• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Listing with a Broker or For Sale by Owner?

That figure includes commission for the buyer's agent, so you're really talking about half that amount. And that amount can easily be made up during the bidding process. Or do you think you'll be able to get full market value without paying any commission whatsoever, even on the buyer's side? You'll be limiting your potential buyer pool to those who are comfortable buying a property without an agent, i.e. buyers who are themselves licensed. And guess what they'll be thinking: I will be able to buy this property at a discount since the seller isn't paying commission and is limiting the number of potential buyers willing to do the deal. Catch 22.

You could likely cut commission to 4% if your home is desirable. Instead of focusing on the potential dollars you're missing out on (but not really), I would instead worry about staging your home and making it look tip top. Either that or get licensed yourself.

Last edited:
My house has been For Sale By Owner for 3 years. I bought the $450 kit.

I've had nothing but scrubs calling wanting to rent or rent to own.

It's worthless.

We'll be calling a realtor next week.

Did you have the For Sale sign in front of the house for 3 years? That would be kinda funny :smile:

The other benefit of listing with an agent is their network of buyers out there, which can help to sell the house a lot quicker than listing it yourself.

Steven, don't you have your property in Sequim, WA listed FSBO? And hasn't it been listed for years now, even here on Prime?

I see many FSBOs marketed poorly. Bad photos, missing or incorrect information on the MLS listing, never updated or repriced to keep it fresh, etc. And like SWIFTVISION says, no agent will show the property. The FSBOs that I've kept tabs on have sat forever and have eventually sold for way less than they would have if marketed correctly. They're initially priced higher than they should be and are listed much too long with waning interest, when often homes should be priced just under market value to generate competition. Ever go to an auction for property, like a foreclosure, tax, or probate auction? Often, properties sell for more than they should due to the bidding. And that happens with people who generally know what they're doing vs. the average buyer.

Most action on a property is within the first two weeks it's listed, and one that is priced correctly and marketed correctly will have a minimum of 8-10 showings a day during that time. That's a lot of showings for someone to be at your house for a couple weeks.

How would you hire someone to show the property anyways? Some slapdick off the street who'd be eating Cheetos in your kitchen when buyers show? In LA, you'd have the Supra key system where you could keep track of who looks at your property so you don't have to be there or worry about stolen property. If it were vacant you could just use a basic lock box, but I wouldn't suggest that otherwise.

But aside from marketing, your agent's job is to help you negotiate the sale and to handle the transaction, i.e. make sure your ass is covered when things go sideways. What will you do when a buyer hammers you with a tough inspection or low appraisal? You're legally obligated to disclose these things to future buyers. And did you have any backup offers ready? I don't think you've experienced a "hairy" transaction yet.

Right now, school's about to end, summer and the prime home buying season is about to start, and there's about half the inventory on the market than in years past. There's demand, and with the right marketing and pricing you could have buyers bidding on your property, with you sending out multiple counters asking for the buyers' best and final offer. So my advice, if you're serious, is to not waste your time trying to save a few bucks when it will cost you time, energy, and money in the long run.

Good luck on your sale RYU.

As I said the marketplace is challenging for FSBO and agents/brokers alike. In the time I had my property for sale with agents I never had ONE SINGLE showing. Since I took over the listing and marketing I have numerous showings and two inquiries this week. By your logic every property that has not sold that was listed with an agent during this real estate downturn is whose fault? Your assumptions about showings are based upon what??
Priced right in the many marketplaces means competing with bank owned properties. Sure sell your home for 1/3 of it is worth and I am sure it will sell quickly. The fact is that in most areas there is an enormous amount of inventory(2-3 years), loans are challenging and clients for non-foreclosure sales are thin.

Marketing is a HUGE part of FSBO. You need to use the net develop a strong Google presence with a one page website you can direct your prospects to.
It is not difficlut and will likely generate much more traffic any agent. If you really feel an agent can negotiate better then you can for yourself you are right you should never be a FSBO.

Frankly, I could not disagree with you more.

