• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Long Time NSX owner and enthusiast, Dan Tobie passed away

Dan Tobie has left us to go to a better place on Monday morning.
http://www.caringbridge.org/ca/dantobie/

We met through NSX club, and his passion for NSX and his quest for speed brings us close together. We worked together in developing Porsche brake kit for the NSX. I believe he also the first one to have a rear Porsche brake on the rear of NSX, even before Movit offer the kit.

His passion continue as he develop a twin turbo kit based on Corky Bell's design. With lots more thought and ingenuity goes into his kit, I had the pleasure to drove it around Sears Point at NSXPO 2003.

Dan is a special man who always willing to help and has a great heart. His memory will lives on.

I have known Dan since 1999 when he was rebuilding his NSX. He and I spoke on phone and emailed in various occasions. He was always a perfect gentleman and very talented. He will be greatly missed. His handle on Prime was tunapie. He was a commercial airline pilot.
Steve

My deepest sympathies to the family and friends.

I did not know Dan but it's ironic that I was at Don's (Hilltop Auto) on Monday just shooting the breeze and he mentioned to me that a NSX'er ,Dan , was very sick. :frown:

Otto

Similar to Steve, I met Dan back in 2000 when we started organizing track events. Many times he brought his family to the track events. He will be missed.

i dont think i ever run into Dan, but still it's very difficult to hear we that lost a nsx member all my love and pray to Dan's family and all his love one.

R.I.P my friend

My condolences to his family and friends.

In 1999 on the NSX list, before Prime, I was seeking help to locate a set of Work Meister S2Rs that wasn't available in the states. He contacted me via emails and phone calls and eventually offered to bring the wheels back from Japan for me. He told me that he was a pilot that travels to Japan often. Bringing back something that weights around 100lbs for a total stranger was the kind of person he was. Very genuine and willing to help.

Although I ended up airing the wheels in, his gesture was how I remembered him. I did say hi to him during NSXPO 03.

After reading Travis's passing from the S2k forum, and my coworker's husband (died of a heart attack at 48 on Monday), I think I have enough bad news for awhile. This is just too hard!:frown: :frown:

My condolences to Dan's family and friends. I never met Dan but based upon what has been said, I can see he was a true gentleman and auto lover. Sorry to see a man like that leave us so early.

I met Dan a couple of times over at GJ's - he was a quite excellent "amateur" engineer, designing & fabricating many custom machine parts for his brakes & Turbo kit amongst other specials on his NSX.
So sad to see a young life go prematurely - my condolences to his family.

CDub said:
My condolences to his family and friends.

In 1999 on the NSX list, before Prime, I was seeking help to locate a set of Work Meister S2Rs that wasn't available in the states. He contacted me via emails and phone calls and eventually offered to bring the wheels back from Japan for me. He told me that he was a pilot that travels to Japan often. Bringing back something that weights around 100lbs for a total stranger was the kind of person he was. Very genuine and willing to help.

Although I ended up airing the wheels in, his gesture was how I remembered him. I did say hi to him during NSXPO 03.

That was the kind of person Dan was. Truly a car enthusiast that didn't blink an eye to go out of his way to help another fellow car enthusiast.

Dan's family has planned a "celebration / memorial" for Dan in 2 weeks. Here are the details from the family website: http://www.caringbridge.org/ca/dantobie/

Thank you everyone,

-- for all your kind expressions of love and remberance for Dan. As a family, we have begun the process of planning a celebration and reception for this nice guy, and welcome all of you. Here are the details that have been set in motion:

Saturday, April 22, 2006 @ 11am

United Methodist Church
902 Danville Blvd
Alamo, CA 94507

Love,
Bev & the Boys

Hello everyone, I am Dan Tobies son Jack, I am now in possession of my fathers nsx and have been taking care of it. I stumbled upon this thread and thought I would let everyone know the car is still around and taken care of!:smile:

wow...how thoughtful of you to find and update this thread.....I hope your nsx brings fond memories of your dad.

Yes it's truly been an emotion expierience to start working and maintaining the car myself. I'm still only 17 and have to work for every part I put on the car but in the end It's a labor of love and I truly enjoy it more than anything

Welcome Jack! Very cool you ended up with your dad's car, couldn't have ended up with a better person for it.

Any questions or help needed prime is the perfect place!

Hey Jack, welcome. Nice tribute to your father to keep the car.

Last edited:
Well actually I need help with how much boost the car is running and changing it to be more suited for driving so what I'm in the market for is a tuner who has dealed with twin turboed nsx before!

Welcome indeed. For many who may not know DanTobie, he was one of the first to design/work on turbo engines. And he was a regular at the track!

Jack, locally - ie Northern California, your best bet would be Shad at Driving Ambition (Eldorado Hills - east of Sacramento) for such issues. But for regular stuff there are a few dealers and aftermarket shops in your area; the local members can be of great assistance.

Ok thanks a lot for welcoming me to the community it's really nice to be a part of this car culture! And if any of you are expierienced with the tec-III system it would be greatly appreciated if you could help me out

Welcome Jack. I echo everyone's sentiment on here. I haven't met your dad but we're happy to help nonetheless. I will ask around about the tec-III system. It's an older unit (circa 2004?) but there's gotta be someone out there who's familiar.

I'm not familiar with Dan's system but just to get you on the road you'll need to likely adjust the wastegate to bleed off more boost but will require a retune of the fueling and timing system via the TecIII.

Back