• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Light Wheels...

MvM said:
Does anyone know just how much difference it makes if your wheels are a couple of pounds heavier or lighter in terms of acceleration.

The weight of wheels and tires is unsprung weight, meaning that it is not held up by the car's suspension. The body of the car is sprung weight. The question is, how many pounds of sprung weight does a pound of unsprung weight translate to? I have heard claims that one pound of unsprung weight is equivalent (in terms of its effect on acceleration) to anywhere from 1.4 to 8 pounds. I tend to believe the smaller numbers.

MvM said:
And wouldn't wheels in 17" let you accelerate faster than same weight wheels in 18" anyway ??

In terms of sheer weight, yes. But then you have to take into account the rotational moment of inertia, as Jimbo mentioned. Basically, the further the weight is from the center of the wheel, the greater the impact (in other words, the more pounds of sprung weight it translates into). This is just like with a child on a see saw (teeter totter), where the further he is from the center, the more force is needed to raise him.

Also, there are other effects on acceleration with the larger wheels, including the fact that the tires tend to weigh more, and the possibility (depending on the tire size chosen) that the tires may have a larger outer diameter which could hurt effective gearing.

So, what are the advantages for having larger wheels? There must be a reason other than just for the looks?! I've seen some racing modena using 18" BBS rims.

wildrice said:
I changed to the Volk TE37 in stock 16/17 fitment for exactly the same reason that you are changing. The Volk in 16 x 7 weighs 11 lbs and in the 17 x 8.5 weighs 15 lbs compared to stock at 16.75 and 20.85, a significant weight reduction. You will have a very difficult time finding lower weight than the Volk TE 37. Possibly the Mugen but I can't think of any other.
How do you like this setup so far? Did you stay with OEM tires? Other than the lower weight the offsets are bit different right...I'm not sure if other offsets are available but I noticed +40mm is common for this wheel. That would have placed the fronts 15mm further out from stock and the rears 20mm further out. Was the clearance ok? Did you lower also? Did you feel any difference from stock performance, either good or bad?

If anyone else is running this or a similar setup I'd appreciate some comments on the pros/cons... and maybe some pictures :)

TIA

Back