• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Long John Silver's menu - does it qualify as food?

I was taking my car (not the NSX) to get its windshield repaired for a windshield crack (3rd time in 3 months - sigh). On the way stopped at LSJ to get some grub, since it was 1pm and I had nothing to eat yet all day.

I ordered the LSJ #6 meal - 2 pieces of fish with fried shrimp, and a x-large raspberry ice tea.

Drive through service at LSJ is horrible. My meal was $8.49. I used a $10, and then tried to give another $0.50, and the lazy, bored cashier wouldn't bother to calculate the new change, so I gave up and accepted the $1.51 in change from the $10.

When I started opening the bag of food at the windshield repair place, I noticed that there were no napkins, silverware, just Taco Bell hot sauce packets.

The raspberry ice tea was about 10 times sweeter than normal. I couldn't drink more than 10 sips of it.

Took a bite into the, um, round fried balls of whatever, tasted very bland and fried, and spit it out.

I tried the shrimp next. Tasted so-so. I've had much better frozen, breaded shrimp from discount grocery stores.

Finally sampled the fish. The breaded, fried, monstrosity was way too salty, and oily to be tasteful. I ate half of one, and left everything else in the box.

The fries were cold, tried one and spit it out. Took a look at the small container of thing that looked like cole slaw, decided to skip it due to not wanting to go to the hospital unnecessarily.

This is stuff that I would feel guilty about giving even to starving 3rd world countries. How can LSJ be prospering and building more, like one near my house?

For the $8.49 I spent, if I had more time, I could have gotten a bowl of delicious Pho, a nice, ice cold boba, and enjoyed a very good meal. Why do Americans settle for this barely recognizable as food LSJ crap? :confused:

This is why it's been years (perhaps even over a decade now) since I've eaten at LJS. Oddly enough I loved it as a kid.

does it qualify as food?

Shrimp is food.

French fries is (are?) food.

Raspberry tea is food.

Fish is food.

Bread balls is (are?) food.

Cole slaw is food.

So to answer your question, yes, LJS's menu listing is of food. Now the fact that you were not pleased with the service is a different matter. There is an LJS a few miles from my house that I visit several times per year. The food is always fresh, hot, not greasy, not salty, etc. Tip - I go there only within fifteen minutes of when they first open, which is 11AM. You going there two hours later, after they just finished their mad rush of lunch hour was the mistake.

2Dobes said:
What is a Pho and a boba? Forgive me, I'm just a hillbilly transplanted in Texas.

Its an asian thing.

a simple search would have turned up this.

pho6.jpg
Pho_small.jpg

The noodles are made of rice. The beef is thinly sliced and easily shreddable. The broth, unadorned, is simple and satisfying.

BoBa

http://www.boba-loca.com/

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 374
2Dobes said:
What is a Pho and a boba? Forgive me, I'm just a hillbilly transplanted in Texas.
Pho is a really tasty Vietnamese soup with rice noodles and beef (usually). Boba, at least as far as I remember, is any drink that adds chewy tapioca balls. You can usually find this at the Chinese eateries/tea/coffee shops. Very good as well.

Frank,

You got to get some "soul" brother.... I love Long John Silvers.... When I saw the thread I saw Long John and I thought this thread was X rated.... HAHAHAHA

Long John Silvers is a great meal.. I will go with you anytime.

I'll have to remember to not go to LJS while in Phoenix (assuming that is where you are). My last trip to LJS, my first in about 10 years, was last year while in Las Vegas, and it was rather pleasant. I don't go to LJS on a regular basis since the closest one to me is about 15 miles to the north, south, or east.

-Randy

P.S. And on a side note, I'm not a fan of Pho or Boba. Just not my fancy.:)

Please direct all food related questions to <B>Donwon</B>. He is our forum's "Food Nazi". Thank you. :D

<B>Acura NsX Pilot</B>: lol... lovely description of what Pho is. :)

You mean you did not finish your hush puppies? That is what the little fried balls are. I never liked them. Noodle soup is the best! I find it very interesting that most of the asain americans (rangeing from chinese to vietnamese to indian and all in between) that I know love to eat food at restaurants that are basically homecooked meals. I have been out with friends to eat and then eat at their house and the food is almost the same. Americans are the opposite. They will spend more money for crappy food, that is why the fast food industry is so big. I wish in the states that it was easier to go pick up a quality, and healthy, bowl of noodle soup then a plate of fried food like LJS. :rolleyes:

I only get the chicken planks when I go. There's more real meat in those than in other fast food "chicken" :biggrin:

For the $8.49 I spent, if I had more time, I could have gotten a bowl of delicious Pho, a nice, ice cold boba, and enjoyed a very good meal. Why do Americans settle for this barely recognizable as food LSJ crap? :confused:[/QUOTE]

The same reason why Americans settle for ... pop culture.