PVMike... you should be in Real Estate. :smile:

Steve Allen... key words "My sister, brother, brother in law and sister in law" :wink:

Yes, my whole family is in your business and has been for over 30 years.
So what!

Yes, my whole family is in your business and has been for over 30 years.
So what!

Your family is in the biz, not you. Please stop giving bad advice when you do not understand the entire picture. The worst thing anyone can do is act as if they know something when they don't. :rolleyes:

RYU... give it a try yourself to see if it's worth the saving. Anything can happen in this business. Listen to Pvmike, he is providing some solid info here.
I'm not here to promote my business or what I do. Just here trying to help out a Prime mate.

Thanks HTN.

http://money.msn.com/personal-finance/slides.aspx?cp-documentid=250041143

Interesting article about the tough home sales marketplace and declining prices.

More appropriate article re home inventory in Los Angeles:

http://blog.redfin.com/blog/2012/03/inventory_shortage_move_along_nothing_to_see_here.html

As I said the marketplace is challenging for FSBO and agents/brokers alike. In the time I had my property for sale with agents I never had ONE SINGLE showing. Since I took over the listing and marketing I have numerous showings and two inquiries this week. By your logic every property that has not sold that was listed with an agent during this real estate downturn is whose fault? Your assumptions about showings are based upon what??
Priced right in the many marketplaces means competing with bank owned properties. Sure sell your home for 1/3 of it is worth and I am sure it will sell quickly. The fact is that in most areas there is an enormous amount of inventory(2-3 years), loans are challenging and clients for non-foreclosure sales are thin.

Marketing is a HUGE part of FSBO. You need to use the net develop a strong Google presence with a one page website you can direct your prospects to.
It is not difficlut and will likely generate much more traffic any agent. If you really feel an agent can negotiate better then you can for yourself you are right you should never be a FSBO.

YMMV. :wink:

Your family is in the biz, not you. Please stop giving bad advice when you do not understand the entire picture. The worst thing anyone can do is act as if they know something when they don't. :rolleyes:

RYU... give it a try yourself to see if it's worth the saving. Anything can happen in this business. Listen to Pvmike, he is providing some solid info here.
I'm not here to promote my business or what I do. Just here trying to help out a Prime mate.

Just because my advice is not consistent with how you make a living does not mean that is not valid. There is an entire world that does not deal with brokers and agents. Apparently, they know nothing and it is you who knows everything. I do not have a vest financial interest in what anyone does on this issue. I simply offer a different point of view and apparently that threatens you in some way shape or form.

There is an entire world that doesn't deal with brokers and agents, but you hired an agent a few months ago and a listing service a couple weeks ago:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122229

Good luck with your sale as well Steven. It looks like a nice piece of property on the water.

RYU, here's some food for thought. There is a difference in value between a private party sale and a dealer sale for another big ticket purchase, and this difference can be quantified by the KBB. Of course there are exceptions, but this is generally true and readily accepted by car buyers. I contend that the same holds true for homes.

Last edited:
RYU, here's some food for thought. There is a difference in value between a private party sale and a dealer sale for another big ticket purchase, and this difference can be quantified by the KBB. Of course there are exceptions, but this is generally true and readily accepted by car buyers. I contend that the same holds true for homes.
Good anology pvmike. I tend to consider myself in the top 20% of capable private partly seller/buyer when it comes to vehicles but I often recommend friends who are not "car people" to their nearest dealer's CPO inventory.

Another possible option would be to rent out the place. Though this option is not a desired one. I'm going thru the due diligence of those P&L projections now.

There is an entire world that doesn't deal with brokers and agents, but you hired an agent a few months ago and a listing service a couple weeks ago:

Good luck with your sale as well Steven. It looks like a nice piece of property on the water.

Not sure what you are referring to as this link is from May of 2011.
Yes it is a BEAUTIFUL waterfront property IMHO.

Is there a house come with it or you're selling the land only?

