• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Lines show better on red!

car companies paint cars based on the demand for a certain color in the region of interest and based somewhat on focus groups/ marketing firms.

Red is Right?

1991 Acura NSX: Right in Red?<O:p</O:p
By John DiPietro | July 23, 2012 <O:p</O:p
Comments (12)
<O:p>
attachment.php
</O:p>

I usually don't like bright red cars. The hue usually strikes me as too garish, too "look-at-me" for my tastes. Up until I saw this red NSX yesterday at Supercar Sunday, an earlier Porsche 911 Turbo ('76 to '89) was the only car I thought looked really nice in red, due largely to the many black components that provide a nice contrast.
<O:p</O:p
Yet for some reason, I think this dipped-in-red NSX looks dynamite. My first choice for Acura's athlete would still be black with tan leather, but I wouldn't kick this out of my driveway for leaking oil.

John DiPietro, Automotive Editor @ 56,667 miles<O:p></O:p>
Categories: 1991 Acura NSX<O:p></O:p>

Anecdotally most sports car are red. If that is true than does it deserve some attention as to why.
There's a historical basis. Quoting from Wikipedia:

From the beginning of organised motor sport events, in the early 1900s, until the late 1960s, before commercial sponsorship liveries came into common use, vehicles competing in Formula One, sports car racing, touring car racing and other international auto racing competitions customarily painted their cars in standardized racing colours that indicated the nation of origin of the car or driver.
The national colors include "British racing green" for the UK, white with red dot for Japan, white with blue stripe (or vice versa) for the States, and red for Italy. Given Italy's contributions to the sports car market (particularly Ferrari), it's easy to see why red as a sports car color has historical antecedents.

I guess the brightest colors would show the lines of the NSX the best? This just seems like common sense to me because of how the eye works. Im not an expert but I wonder if we have an optometrist thats a prime member who could help. Maybe even a professional artist could help. I have taken a few art classes and I will say again Im not an expert but I figure white would show the lines the best.

Last edited:
I guess the brightest colors would show the lines of the NSX the best?

I think I understand where you are coming from. Red and yellow probably provide the most contrast compared to the road, sky, and other everyday surroundings. I'm guessing that is why school buses use yellow paint, and fire engines use red. I feel like I draw more attention when I drive my red NSX, but I have no concrete evidence to back that up other than a few comments from non-owners. I personally find blue to be the most striking color, it is just so shiny in the proper light.

99NSX_rolling.jpg

Light colors will show the lines of a car much better than the dark ones, yet some of us like to be more on the stealth side, if I understand correctly you are shopping for NSX number two and you already own a red one might want to change it up and try another color.

the lighter colors show well during both the day and night time. White looks great especially if you have a wider car.

I think I understand where you are coming from. Red and yellow probably provide the most contrast compared to the road, sky, and other everyday surroundings. I'm guessing that is why school buses use yellow paint, and fire engines use red. I feel like I draw more attention when I drive my red NSX, but I have no concrete evidence to back that up other than a few comments from non-owners. I personally find blue to be the most striking color, it is just so shiny in the proper light.

99NSX_rolling.jpg

Monte carlo is one of the most beautiful colors available but I still dont think it shows the lines the best.

Back