• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Light weight battery?

nsxsupra said:
Thanks, it is fully re-charged, unfortunately it would not hold the charge. went to Autozone for a free test. Look like it is no longer good :frown:

Only had it in the car for 3 months, I will probably try PC680 next time instead of PC545.

Losing 25lbs off my NSX has not been easy for me.

Contact Odyssey. It may still be covered under warranty.

AutoVation said:
Do these things work?

http://www.autocharger.com/product.html

It only weights 8.6lbs. and can be removed very easily at the track. Or could allow you to get the lightestweight battery possible and have "insurance" to help not get stranded.

They work, however, I have tried 3lbs version. :biggrin: you can get similar product at your local pepboy store that weights even less 3lbs. Works exactly the same. I have one, but it is too much hassle, takes 15~30minutes to give you enough boost for jump start.

nsxsupra said:
They work, however, I have tried 3lbs version. :biggrin: you can get similar product at your local pepboy store that weights even less 3lbs. Works exactly the same. I have one, but it is too much hassle, takes 15~30minutes to give you enough boost for jump start.

How about solar power recharging?

B0002SP8CK.16._AA260_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

It's only $30+shipping from Target.com

AutoVation said:
Do these things work?

http://www.autocharger.com/product.html

It only weights 8.6lbs. and can be removed very easily at the track. Or could allow you to get the lightestweight battery possible and have "insurance" to help not get stranded.
Jumper cables are cheap "insurance" and are easy to remove at the track. ;) This product claims it is preferable to jumper cables because jumper cables can be dangerous and can cause an explosion, but an explosion isn't going to happen in a car where there are remote terminals for jumping, away from the battery, as in the NSX.

There are lots of different kinds of battery chargers - light onboard ones vs heavier ones outside the car, ones like these that go through the cigarette lighter but tend to take a long time to charge because of the thin gauge of that wiring, etc.

Hate to bring this from the dead... but I too am looking into getting the PC680 for my car. I was wondering how long it lasts if you have lots of electronics in your car, like alarm, stereo, subs etc... does anyone have all this and gps tracking?

Type-SR said:
Hate to bring this from the dead... but I too am looking into getting the PC680 for my car. I was wondering how long it lasts if you have lots of electronics in your car, like alarm, stereo, subs etc... does anyone have all this and gps tracking?

From the Battery store

http://www.batterystore.com

24 minute reserve capacity @ 25 amp load

If you keep your car running you will have no problems but if you run your electronics with the car off after about an hour your looking for trouble. I would carry a booster pack with you at all times just in case.

Acura NsX Pilot said:
From the Battery store

http://www.batterystore.com

24 minute reserve capacity @ 25 amp load

If you keep your car running you will have no problems but if you run your electronics with the car off after about an hour your looking for trouble. I would carry a booster pack with you at all times just in case.

I agree. I have a PC680 which is great in terms of form factor and weight and during normal operation.. but the reserve capacity leaves me sweating sometimes.. when parked listening to audio (even with a light system), or even leaving the LED dome light on for very long. In the past I even had a handful of PS issues come and go. For more than an over-nighter, I'll plug it in when it is parked rather religiously due to parasitic drain from security, etc... so I wouldn't characterize it as entirely worry free you do need to be aware of a light weight batteries reduced specs.

For a daily driver / street car with added electronics you might try the PC925 as a base line- realistically it only weighs about 8lbs more and offers double the reserve capacity.

John@Microsoft said:
I agree. I have a PC680 which is great in terms of form factor and weight and during normal operation.. but the reserve capacity leaves me sweating sometimes.. when parked listening to audio (even with a light system), or even leaving the LED dome light on for very long. In the past I even had a handful of PS issues come and go. For more than an over-nighter, I'll plug it in when it is parked rather religiously due to parasitic drain from security, etc... so I wouldn't characterize it as entirely worry free you do need to be aware of a light weight batteries reduced specs.

For a daily driver / street car with added electronics you might try the PC925 as a base line- realistically it only weighs about 8lbs more and offers double the reserve capacity.

How long can you let it sit there before you can't start it anymore ? Also what power steering problems did you have? Isn't power steering just mechanical ?

Type-SR, In the two years have I’ve had the PC680, only twice was I unable to start the car due to drained battery: Once when I accidently left the interior lights on overnight and again when the car was unused for 5 weeks. I recently went on a trip for 3 weeks and when I returned, the car started right up.

Regarding the power steering John mentioned, it is electric (on NSXs that have it).

Last edited:
John@Microsoft said:
Does anyone have any recommended dealers for the Odyssey PC925 ?? Preferably someone familiar with the specific configuration (models, terminals, etc) for the NSX.

My current PC925 (from Dali) seems to be on its last legs, and I have the bracket supplied by Dali.

Thanks in advance -- Manuel

nsx1164 said:
Does anyone have any recommended dealers for the Odyssey PC925 ?? Preferably someone familiar with the specific configuration (models, terminals, etc) for the NSX.