Someone say food? :smile:

LJS sucks, thats what luck will give you after being lucky enough to drive behind a Maclaren. Well those onion flavored fried bread balls are just plain nasty as well as bad for you. If you like fried bread goto Krispy kreme.

I'm with everyone else, and the last time I went to LJS was about 8 years at a rest stop on a road trip.

Well fast food is fast food. Its convenient. With 8.49 you could have bought pretty much a whole single serving snapper/hailbut/roughie and had some change left over for veggies, vegimite (that ones for you, neo :tongue: ) or mac and cheese.

Good move on the cole slaw its a "fire in the hole", "liquid plumber for your stomach" packaged in a little plastic container.

you know what though? some fast food is good. Potbelly's, pho, sushi, even ones that use fried stuff like Chik-fil-a.

Last edited:
For 8.49 around here you can get:

Chenjeh and butter topped basmati rice served with clay baked bread
Chipotle fajita burrito with extra meat
Authentic peruvian roasted 1/2 chicken with beans and rice
Any type of asian noodle pho/ramyun/neng myun/udon
12 inch hoagie from italian gourmet market
Plate of battered and fried s/p head-on shrimp
Curry with chicken/beef/pork on rice.
A deli sandwhich stacked high on any bread
Crab cake sandwhich from Phillips
Assorted chicken wingers with blue cheese from cluck-u
2 Gourmet 2x pattie burger from 5 guys with fresh fixins
Jamacain bone -in jerked chicken with sides
All kinds of other stuff

donwon said:
Someone say food? :smile:

LJS sucks, thats what luck will give you after being lucky enough to drive behind a Maclaren. Well those onion flavored fried bread balls are just plain nasty as well as bad for you. If you like fried bread goto Krispy kreme.
LOL ya I guess I don't mind throwing away $8.49 after a beautiful day at the beach yesterday.

For dinner tonight I went to the best local sushi place, and got 7 pieces of sushi, california roll (came with tuna roll but I'm tired of tuna), delicious hot tea, and 2 cups of miso coup, all for $17. I took the california rolls home for breakfast tomorrow. Money much better spent. :tongue:

PoohBEAR said:
or 7 cheese burgers and a drink at McDonald's :D

Sounds like my style...

phast food? Fo soup? lol...

While out to grab some NSX-related stuff (ie. bulbs, detailing items, etc) at the local auto parts store, I hit up the Long Johns Silver's nearby... out of tribute to this thread by NSXMas!

I ordered Fish & More basket-combo (2 piece battered "fish", 2 hushpuppies, fries, large drink), popcorn-shrimp snack box (small box of breaded popcorn-shrimp w/ cocktail sauce, and a side-order of corn (2 one-half pieces of buttered corn on the cob. Total was: $6.36... often there are promo's or specials that make the baskets and even the larger platters much cheaper.

The verdict was: delicious, filling, simple, pleasant change from the norm'. I used alot of ketchup & hot-sauce and a splash of malt-vineger (good replacement for salt). The food was piping-hot, and everything was upto par in terms my expectations.

I also have to comment, I never have taken Long John Silver's as carry-out or drive-thru as I feel it would lose alot of it's essence (freshness, crispiness, limited condiments, etc). Eating in, the food is relatively fresher in terms of preparation than drive-tru... my best-friend in h.s. and college roomie worked at Long John Silver's, and he told me they have to have a vast quantity of food on stand-by already prepared for drive-tru orders till the very moment they close at nite.

People who are of a foreign culture & palate often find certain fast-foods or various types of cooking unsatisfying. I come from a background of VERY spicey & seasoned foods. I can not eat McD's or BK to save my very own life, as I'm sure many people of European descent can't get into eating Japanese/Korean/etc foods.

Also alot of our food preferences can be related to literally our taste buds. Some of them hyper-active for sweetness vs. sourness, others are for texture as-in soft/slippery/wet vs. rough/course/grainy (I recall that there are 3 groups of unique taste-buds). I am keen on foods w/ a texture as opposed to soups/broths/sauces/soft-stuff. I only got into eating chinese food & sushi a few yrs ago after not being into it for about 25 or so years!

So all-in-all, it's perhaps bests to say the quality/preparation/service/delivery of the food wasn't upto expectations rather than to say that the particular type/genre of food is poor or bad, in layman's terms. In-fact, some of the WORST prepared & atrociously tasting meals I've ever had were at Asian eateries (twice needed ER intervention). I attribute that to lack-of-initiative and desire on the part of the business proprietors, not the particular type of food/ehtnic-cuisine being the culprit.

So there is the good, the bad, the ugly w/ every type of cuisine. I always live w/ this ideal... eat what you feel comfortable w/, familiar w/, and have already eaten before!

Back