• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Loud ticking sound

So i was driving down the road at about 60mph, and suddenly this loud ticking sound appeared and I almost swerved off the road and went into panic mode.The sound is coming from the left of the OBD II connector, and the piece has a green connector attached to it. I took a video of it and would be happy to share it with anyone who could help me out. Started 3 days ago, just once, and now, it happens more and more frequently. It doesnt affect driving at all, but it is loud, and sounds like a stun gun. Thanks guys.

What year? the location of the odb2 plug changes during the production run. so it could be on your pass side or driver side.

- - - Updated - - -

from inside the cabin, or the front of the car?

more info needed to vague of a question

Thanks for the responses. It's a 1998 so the connector is on the passenger side. It's right underneath the dash, left of the obd II connector. Have a video a picture of the culprit. Just don't know how to upload onto here.

On an off chance, a dirty aspirator fan? I would not describe the ticking noise that the aspirator makes when it is dirty as loud; however, it does come from that general area. Once it starts, the noise will be continuous and with a steady repetion rate. If that is the problem, the fix is relatively easy. Use the search bar and there are a number of threads discussing the fix, or you could just disconnect it (which is the easiest way to diagnose whether it is the source of the noise.

Well, was gonna figure out how to post a video on YouTube via my desktop, but little guy came by and hit the power off button, and I've been meaning to get a new PC so boot up time is beyond my patience level right now. So I'm typing this from my phone. OG, not the aspirator fan, Shawn told me what it may be, so I'm going to cycle my climate control from floor, to vent, to defrost and see if it indeed that problem. And off I go!

guys he sent me the video here it is. its the a/c direction control box.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:
sounds like the CCU board is bad. There are capacitors in the CCU that limit the door actuator swing. Some of them are bad and the mechanism is just swinging past its stop and causing this loud ticking.
Turn your CCU "Off" and it should disappear, it actually should stop on its own after it has done a few cycles.
Sometimes changing to different modes also can stop it.

Probably will need to send to BrianK to have it refurbished.

Last edited:
Its funny cause it happens when the ccu is completely off. I can be driving, windows down for an hour and then it appears, freaks me out, and then its gone. Comes back for four-five clicks and gone again. Yesterday,nothing. But I am gonna send out my ccu to Brian k. Same symptoms, on full or off. Been like that since I bought the car last July. Slowly, this car will be restored to my liking, one day at a time.

Wow, learn something new every day! Thanks for sharing the video. It IS quite annoying as you pointed out LOL.

Thank Shawn for posting the video. Beyond annoying. Scared the crap out of me. Thought someone was firing something at me!

This is totally one of your HVAC little doors trying to open/close and not functioning correctly. Next time it occurs, place your hand on the vertical section of floor carpet near where your passengers left leg would be and you will feel the door motor "skipping" over the door gear as it unsuccessfully tries to move that door. Changing Air conditioning vents to face only will turn off the motor and stop the noise.....until you want air on your feet again.....

Back