• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Longest commercial flight?!

IsR

Experienced Member
18hrs 40mins!!(not including holding patterns) Survived it, not as bad as expected direct Singapore to Newark, sat next to a guy from Philadelphia. Took domestic yesterday, and now just want to lay back and let the jet lag kicks in :biggrin: Nice and warm here in Miami, but all I can think of is how sleepy I am! Always dread long haul flights

jet-set...

I presume a Boeing 777-LR? A few years ago, PIA started a direct service from Pakistan to NYC w/ a brand-new new 777-LR ("Long-Range"); this plane also did Hong-Kong to London the long way (22hrs 43mins).

Leave tomorrow - here's what I have ahead of me:
San Francisco to Sydney Australia - 14 hrs 42 mins;
1 hr 40 min layover
Sydney to Singapore - 8 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 20 min layover
Singapore to Penang Malaysia - 1 hr 25 mins

Yikes! What was I thinking! :eek:

seeya' tomorrow...

IsR said:
Its an Airbus 340-500, think they named it A345 Leadership.
Did you 22hrs 43mins! Imagine the amount of fuel they're carrying!

The aforementioned 777-LR 300 has a slightly greater range than the more prevalent 777-LR 200. Both Boeing's have a carrying capacity of ~300 passengers. And yes, uber-loads of fuel (44,000-45,000 gallons)! I believe the ticket cost for the direct flt' is also significantly more than what it would cost on a typical journey which would have either a stop in the middle east or Europe en'route to North America from South Asia.

Following 9/11, relations between Washington & Islamabad became very cordial and so forth... Pres. George W. Bush made a last second phone-call to Pres. Musharraf to help ice the deal w/ Boeing. My mom's elder bro' is the director of acquisition/requisition & maint'/service of the fleet, so we kinda get lotsa scoops.

D'Ecosse/Ken, I can't even fathom what the heck you can do for 24hrs in transit!?! :eek:

Re: jet-set...

IsR said:
Its an Airbus 340-500, think they named it A345 Leadership.
Did you 22hrs 43mins! Imagine the amount of fuel they're carrying!

Just thank God you made it in one piece. I go out of my way to make sure I never set foot on an Airbus. If Harley-Davidson made an airplane, it would be an Airbus. :biggrin:

aero-fromage...

Hugh said:
Just thank God you made it in one piece. I go out of my way to make sure I never set foot on an Airbus. If Harley-Davidson made an airplane, it would be an Airbus. :biggrin:

You mean to say the US gov't has an endless supply of checks for Harley Davidson just like the EU does for Airbus Industrie?!? Wouldn't that be AMTRAK, instead... :tongue:

Until this A380 & A350 pair of mulligans, Airbus was producing a superior product to what Boeing & McDonnell Douglas were churning out. There's a near-universal concensus on that, from Seattle/Chicago to Toulouse/Hamburg.

All I know is that due to the A380 super-jumbo & US D.O.D., costs of composite materials (carbon-fiber/kevlar) and petroleum-based polymers/resins/plastics have become very much a PITA!?! :frown:

Re: jet-set...

Hugh said:

Used to do the same thing, keep away from Airbus. But I think they are more refine now then when it was introduced(remembering the incident when full fly-by-wire was first introduce).
Still I think A380 is way to big for a commercial aircraft, not too many airport will be able to support anyway.

I did long haul for a while. We flew from Ancona Italy over the north pole to Anchorage Alaska once. 18 hours + Only 3 of use in a 747-200. Empty cargo and full of fuel! *51,000 USG +-
*FAA rule Part 91 allows this non revenue flight.

SH_241001_PolarAir_N923FT.jpg

*Ironically the Polar stands for Polaris leasing and has nothing to do with flying over the poles.

D'Ecosse said:
1 hr 40 min layover
1 hr 20 min layover

Good luck D'Ecosse :eek: I feel your pain. Thus reason I break up my journey having a night in Singapore and a night in Newark just to reduce the airport layovers . Man! just the thought of the whole long haul ...

LA to Melbourne was ~14hrs coming back from NSXPO. Once you get over 10hrs any flight turns into a ball-breaker. The only way I survived was to close my eyes and re-live the NSXPO. :D

On a 10hr flight you get 3 movies. After that you dont really care about watching yet ANOTHER movie.