The waterfront parcel is just a parcel no house for $199,950.00.
The link below provides more info:

http://sequimwaterfront.tumblr.com/

Only item not denoted on the website is we are offering
a $10K referral fee for a buyer who consumates a sale.
If you have some interest as to what the parcel would look like scroll to
the bottom of the link below is a pic:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-inventory-20120610,0,1637144.story

Would-be buyers are packing open houses and scrambling to make offers on properties before they are even listed. Bidding wars are erupting. And real estate agents are vying fiercely to represent the few sellers that do exist.

The much-predicted foreclosure wave that was expected to dump more homes onto the market has not materialized. Fewer borrowers are entering default, and banks are better managing the properties they do have on their books.

Last edited:
I'd take that story with a grain of salt. Talking to a broker in Vegas recently, he said that a vast majority of transactions taking place now are investors purchasing to convert to rentals. They make low ball offers and keep moving to the next eventually finding people that just want to get out of the property.

Taking to a broker last week in the midwest, he said bank asset managers were asking the listing agents for 30 day pricing recommendations. However, they are now asking for 90 day pricing and even though the are holding large inventories they are only letting the listings trickle to the market in order to shore up pricing levels.

Foreclosures have not declined, but are remaining constant. Part of it is it is now taking longer as they are crossing their Ts and dotting their Is during the foreclosure process.

sent from my crappy cell phone.

Last edited:
Okay, it's very possible that the one statement in the article about areas outside of Southern California is speculation:

The sharp drop in inventory along with rock-bottom interest rates have helped stabilize even some of the hardest-hit markets, including the Southland, Las Vegas, Phoenix and Miami.

But the rest of the story about real estate in Southern California is true, and it's the subject of this thread. Your market may vary.

Okay, it's very possible that the one statement in the article about areas outside of Southern California is speculation:

But the rest of the story about real estate in Southern California is true, and it's the subject of this thread. Your market may vary.

I read an MSN article not long ago and it indicated there was a handful of
marketplaces where prices had stabalized and in some cases had begun to rise. However, that is not true for most of the US. There is a shadow inventory
of bank foreclosures and the numbers vary, but it is clearly in the millions.

Steven, don't you have your property in Sequim, WA listed FSBO? And hasn't it been listed for years now, even here on Prime?

I see many FSBOs marketed poorly. Bad photos, missing or incorrect information on the MLS listing, never updated or repriced to keep it fresh, etc. And like SWIFTVISION says, no agent will show the property. The FSBOs that I've kept tabs on have sat forever and have eventually sold for way less than they would have if marketed correctly. They're initially priced higher than they should be and are listed much too long with waning interest, when often homes should be priced just under market value to generate competition. Ever go to an auction for property, like a foreclosure, tax, or probate auction? Often, properties sell for more than they should due to the bidding. And that happens with people who generally know what they're doing vs. the average buyer.

Most action on a property is within the first two weeks it's listed, and one that is priced correctly and marketed correctly will have a minimum of 8-10 showings a day during that time. That's a lot of showings for someone to be at your house for a couple weeks.

How would you hire someone to show the property anyways? Some slapdick off the street who'd be eating Cheetos in your kitchen when buyers show? In LA, you'd have the Supra key system where you could keep track of who looks at your property so you don't have to be there or worry about stolen property. If it were vacant you could just use a basic lock box, but I wouldn't suggest that otherwise.

But aside from marketing, your agent's job is to help you negotiate the sale and to handle the transaction, i.e. make sure your ass is covered when things go sideways. What will you do when a buyer hammers you with a tough inspection or low appraisal? You're legally obligated to disclose these things to future buyers. And did you have any backup offers ready? I don't think you've experienced a "hairy" transaction yet.

Right now, school's about to end, summer and the prime home buying season is about to start, and there's about half the inventory on the market than in years past. There's demand, and with the right marketing and pricing you could have buyers bidding on your property, with you sending out multiple counters asking for the buyers' best and final offer. So my advice, if you're serious, is to not waste your time trying to save a few bucks when it will cost you time, energy, and money in the long run.

Good luck on your sale RYU.

