• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

LF issues with not having a scavenge pump, after 10 year w/o.

I have been running my Lovefab Turbo system since 2008 without a scavenge pump and now all of the sudden I am blowing smoke out of my exhaust due to oil entering the system. I have looked at the past history discussed here and wonder what my best course of action is? Engine and turbo are both healthy.

First thing is to take a look and make sure your drain line doesn't have any blockage or didn't somehow shift and somehow manage to restrict flow. Seems odd that it would start after so long. Are you sure your turbo isn't in need of a rebuild?
ssuming as you said that your engine/turbo are fine. Then you can start looking at scavenge pump setups. I always had smoking issues and finally had enough and did this....
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...Build/page10?p=1910292&viewfull=1#post1910292
No oil smoke since.

Last edited:
If it's been okay all this time, inspect your return line thoroughly. Or just replace it as a first step. If that doesn't work, will probably have to do a scavenge system like these other guys.

First World problems!

Grab the sawzall and make room in the trunk for the turbo.....

Problem solved. Problem staying solved ;^D

You already can't transport ice cream in there, might as well add the ability to smoke a turkey!

OK fine, check the oil return line for blockage as step 1.

Had scavenge pump installed and the car is running great

From RB Racing:

When you have a company selling pumps they rebrand...and they do not have a phone number, only e-mail and fax contacts you pretty much know they have regular job. They do not make the pumps but imply that they do and then write up copy saying how their product is wonderful and everthing else is inferior. Simple routine. Buy the items and mark them up 3x. Made in Italy. We know the manufacturer. With straight cut gears these are NOISY.

Fins, to be effective, need to be part of the motor's casing, not slipped over, acting like an insulating blanket, over a powdercoated motor casing.

Typical Customer Comment: " I've got a setup we're building for a twin turbo automotive deal where the turbos are mounted below and require a scavenge pump. We are using Garrett GT series ball bearing turbos and the engine produces somewhere around 60 psi of oil pressure at redline. This said, can you please tell me what of yours I will need so I can order the parts from you? Sadly I bought into the Turbowerx b.s. in the past and do not wish to repeat that."

We seem to replace a lot of these that fail or the supplier will not support them after the sale. Be aware.

pump_finned.jpg

Gary

From RB Racing:

When you have a company selling pumps they rebrand...and they do not have a phone number, only e-mail and fax contacts you pretty much know they have regular job. They do not make the pumps but imply that they do and then write up copy saying how their product is wonderful and everthing else is inferior. Simple routine. Buy the items and mark them up 3x. Made in Italy. We know the manufacturer. With straight cut gears these are NOISY.

Fins, to be effective, need to be part of the motor's casing, not slipped over, acting like an insulating blanket, over a powdercoated motor casing.

Typical Customer Comment: " I've got a setup we're building for a twin turbo automotive deal where the turbos are mounted below and require a scavenge pump. We are using Garrett GT series ball bearing turbos and the engine produces somewhere around 60 psi of oil pressure at redline. This said, can you please tell me what of yours I will need so I can order the parts from you? Sadly I bought into the Turbowerx b.s. in the past and do not wish to repeat that."

We seem to replace a lot of these that fail or the supplier will not support them after the sale. Be aware.

View attachment 154853

Gary

Right off the bat the exapump does not have straight cut gears so he is flat out wrong there. The pump is extremely quite, barely noticeable when engine not running, and undetectable when running. I can't comment on RB racing pumps as I've never used it but I do find it odd that half of their product page is shit talking the other products out there instead of highlighting why their product is the best. Look for other independent reviews, I'm just one of many that will have some different opinions.

I also have same issue, blue-is smoke when I gas it especially on up hills but when flat surface its fine.. looking at the drain line its almost even with the return bung on pan which is at its highest point.. how is your external pump wired? manual on/off switch?

Back