Vanquish. Are they inferior to the Lexus? Yes. But I would not care. I would have enough time and money for maintenance.

The LF-A is shooting for big-boy land and while it has performance to back it up that's somewhat insignificant when it comes to who actually buys these cars and what those people really want. The LF-A isn't going to feel any faster to these people than any other car with 500+ hp.

$200K+ is a ridiculous amount of money to ask for the LF-A and have it be a sales success. Toyota is trying to create exclusivity through high price which is going to backfire badly IMO. This is totally uncharted territory and again, all I can say is that I hope this is a showpiece limited run car.

I agree but any car will last 200K with proper care, right?

Your kidding yourself if you believe that :wink:.

Any car will last that long with enough money--even a Yugo. :wink:

The cost to own a Ferrari is well north of $1.00 per mile. And that figure gets higher with age. Do the math. To get a Ferrari to 200K miles one would spend enough money to buy another one and then some.

The Lexus brand is insignificant to MBZ worldwide. Be careful not to give Lexus too much credit.

The SLR is a $400K car with pretty good looks and the MBZ badge. It is not analagous to the LF-A nor will it directly compete with those buyers.

People who buy the SLR are the same folks who buy Ferraris and Lambos new. They could give a rat's behind about reliability and practicality. They rarely drive those cars anyway. Most of those folks' daily drivers are big fat AMGs, Bentleys or Astons. Big bucks and big badges.

I can tell you that if I were someone who could drop $200K+ on a car which would not be my daily driver it would not be the LF-A. I would get a 599 GTB or a Vanquish. Are they inferior to the Lexus? Yes. But I would not care. I would have enough time and money for maintenance.

The LF-A is shooting for big-boy land and while it has performance to back it up that's somewhat insignificant when it comes to who actually buys these cars and what those people really want. The LF-A isn't going to feel any faster to these people than any other car with 500+ hp.

$200K+ is a ridiculous amount of money to ask for the LF-A and have it be a sales success. Toyota is trying to create exclusivity through high price which is going to backfire badly IMO. This is totally uncharted territory and again, all I can say is that I hope this is a showpiece limited run car.

Well but everything you've said was said before about Lexus sellling $50k plus luxury sedans. Neither BMW nor MB took them seriously as people spending that much money again didn't have to worry about reliability and maintenance. Yet now those guys are doing their best to make their cars more Lexus like as Lexus has set the standard. Now in their same class in a game they've been playing for years they're known to be inferior to Lexus:eek:

Not only that the Lexus LS Hybrid the first Japanese car to "sticker" over $100k had a waiting when it debuted. The same may well happen with the LF-A. Lexus continues to raise prices and not lose customers and are very well respected with the rich or they wouldn't have the sales that they do.

Well if the Lexus LF-A ends up being like the current Acura NSX (which i mean, is quick and nimble on the track AND can manage the high mileage like the Acuras and Lexus' do now...then you'd have a winner. For those who want a daily driver, but don't want the super high maintenance...then you might have something here.

But you build a car with a high enough price tag, and the performance/luxury to back it up with a decent brand name...and BAM. It'll sell.

I mean...really, you give the Murcielago were a Honda Murcielago, it wouldn't sell. People are very materialistic these days (And I admit, i am somewhat materialistic...)

If it weren't the case, then Lamborghini, Ferrari would all be out of business. Prestige is a big thing...Lexus has earned it...so a 220k Lexus isn't a stretch for them to do it.

I'm sure here we all like Acura to an extent, but until Honda/Acura shape up with their cars, and finally produce something to compete in a level higher than the RL....then maybe they can regain it.

Well if the Lexus LF-A ends up being like the current Acura NSX (which i mean, is quick and nimble on the track AND can manage the high mileage like the Acuras and Lexus' do now...then you'd have a winner. For those who want a daily driver, but don't want the super high maintenance...then you might have something here.

But you build a car with a high enough price tag, and the performance/luxury to back it up with a decent brand name...and BAM. It'll sell.

I mean...really, you give the Murcielago were a Honda Murcielago, it wouldn't sell. People are very materialistic these days (And I admit, i am somewhat materialistic...)

If it weren't the case, then Lamborghini, Ferrari would all be out of business. Prestige is a big thing...Lexus has earned it...so a 220k Lexus isn't a stretch for them to do it.

I'm sure here we all like Acura to an extent, but until Honda/Acura shape up with their cars, and finally produce something to compete in a level higher than the RL....then maybe they can regain it.

did u ever think of this? what if it's Ferrari NSX. LOL,would people be more interested on it?

race cars aren't meant to be reliable.

NO, Itanlian and German Race cars are not meant to be reliable....:biggrin:

Actually, if you look a true race engines such as F1, Indy, and CART, those engines are pertty much missle proof!!!

As for Toyota, they are going through some thing that Honda went through back in the 80's, they also want a car with world class performance and.. the Price tag. The only difference is that Toyota haven't won a F1 race yet, as an engine supplier and constructor.

I don't think a F car would last 200k. Also to maintain it costs a arm and a leg and you have 1 maybe 2 places to take it to in 100 miles. I would take a Lexus over a F-Car anyday.

Dont take my post out of context as I did not say an Fcar would last 200K although I know they will. My statement was in reference to the 50K remark.

NO, Itanlian and German Race cars are not meant to be reliable....:biggrin:

Actually, if you look a true race engines such as F1, Indy, and CART, those engines are pertty much missle proof!!!

they're only missile-proof because they are constantly rebuilt - they only have to last a few hundred miles, at most.

truly strung-out (and driven) engines don't last.... doesn't matter who makes it.

if you think about it, the nsx engine isn't even working hard for what it is..... it should last 200kmi.

but that doesn't explain german cars :tongue: :wink:
"german engineering" is simple.... make it look expensive (till you take it apart and work on it, of course :tongue: )..... i'm surprised how mechanically ghetto some of the most renowned german cars really are.

if anybody is wondering why hondas/acuras don't offer much in the way of options/luxury unless you pay premium.... get underneath them and then compare them to other cars in their class :tongue:

Back