D'Ecosse said:
1 hr 40 min layover
1 hr 20 min layover

Home after round trip in 81 hrs!
SFO - SYD - SIN - PEN - SIN - PEK - SFO

Best flights were the Singapore Air segments, especially SYD - SIN. Those guys are the best. I want to buy the Chairman of UAL a ticket to accompany me on one of their flights, so he can see how it should be done.

The worst part of the trip was coming back through Beijing - their transfer system there is completely asinine! You have to actually exit into the main terminal (clear customs & immigration) then re-enter (clear customs & immigration again!); then I discovered that I couldn't access the Lounge because the United check-in wasn't open yet > so couldn't get my boarding pass > so couldn't get into the gate area where the lounges are.
I had a 5 hr layover there. Fortunately the check-in opened 3 hrs before departure so after all the screwing around exiting & re-entering B/S I only had to hang around for 1 hr before I could get into the gate area & the comfort of the lounge.

I was fortunate enough to be in Business Class the whole way. I can't see how I possibly could have done that in coach - I'd be a vegetable!

D'Ecosse said:
1 hr 40 min layover
1 hr 20 min layover

Yeah, what the heck. It is high season now so I suspect there weren't many available flights because there are one stoppers that would cut that time down signifcantly.

Next week I go back to Bangkok.

LAX to Taipei 13 hrs 15 mins
Taipei to Bangkok 3 hrs 40 mins

Thank goodness for business class...

i had a 12hr flight when i went to rio de janerio, brazil. It was brutal and i vowed the next flight i wouldn't fly low class, im upgrading to business class!!!! It smelled like billie goats in the back.:smile: i tried to upgrade to business clas where the seats lay flat and got my bubble burst with a 5k upgrade bill!!!!:eek: I had enough liquor in me to sleep most of the way home a watched"house of sand and fog" on dvd. Carnivale was worth a 24hr flight!!!!!:biggrin:

Malibu Rapper said:
Yeah, what the heck. It is high season now so I suspect there weren't many available flights because there are one stoppers that would cut that time down signifcantly...
Helps when you don't book it 2 days before you leave

That was a short Penang visit D'Ecosse? Don't think I know what time or day it is if you've done all that travelling in a week! And Singapore Airline is the way to travel, gotta love that skybed...

decosse u were in sydney ??
yeah singapore airline is the best. they're business class is prob the best and the girls are :)

Last year on the way to NSXPO i did SYD-LAX 13 hours>LAX-PHX by car 6 hours>PHX-LV >LV-SD>LAX-SYD 13 hrs>SYD-SIN 8 hrs>SIN-LON 13hrs>LON-SIN-SYD 20hrs all in the space of 20 days and in freaking economy!

IsR- family is planning that flight for our next holiday if im not wrong isn't it only 2 class flight ? one being a cross between economy and business and one like a business/first class ?

Last edited:
wow,amazing statistics thus far, but i may hold the record:

in the mid 80's i had to make a trip with my former wife to los angeles from san jose. 45 minutes... an hour, tops.

two former spouses, sharing joint custody of their only child, traveling on the same plane.

this is easily the longest commercial flight on record.

Day before yesterday....

Bangkok to Japan, Japan to San Fran, San Fran to TX

Left at 6am Bangkok time, got to tx at 6:30pm the next day TX time.

24.5 hours.

Although it was business class, I'm still jet lagged....

I fly from the East Coast to Taiwan/China quite a bit. The longest leg of the flight is either Detriot to Osaka (Northwest) or Hong Kong to San Francisco (United) and has always been on a 747-400. Flight time depends a lot on the jet stream, but generally its 14-17 hours for the longest leg. Door to door travel time is usually about ~30 hours +/- ~12 time zones. If you do it enough and get the right sleep routine on the plane, the jet lag only lasts for the day or 2.

DON'T get coerced out drinking the moment you get there, or the next day you run the risk of falling asleep while standing up at about 3 in the afternoon the next day. :wink:

topman2005 said:
New York -> Hong Kong
direct flight, took 18-19 hrs, 3-5 times a year........its a PITA:eek:
Yes, flights between New York (JFK or Newark) and the Far East are the longest non-stop, regularly-scheduled flights in the world, at 18-19 hours. As of June 2004, this article claims the record for the Singapore-Newark service on Singapore Airlines. Last year, this flight from Hong Kong to London (the long way, over North America) set a record for distance (13,422 statute miles) and time (22 hours 42 minutes) for a non-stop flight by a commercial airliner, but it's not a regularly-scheduled flight.

Back