• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Looking for a BBQ/Grill

Mine is about shot and I now have natural gas so I don't want to use propane anymore.

I figure it is probably a good time to buy since the season is done.

I looked at several kenmore on clearance and they all had terrible reviews.

What do you guys suggest? Budget between $500-$1200.

I got tired of replacing my grill every 5 years because it would rust out, that's just a waste of money. I ended up going to craigslist and finding someone that did Weber refurbs as a side business and for $200, bought a 3 burner refurbed Weber. That should last me the next 20 years, other than the occasional parts replacement. The parts for today's Weber grills are the same as the ones 20 years ago, so there's no worry about the grill you have today not having parts available a few years down the road. It also gets up to 700 degrees, unlike the crappy ones that barely make it past 400.

Weber is the way to go. Im a charcoal kind of guy but I heard nothing but good things about Weber grills. I have no experience using gas or propane grills. Im just going by what I have heard.

Wow. Crazy weber support. Looking at the s-330. Cant understand why a $1000 grill doesnt come with a cover:confused:

We have a summit gold and you can find a good deal if you get lucky at a store that has some leftover floor models or unused outgoing models.Most webbers have a good design that protects the burners from dripping goo .Mine easily gets to 700 deg on propane.

I bought a Weber Genesis E320 natural gas grill last year. It is by far the best grill for the money. I was looking in Sears one day and the salesperson said a customer ordered the wrong grill (NG vs PG) and didn't pick it up. I stole it for $500 on the spot. This thing gets so hot that, just by opening the lid after it heats up, my arm hair gets burned off every time. :eek:

This thing gets so hot that, just by opening the lid after it heats up, my arm hair gets burned off every time. :eek:

Yeah I've burned my arm hairs off too!! I love how hot it gets... none of the grills I've had in the past got anywhere near as hot as the Weber. Makes for really awesome steaks...

If you are planning ahead, you might want a traditional gas grill and a big green egg both. While i'm not a big smoker guy which is were the egg shines, once you get used to the egg, it's hard to beat for retaining moisture.

I have a Traeger.

The egg would be awesome to have but I like the self automation of my traeger. Grilled up a tri tip, didn't even need to flip. Or the salmon. Or the, well most everything actually. I even roasted an entire chicken on the dang thing, no flip. Set it to 400 (or was it 425?) for one hour, then smoke for 1 hour (optional), good to go!

Another weber vote. Spirit E210. Wish I got the 310.

You can get the cover off amazon for $25. :tongue:

Last edited:
Yeah I've burned my arm hairs off too!! I love how hot it gets... none of the grills I've had in the past got anywhere near as hot as the Weber. Makes for really awesome steaks...

You should try a TEC Infra red grill...it will have a melt down if you put in on high and close the lid....

These units are pricey, but I have had mine for 10 years and it still looks and functions like new.

http://www.tecinfrared.com/the_tec_advantage.php

+1 for the Weber, had mine Weber Silver Genesis, 3 burner for over 10 years still starts up like a champ. Had to replace some grates but that's no big deal. Put in cast iron ones, like those better.

You could check out the context-sensitive ad that pops up at the top of this page, now.
I guess I'm not qualified to chime in. I'm in Texas and I only use mesquite.

I finally gave up on the old "Char Broil" grills - never last. Got a Weber (hooked up to natural gas) - thing runs like a champ and all the parts continue to work great. Also have the "Big Green Egg" for ribs, chicken, and other smoke / low heat long cooks. Best of both worlds. A little outdoor music, a few beverages, and outdoor grilling is wonderful :smile: Jay

I still havent got my weber yet. I was waiting for them to go on sale. Too bad that never happens.

I see them on sale from time to time on slickdeals, usually after the summer season is over. What I did for mine was found one on craigslist, there are a TON of weber deals on craigslist around here all the time. In my case I actually found a guy who reconditioned them and bought one from him. I bought a reconditioned 3 burner silver genesis for around $200 IIRC.

Check craigslist, you'll find something.

Just bought a Napoleon grill, Works GREAT and super hot with propane. Debated between this and the Weber, both got top marks, went with the Napoleon because of the lifetime warranty. Also have a Vermont Castings at the cottage, thing is HUGE and also works well.

Big Green Egg!
I switched from propane to charcoal about 11 years ago. Steaks at 750', smoking a turkey at 200'.

Back