My current PC925 (from Dali) seems to be on its last legs, and I have the bracket supplied by Dali.

Thanks in advance -- Manuel

Manuel, I think that Batteries Plus sells the Odyssey Batteries.

So if my car is a daily driver with the following usage:

- Driven M-F most weeks, sometimes on weekends. Yes, I know this is backwards.
- At work, sits 8-12h in Seattle weather, which is usually no worse than about 20F even in the dead of "winter".
- At home, often sits idle on the weekends in a garage that doesn't normally get below freezing.
- Sometimes, during time off or sick days, sits idle for 4 or 5 days in the same garage, and I usually don't remember to hook up a battery tender.
- Doesn't tend to go on long trips, so a dead battery in the middle of the Sahara isn't an issue.

Would I be able to use a lightweight battery?

I've done the other obvious weight reductions, including the most difficult of all: removing 45lbs from the driver.

Last edited:
B-rad said:
Manuel, I think that Batteries Plus sells the Odyssey Batteries.
Thanks B-rad. I had a new PC925MJ installed at a "local" Batteries Plus (Villa Park IL). Cost was $149.99 installed.

I had my 6 year-old Ody925 unit tested -- only put out 150 CCA, which is not enough to start my car :(

icefire said:
I got PC680MJ from Portable Power Systems for $83.95. Add another $10.95 for the SAE battery terminals.
nsx1164 said:

My current PC925 (from ***DISREPUTABLE VENDOR NAME DELETED***) seems to be on its last legs, and I have the bracket supplied by ***DISREPUTABLE VENDOR NAME DELETED***.
I just bought the Odyssey PC925T battery from Portable Power Systems for $111.95 after doing a web search for the lowest price, which turned out to be much lower than ***DISREPUTABLE VENDOR NAME DELETED*** sells it for. Portable Power was very helpful with their advice (e.g. they told me the "MJ" designation is for batteries with a metal jacket, which is suitable for cars where the battery is exposed to a source of heat, but not needed otherwise, so I saved my money by not getting the MJ version). Highly recommended. Their website is here.

Incidentally, the "T" designation (e.g. PC925T) refers to the battery model with the brass terminal posts. So if you're ordering off their website, just order the PC925T, PC680T, etc. and it will come with the posts. (Or the "MJT" model if it's for another car where the battery is near a heat source.)

I decided on the PC925T (rather than the lower designations with their lower CCA) because I really didn't want to skimp on power and reliability.

My old battery (Black Panther 800, which I believe is the same as the PC925) was still doing okay, but it had been eight years since I changed it, so I figured it was a good preventive move.

nsxtasy said:
I just bought the Odyssey PC925T battery from Portable Power Systems for $111.95 after doing a web search for the lowest price, which turned out to be much lower than ***DISREPUTABLE VENDOR NAME DELETED*** sells it for. Portable Power was very helpful with their advice (e.g. they told me the "MJ" designation is for batteries with a metal jacket, which is suitable for cars where the battery is exposed to a source of heat, but not needed otherwise, so I saved my money by not getting the MJ version). Highly recommended. Their website is here.

Incidentally, the "T" designation (e.g. PC925T) refers to the battery model with the brass terminal posts. So if you're ordering off their website, just order the PC925T, PC680T, etc. and it will come with the posts. (Or the "MJT" model if it's for another car where the battery is near a heat source.)

I decided on the PC925T (rather than the lower designations with their lower CCA) because I really didn't want to skimp on power and reliability.

My old battery (Black Panther 800, which I believe is the same as the PC925) was still doing okay, but it had been eight years since I changed it, so I figured it was a good preventive move.
Thanks Ken... good heads up for the rest of us.

Aiken Drum said:
[BenStein]
Anyone? Anyone?
[/BenStein]
I'm in the same climate and use the odyssey 545. If the car sits more than about 5 days it's a crap shoot whether it'll start or not. It would certainly be fine over a weekend though.

Congrats on the driver weight loss!

nsxtasy said:
I just bought the Odyssey PC925T battery from Portable Power Systems for $111.95 after doing a web search for the lowest price....

That is an EXCELLENT price. I am working on becoming a dealer for them, and that price is less than I am being quoted. :eek:

nsxtasy said:

Would this battery require the Dali battery clamp, or will the stock clamping system in the NSX suffice...?:confused:

Sam

SamBel said:
Would this battery require the ***DISREPUTABLE VENDOR NAME DELETED*** battery clamp, or will the stock clamping system in the NSX suffice...?
I don't know, sorry. I already had installed the ***DISREPUTABLE VENDOR NAME DELETED*** battery hold-down on my Black Panther, so I just re-used it (of course).

nsxtasy said:
I don't know, sorry. I already had installed the ***DISREPUTABLE VENDOR NAME DELETED*** battery hold-down on my Black Panther, so I just re-used it (of course).

I find this to be particularly ironic for reasons I've sworn not to reveal. :biggrin:

Back