Living in Brunei

I have the opportunity to possibly transfer to Brunei with work. It will be set up as an expat position (I am Canadian), so the pay will be good and the job will be a career advancer.

I am looking for some feedback/comments from others who live or have lived there (I know there are a few prime members in Brunei). If I go, my finance will be moving with me. We are both fairly young (29 and 28) and active. Will there be things to do sports wise; i.e. gyms, pools, soccer, slo-pitch, biking, etc.?

What is the country's stance on the spouses of foreign workers working? She is educated (degree in cellular and microbiology) and has experience in running a biotech lab (old job), safety and regulatory (current job). We work at the same company right now, so i am going to try and get them to step forward with a job, but if that doesn't work out I would like some other options for her. She couldn't just sit around and shop, it would drive her nuts.

I have read that it is a dry country, but foreign workers are permitted to bring in a certain amount of booze. How feasible is this? We are both wine drinkers and like a bottle now and again.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for any information.

PM Jetpilot3

JetPilot3 lives in Dubai!!!

LOl :redface: Ahh it's all the same , you say Brunei and I say Dubai ,Dubai, Dubai ohhhh Dubai sung to the Beatles' you say goodbye and I say hello:biggrin:

Last edited:
Hi vadeit.

I'm local in Brunei. If you are working with our government there will be facilities provided for you and if you have children I think will be provided with education allowances. There is some gyms, pool/ snookers, football field, softball, biking available. Being an Islamic country we don't have bars and disco clubs.

Tourists like our place for being very green and peaceful and quite. People here are quite friendly and willing to show you the way.

I have a friend who is an expat who came here with his wife. They are both working here as lecturers. There is also our University of Brunei Darussalam where she could try to apply. To my knowledge we are still needing supply for teaching staffs. There is also oil companies such as BSP or Schlumberger. Big new companies opening up and needing new staffs which could be suitable for your fiance.

About bringing alcohol drink as long as you are not Muslim you are allowed to bring in but there is a certain limit. I'm not sure of the amount since I never drink.

Bruneian members on the prime are IsR, WiqaasNSX-T, Supercar. I might left some out.

To know more visit: http://www.brudirect.com/index.htm

I have the opportunity to possibly transfer to Brunei with work. It will be set up as an expat position (I am Canadian), so the pay will be good and the job will be a career advancer.

I am looking for some feedback/comments from others who live or have lived there (I know there are a few prime members in Brunei). If I go, my finance will be moving with me. We are both fairly young (29 and 28) and active. Will there be things to do sports wise; i.e. gyms, pools, soccer, slo-pitch, biking, etc.?

What is the country's stance on the spouses of foreign workers working? She is educated (degree in cellular and microbiology) and has experience in running a biotech lab (old job), safety and regulatory (current job). We work at the same company right now, so i am going to try and get them to step forward with a job, but if that doesn't work out I would like some other options for her. She couldn't just sit around and shop, it would drive her nuts.

I have read that it is a dry country, but foreign workers are permitted to bring in a certain amount of booze. How feasible is this? We are both wine drinkers and like a bottle now and again.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for any information.

I've never been to Brunei (and would defer to Jin1976 on any questions of fact), but I did get the opportunity to work overseas when I was about your age, and I took it, and it was one of the best decisions of my life. Working overseas gives you entirely new perspectives on everything; it is truly a life enhancing experience, so if you get the word, go. Now's the time to do it, before you're older, married, with house and kids.

Aside from that, my advice would be to not try to take your entire lifestyle with you. If Brunei is a dry country, go dry. Don't try to create a little Canada in the middle of Brunei -- try to live like the locals do. I'm not suggesting you convert to Islam, but I think you'll have a much richer experience if you try to embrace the culture rather than figuring out how you can do all your Canadian things from 10,000 miles away.

Great advice,,,when in Rome :wink:

LOl :redface: Ahh it's all the same , you say Brunei and I say Dubai ,Dubai, Dubai ohhhh Dubai sung to the Beatles' you say goodbye and I say hello:biggrin:

LOL! Hope you know Brunei is NOT in the middle east! We get lots of those from people outside Asia.

Good advice Flamino, I did the same as well when working outside Brunei. Follow the flow:biggrin:

Anyway. Which company may I ask?
I got lots of expat colleagues from all over the world as we are a global company. To give a picture people who directly work with me presently comes from UK, Sweden, South African, Denmark, Canadian(French-Canadian), Chile, New Zealand and Australian. We also have American working with us representing as product support team.
As Flamino highlight as long as you are able to adapt pretty sure you'll be fine.
Ecotourism is what we are steering towards. I believe 85%-90% are forest reserves. We don't really need that much space for 400K total number of people!
Activities well depend which part of the country you're at pretty sure you'll find lots of active sport available. Lots of my friend does lots of jungle hash which seem to be pretty popular with some of the expats. Golf courses are plenty and believe me they are not pricey.
What makes it better.... well I think your company might detailed you about the taxes already:biggrin:
Car is a must as public transport are in their infancy. Fuel are reasonable, about US$0.38 per litre.
Laws are pretty strict as prohibited drugs could bring death penalty!
We are a muslim country, well if you do come here you can see what a muslim country is all about - forget the news:smile:. Dry country,well my friend seem to adapt well by stocking their houses!:tongue:
One thing which could appeals is its location. We are basically in the middle of the asian country 2-4 hour to Singapore, Kuala Lumpur. Thailand ... well you get the picture. I got a British friend who travel basically monthly around the region, last was him and spouse renting a yacht sailing around the island of Phuket(his 2nd time I think...). That's my usual advise when a new expats joins us, enjoy by seeing what Asia is all about and avoid the tourists spots.
Concerning your fiancee, well Jin mentioned it she could try applying for jobs. But biotech, she might need to look harder. But the HSE background might bear some jobs.
I could ramble on. But hope that gives you a glimpse.
Good luck

LOL! Hope you know Brunei is NOT in the middle east! We get lots of those from people outside Asia.

Lol you are right I don't want to piss of the Sultan of Dubai:tongue:

If Brunei is a dry country, go dry. Don't try to create a little Canada in the middle of Brunei -- try to live like the locals do. I'm not suggesting you convert to Islam, but I think you'll have a much richer experience if you try to embrace the culture rather than figuring out how you can do all your Canadian things from 10,000 miles away.

I agree with the 'when in Rome' idea... don't forget some of the locals are permitted a harem. I am not suggesting you actually marry the others, just enjoy their company:wink:

you say Brunei and I say Dubai but they all got dough, dough, dough, pump that gas... pay out the ass, OH NO.......you say Brunei and I say Dubai

Thanks for the comments everyone.

I didn't mean to come across like I was trying to export my lifestyle there. Sorry if it came across like that. My goal was to get a feel for the place. My only overseas travel has been to Europe. I have been to almost every western Europe country, some for longer stays than others, and always tried to just fit in and take what comes.

After some discussions with the finance I have decided to formally throw my name into the hat for the transfer. Up to now I have just been unofficially talking to the bigs involved as I knew some of them from other projects and meetings.

IsR: The company is Champion Technologies, we provide oil field production chemicals.

Back