• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Longest NSX Ownership

Time to test the waters again to determine if anyone has owned an NSX for a longer period than yours truly. It has been over 21 years since I took delivery of my original 1991 NSX on February 28th, 1991.

I would certainly entertain purchasing the "new" NSX if Honda can get it to the marketplace before I am committed to an old age facility. I am finding it really difficult to hang onto my cane and shift gears at the same time!:rolleyes:

bowDown.gif

over 21 years since I took delivery of my original 1991 NSX on February 28th, 1991.:rolleyes:

that's awesome!!!

do you happen to have photos from when you took delivery???

July 16th of 2004 for me....
bought with 85k miles, currently at 156k.

Last edited:
wow from day one yikes thats awesome.

whats the VIN I mean is it like 000009 LOL

how much money have you put into the car in 21 years?

do not include gasoline only repairs, maint etc.

I think this is going to be a great thread.

how many sets of tires?

do you drive the shit out of it? or is it a garage queen?

does it still smell like new?

whats the condition of the paint since its only had one owner? you def cant say well that scratch was from the previous owner LOL

so cool.

If Ken hadn't sold his recently i think he would have the title.

Got mine 11/11/99 with 22,000 miles. Now has 139,000 with over 10,000 track miles.

With respect to comments by NSX GT and myw, I am pleased to report that I am still in the "honeymoon" stage with the NSX.

Hugh-The vehicle currently has 167,108 km or 100,265 miles. It has been driven in all seasons except for when there is snow on the ground.

PHOEN$X-Just got back from Japan...don't know how much longer I can participate in this reciprocal bowing routine!

dlynes-No. I don't think that I have photos back from 1991 on the day the car was received but you have got me wondering as to when my earliest photo with the NSX was taken. I'll have to dig around to try to locate. I do remember a video taken shortly after delivery.

Shawn-even an obsessive/compulsive Finance guy wouldn't have all the answers to your queries at the tip of his tongue.
1. VIN 00191
2. Money in the car (including original purchase price)-$20,014 (rounded to the nearest $) NB-This excludes tires and insurance
Now that is one heck of a deal especially compared to my previous ride a 1978 Porsche 911 SC Targa (kept for 17 years).
I must disclose that my dealer originally granted me free oil changes for the life of the vehicle which with hindsight he may have regretted.
3. Sets of tires-That's a tough one especially since the rears were usually replaced twice as frequently as the fronts. I remember being more than a little concerned when the original incredibly super but soft Yoko's only lasted about 3000 miles.
I believe that I have purchased an additional 24 tires over the 21+ years. Not too bad... an average of about 14,000 miles per set.
4. Garage queen-No definitely not but treated with great respect. It was a daily driver for many years when i commuted the few miles to downtown Vancouver and kept it in a secure underground parking spot. Although often driven aggressively, it was only tracked a few times.
5. Smell-the new leather smell is long gone.
6. Paint-the paint has held up remarkably well

In summary, it has been an affordable blast!!

awesome!! Congrats. And to many many more fine years of ownership :cool:

Interesting! Honda should give you some kind of award for longest NSX ownership. Congrats indeed! BTW, is that still the original timing belt/WP on there?

Wow, congrats,, that's awesome for being original owner back in the days till now and the love of the car still lives on. It makes me proud and lucky every time I drive the car to own one of the best sport car ever made. Kudos to all the original owners out there.

Wow that is awesome. I typically replace vehicles every 2-3 years and my current Jeep I've had for 6 years now and plan to keep it till I lose my license. I also plan to purchase an NSX in 2013 and intend to keep it for the rest of my life as well. I want to do a total restore on it. I figure if I can keep those 2 vehicles for the rest of my life and stop buying cars, I will certainly get my pennies worth and the cash funnel I typically spend on vehicles can go elsewhere.

I lied. I left out the original purchase price of $87,000 so the toatal cost of ownership excluding tires and insurance was actually $107,000 or about $5,000 per year on average. After factoring in it's current estimated resale value (say $25,000), the net cost would be $82,000 or under $4,000 per year. Now that is unbelievably inexpensive for an exotic.

Timeless - The original clutch/timing belt/etc was replaced after 9 years and again 9 years later in 2009.

Marc

Hi Marc, was wondering the time frame you replace all the 23 hoses? Where there any issues you have from day one with the car?

congrats,I'm on year 16....that said acura has a quarterly owners magazine that might pic up your story if you submit it.

Anesthesia-I replaced all hoses proactively (i.e. nothing was leaking) in 2009 after 18 years of ownership based on info gleaned from NSX Prime and a recommendation from the dealer who was doing some major work on the car at that time.

Docjohn-Thanks for the info.

Marc congrats sir! awesome post re cost of ownership over the years.

you must post an early 90s picture upon picking up the car brand spanking new! :)

I lied. I left out the original purchase price of $87,000 so the toatal cost of ownership excluding tires and insurance was actually $107,000 or about $5,000 per year on average. After factoring in it's current estimated resale value (say $25,000), the net cost would be $82,000 or under $4,000 per year. Now that is unbelievably inexpensive for an exotic.

Timeless - The original clutch/timing belt/etc was replaced after 9 years and again 9 years later in 2009.

Marc

Awesome man, thats a looong time owning a car. I would be resale is a little more than $25K considering its still under original ownership.

Can we see pics in its current state today? Congrats cause I plan on keeping mine as long as I have a drivers license

Back