I read an MSN article not long ago and it indicated there was a handful of
marketplaces where prices had stabalized and in some cases had begun to rise. However, that is not true for most of the US. There is a shadow inventory
of bank foreclosures and the numbers vary, but it is clearly in the millions.

I'm glad I took my own advice 3.5 years ago and continued to invest in real estate. But I'm not just gloating; the reason I remembered this thread is because of this:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/192857-6-Secured-Note-for-125K

Steven, why do you talk about the "borrower" in 3rd person if you own the property? And you've been trying to sell this property for how long now?

The correct rate for a hard money loan on this property is over 10%.

I own 4 lots in this area. Sold one and financed the note over three years ago. This note was reflective of that transaction.
Frankly, it all worked out quite well.

Trying to squeeze every last cent out of any transaction wastes a lot of valuable time and opportunity that could be used much wisely elsewhere. Transactions are much quicker and smoother if taken care of by individuals who basically own certain markets. My wife is a RE agent and when we buy or sell in her area, district, club, stomping grounds, syndicate, etc we use her. When we buy outside that area even 30 miles away we use the people who service that area. This is what builds teams and gets deals and deals done. When you try and cut someone out of a transaction you're only harming yourself.

Trying to squeeze every last cent out of any transaction wastes a lot of valuable time and opportunity that could be used much wisely elsewhere. Transactions are much quicker and smoother if taken care of by individuals who basically own certain markets. My wife is a RE agent and when we buy or sell in her area, district, club, stomping grounds, syndicate, etc we use her. When we buy outside that area even 30 miles away we use the people who service that area. This is what builds teams and gets deals and deals done. When you try and cut someone out of a transaction you're only harming yourself.

I do not think this is a one size fits all type of business. What is right for you may not be right for me based upon my motivations. In my case, I was not trying to save money, but create a purchase. I could see that using local agents was not going to make that happen. They were not diligent, creative or proactive. In other words, I was not obtaining what I wanted.
Here are all the things I did to bring a potential client to my door:

1) Created a TV commercial and ran it in different target marketplaces.
2) Hired a local at $10.00 hour to stand with a sign on the main road pointing to a series of signs leading to the lot for sale.
3) Created a website for the lot.
4) Paid for Google advertising directing traffic to the site.
5) Paid for classified ads in local and Seattle papers.
6) Paid for my own ads in other real estate mags.

I am sure I am forgetting about a dozen other marketing ideas I either did or considered in trying to be creative. There is no agent who I could find who was going to do more then place the lot on the MLS and hope for a commission. In my case, it was about creating the sale not saving money. Why should I pay an agent a commission when I am doing all the hard work and investing the marketing dollars? I can take the process to a title company just the same as they can. Seriously, you think any RE you know is this much of a go-getter?

I also think if you are or have a relative in the RE biz you may not be as objective. As I said at the start one size does not fit all and YMMV.

- - - Updated - - -

I do not think this is a one size fits all type of business. What is right for you may not be right for me based upon my motivations. In my case, I was not trying to save money, but create a purchase. I could see that using local agents was not going to make that happen. They were not diligent, creative or proactive. In other words, I was not obtaining what I wanted.
Here are all the things I did to bring a potential client to my door:

1) Created a TV commercial and ran it in different target marketplaces.
2) Hired a local at $10.00 hour to stand with a sign on the main road pointing to a series of signs leading to the lot for sale.
3) Created a website for the lot.
4) Paid for Google advertising directing traffic to the site.
5) Paid for classified ads in local and Seattle papers.
6) Paid for my own ads in other real estate mags.

I am sure I am forgetting about a dozen other marketing ideas I either did or considered in trying to be creative. There is no agent who I could find who was going to do more then place the lot on the MLS and hope for a commission. In my case, it was about creating the sale not saving money. Why should I pay an agent a commission when I am doing all the hard work and investing the marketing dollars? I can take the process to a title company just the same as they can. Seriously, you think any RE you know is this much of a go-getter?

I also think if you are or have a relative in the RE biz you may not be as objective. As I said at the start one size does not fit all and YMMV.

Back